U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM

64 posts, read 69,219 times

Advertisements

I had my EB benefits run out on Apr 16. When I logged into the ESC website for the next week..instead of getting the response that claim was being processed for payment, I got the message that that my claim was accepted for processing. I don't understand why the governor is vetoing the bill. I understand that that Bev Purdue has her own agenda...hiring a new personal chef at $88,000 a year, which the state pays for. I don't fault her for that, maybe she needs some nice food prepared by a world class chef. As an unemployed voter, perhaps she could invite me to her place for dinner. That would be nice...but wait....I'm one of the unemployed that she told to go F themselves. As Gloria Gaynor said.."I will survive."

Just my .02

Last edited by Rangerbob; 04-27-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 287,096 times
Default Its pure gabage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post
I had my EB benefits run out on Apr 16. When I logged into the ESC website for the next week..instead of getting the response that claim was being processed for payment, I got the message that that my claim was accepted for processing. I don't understand why the governor is vetoing the bill. I understand that that Bev Purdue has her own agenda...hiring a new personal chef at $88,000 a year, which the state pays for. I don't fault her for that, maybe she needs some nice food prepared by a world class chef. As an unemployed voter, perhaps she could invite me to her place for dinner. That would be nice...but wait....I'm one of the unemployed that she told to go F themselves. As Gloria Gaynor said.."I will survive."

Just my .02
The fat lady hasn't sung yet. It's not over. She is not willing to lose her democrat voting base. Sure 37k are affected, but that doesn't include, wives, friends, supporters of the unemployed.

She is politically demolishing her career just to look like she has things "under control". What does that even mean(her budget instead of "their" budget). No matter who cuts the dice, the state is in a 2 million dollar HOLE. It is really absurd. I wrote Rep Tillis. This guy has been talking about the budget "being his number one priority" since early January 2011--GREAT JOB on getting that one taken care of so soon.

THIS IS FROM HIS WEBSITE With the tax increases already taking affect and more taxes on the way, democrats are trying to spin the North Carolina budget in a way that is misleading at best and dishonest at worst. Republicans are working hard to tell the facts about the democrat's budget, and YOU can help.

He is fighting the Democrats from the inside out, and has zero interest in cooperating to have a functionally running democracy in NC. Like he is not interested in putting "spin" on something..complete garbage

This is what Gov. Purdue has to deal with! Bombard his email with letters, hand write letters too. I have written four, and my girlfriend has written two.

Have a voice, get the people you love involved. This is Bull****

Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,407,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Thanks for the contacting the Senators today, TB302. Fortunately, I think all the Democrats will support our plight. It's the Republicans that we need to hound to pass a clean bill. Can some of these Republicans use some logic and let their ego get out of the way please?
The republicans aren't holding up benefits over ego. They're holding it up over a budget that spends more money in a year than the state gains from taxes. The problem is the state and a lot of citizens spend as much or more than they get in revenue and the effects of that are quite obvious. Don't hate on the republicans for trying to balance the budget. They're trying to be fiscally responsible, something that is obviously a lost concept these days.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
The republicans aren't holding up benefits over ego. They're holding it up over a budget that spends more money in a year than the state gains from taxes. The problem is the state and a lot of citizens spend as much or more than they get in revenue and the effects of that are quite obvious. Don't hate on the republicans for trying to balance the budget. They're trying to be fiscally responsible, something that is obviously a lost concept these days.
How does holding up federally funded unemployment benefits for NC unemployed help to balance the NC budget?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM

169 posts, read 287,096 times
Default Don't hate on republicans hahahahhaha

Quote:
Why would I negatively comment on a political group that has attached a political state budget agenda to a bill to help the unemployed(that is 100% federally funded might I add)? Right on the last day that unemployment for 40k people runs out. That's really ethical, and fiscally responsible.

Thats not the scummiest, greasiest possible political maneuver ever......no....

I could on and on and on...but this isn't about "hating Republicans", this is about right and wrong. This is about people. This isn't about budgets. It's about our neighbors who can no longer support themselves because the economy is in complete disarray.

Get a clue, and also educate yourself in the tenets of responsibility. Maybe you could look it up in the dictionary, then figure out if what the republicans did was "responsible"

This is about justice for the dislocated worker and the republicans have MADE this about their personal agenda.

So, go ahead wave your NC republican flag loud and proud. BUT FIRST, maybe you should learn your facts.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:08 PM

249 posts, read 273,661 times
Quote:
I'm not hating on the Republicans, Time2Travel. I just spoke to Republican Representative on the phone tonight for about 30 minutes. I'm a registered Independent Voter and I support a balanced budget.

My issue is that the Unemployment extension (which is fully funded from federal dollars and brings much needed money to circulate into the NC economy to support businesses) should not have been attached to the STATE budget in the first place. The Republicans were wrong to tie the two together.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,656,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post

Just my .02
Great, 6 messages in a row with nothing but politics and I only looked at one page.

I'd love to offer some ideas to you but we're not here to question motives and make ad hominem attacks.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,656,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerRepublican View Post
Hi. I have been reading this forum for a while and wish to thank all those who post. The information that you have provided has been greatly appreciated. I am 57 years old so finding a job has been an enormous undertaking. Moved in with in-laws this week and have applied for food stamps. Can't buy food this medication this month because health insurance runs out and I have no money to pay premium. Enough of my problems. I pray for all of you each day. I can not believe that a simple change in reporting could be such an enormous task. Just pass the bill.
Are you a veteran? If so you probably qualify for at least an office visit and there are more outpatient clinics around than ever. You probably could get meds for under $10 if you qualify or if you're not a vet see about getting the $4 generics at WalMart. I know that's no help if you can't afford to see a doc but when I was in the worse shape I was able to find some way to be seen and keep the drugs coming. You've got to take care of that if nothing else.

Good luck to you. If you are a vet and need help finding a location to get meds you can DM me and I'll look it up for you.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM

43 posts, read 51,034 times
... and their next move is to try to attach state employees' and teacher insurance fix to EB also! Talk about sleaze.

According to federal gov't calculations, unemployment in NC is closer to 17.5%, behind California and Nevada (west coast states - does that make us the highest on the east coast/south?) The economy is screwy anyway. Yes, all these things need fixing before things get worse - and they can get worse for lots more people. I don't disagree with the Republicans intent, just their process, and, geez, enough already.

You tried something to fix a few things at one time. Didn't work. How about whittling away at them one at a time? Putting celebratory anniversay type events and other trivial things on the agenda ahead of heavy duty, serious for everyone stuff, is stupid to say the least, reckless at best. Get on with it people. This one is an easy fix - pass the clean bill already. Next, tackle each budget item according to importance in the budget!!!!!!

Sorry - I am getting utterly PO'd with this crap. Not only the waiting, but the crass comments by Tillis and others who really have no idea. Live in our shoes for a week. See how it feels. Better yet, let me give you 2 weeks notice that you will have nothing coming in. How creative can you get and for how long. Next month, the retirement we pulled out to live on is gone, we haven't heard anything from the MPP (another state funded ssssllllooooowwww process), food stamps won't adjust until June 6th, and I only have enough $$ for house payment and maybe 2 other bills. Can the finance committee suggest what I should and should not pay? How about answering my phone when the calls come to let me know the obvious - we haven't received your payment.

My husband and I are not lazy. We have always worked (well, until 2 years ago anyway) wherever we needed to and we have always paid our bills, lived below our means, and socked away for a rainy day. That's supposed to have been enough, and it used to be, but these days, it's not. I am not whining - I am blessed to have what I have. I just wish all the politicians would open their eyes and see the real people behind this mess. There are others who are in a worse way then we are. And all they get is trite and flippant comments. This is not about politics, it is about flesh and blood and what is needed to make their world go round for just a little while longer.

I think we are at the point where only prayer will help (and if you don't believe that, that's your opinion, but don't send me nasty grams, please.)

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM

249 posts, read 273,661 times
Let's all write Gov. Perdue, Nesbitt, Tillis, Berger and Hackney and ask the five of them to block off some time to sit in a room together and hash out a budget that will be a compromise but "liveable" for both parties. But, of course, ask them to pass a clean bill to extend EB first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or