Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM

187 posts, read 259,177 times

Advertisements

This inactivity by the Legislature is really and truly sickening....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 PM

244 posts, read 311,383 times
For a list of members and other info. concerning NC House Republicans visit their website.

North Carolina House Republicans

Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 PM

162 posts, read 212,974 times
This inactivity shows that they are not worried about the 0.98% of the state population. Bringing H676 to the floor, if it ever makes it, will not help because the Republicans won't vote for it. If it doesn't support their agenda of power over the Gov. they say nay. Hell they voted twice today on if they could take their coats off (failed both times). That could have been a pass vote on H676.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM

122 posts, read 161,304 times
Well we have made it 1 week closer to July 1, but at this rate I wonder if any action on EB will come at all. EVER!

Last edited by stillunemployed; 04-28-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
Initial unemployment claims unexpectedly rise - The Hill's On The Money

Federal joblessness info. - What I thought was strange was that although they are saying there are decreases in claims in some areas, the ratio is waaaayyy off. They make it sound like things are looking up - but when you have a decrease of a couple thousand compared to a total of millions, I gotta question that. NC unemployment is decreasing, but only by a couple thousand compared to a total of several million still unemployed. I feel like things are looking up, how about you?

EB may eventually trigger back on, but it still begs the question - what next? I'm afraid to ask it for us. Faith, I suppose, remains.
Without meaningful job growth in the private sector...it's going to be the same story, different day. More people falling off the U3 unemployment roll, not because they found a great job...but because they exhausted their benefits or they returned to the workforce in a very limited fashion. More record foreclosures...record bankruptcies...rinse, repeat. Oh, but the fantasy unemployment number is getting smaller...woohoo!

Of course, we need our benefits extended...but even more importantly, we need to get our tails off of unemployment altogether and making money at a good job. How does that happen? Well, companies need to start hiring again IN DROVES. But we all know, being out there in the job market, that's not happening. That didn't happen in 2008, not in 2009, and has been mediocre in 2010 given the scope of the amount of jobs lost since 2007. You flush away 8-9 million jobs in 4 years and add a couple million less meaningful jobs in government and in the private sector, and you've still got a mind-boggling mess. And we have BOTH D's and R's to blame for it. It's foolish to think that, since one side treats us poorly, we're going to go ALL IN for the other side and assume they have all the answers for us. They don't. Both sides have proven they don't know how to resolve this mess...but they sure know how to spend a whole boatload of money we don't even have.

I can't stress enough the importance of preparing for "the end"...as in your 100th week unemployed. Get a piece of paper, write down a plan of what you're going to do if you're unable to find work by the time it happens. At least think about what you're going to do to protect yourself and/or your family. If you're one of the lucky ones, you'll find a good enough paying job after you attempt to slash away at your monthly expenses. Others, who may not be married or have any other income coming in, will need a miracle.

These are trying times for all of us. We feel defeated...maybe ashamed...maybe even powerless. And the NCESC hasn't made it any easier on us...(kinda why this thread exists ). Having faith does help, and also having a gameplan and being prepared for the absolute worst. That's sadly the best advice out there.

Best of luck to you all.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM

NC House Members Telephones and Emails

North Carolina General Assembly - House Telephone and Office Assignments (2011-2012 Session)

Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM

169 posts, read 314,916 times
Default July 1st does not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
Well we have made it 1 week closer to July 1, but at this rate I wonder if any action on EB will come at all. EVER!

There is no possible way this is going to take until July 1st. You have stated that on multiple occasions. This is NOT a reality.

With the crescendo of the this "hot" topic, it will either be solved or dead by mid-may. That is the logical line of thinking. They (representatives) do not want to be discussing the same issue everyday for two months straight. These are human beings who have a job to do, and the last thing they want to do is deal with the same thing DAY in and DAY out...it becomes redundant and miserable.

In addition, every democrat is pushing for H 676 to pass. Not one, not twelve, ALL.

It is obvious that a conclusion is imminent. Thank you to LAIDOFFAFTER 50 for the progressive news.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM

108 posts, read 160,640 times
Wow. Hard to believe they haven't acted on this yet. It would be one thing if everyone knew well in advance that EB was going to be triggered off with the unemployment rate still at 9.7 percent. But we had no idea. At least I didn't. I was thinking that the unemployment rate would have to drop somewhere below 8.5 percent for EB to trigger off. But we had about, what, two weeks or less notice that this was going to happen? And they waited until the day before EB was to trigger off before doing anything at all to elleviate the situation for those being suddenly cut off of UI benefits? I am still in Tier 3 so this doesn't affect me right away like it does many others. But this is just sad. It definitely doesn't show our state government in very good light. All that being said, I don't think many of us expected much better from them. Same ole same ole, with many lives caught up in the game of political football they are playing. I guess they don't think this affects enough people to warrant quick action. And don't try and tell me this is the fault of one party over the other. Both sides are playing games equally here when it could all be made to go away very easily.

Try to hang in there guys. They have to stop playing games and act sooner or later. Let's just hope it's sooner.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Sixty-one signatures are needed on the discharge petition, which would get the benefits bill to a vote of the full House. Democrats have 51 signatures.

Read more:

Unemployment petition | newsobserver.com projects

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM

187 posts, read 259,177 times
I agree with you, sacflies. I urge people to use laidoffafter50's list of Legisalative member's list of e-mails and phone numbers above to continuously call and e-mail these "characters" and urge and urge again action to restore our benefits. Don't give up. We will get our benefits back! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina