U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM

43 posts, read 51,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
I hate to make light of a serious situation but with all of those cuts,, the unemployment rate might trigger EB back on with a 2 year trigger.

Back to being serious,,,all of this is extremely sad. Where would all of those teachers get jobs? Private schools are cutting back and working their teachers to death as it is.

I am an educator myself, although I have not been in the field for the past 5 years. I know many folks who have gotten pink slips - 292 in our county just last week. The Dems would have you believe the vast majority of them are due to NC budget concerns. Be careful what you read and make sure you research it. The majority of education job losses are due to federal stimulus money no longer being provided, not uncertainty about the NC budget negotiations or what may or may not be in it. Blame that one on the Feds!

With all the mud-slinging from both sides, I think they are both exaggerating about how many jobs will be lost. The Repubs are low, the Dems too high. I've always taught my kids that there are 2 sides to every story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Same is true in this case, I'm sure. What I have never understood is why a government can run in the red but when my budget here at home does that, someone comes a-callin or a-knocking and takes care of my situation for me - know what I mean?

Compromise = meeting in the middle where the truth exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 PM

187 posts, read 234,924 times
Words of wisdom here, wtngpatiently. That's how this whole issue with unemployment will be resolved, by meeting somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM

162 posts, read 187,559 times
Read a post in another forum that sounded positive. It was posted yesterday evening. 4-28 Representative Mitch Gillespie (Rep) sent this email
Quote:
from Mitch Gillespie.

A compromise with the governor is being worked out and it should be resolved in a week or so.
Mitch

Keep the faith
I also received 2 replies to the emails I sent.

Response from Deborah K. Ross (Dem. Wake) was:

I am with you and working on it. Deborah

Response From Pricey Harrison (Dem. Guilford) was:

Thanks for being in touch on this
I am a cosponsor of the bill and am doing my best

I am sorry about any difficulties you have faced.

Best
Pricey Harrison

No Republican answers for me yet and I've been emailing for at least 2 weeks

Last edited by NCEB; 04-29-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,656,486 times
Default Thom Tillis Chat NOW

Have questions for N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis? Ask them starting at noon in Charlotte Observer live chat: http://bit.ly/9nf7W1

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

13 posts, read 15,484 times
I asked Thom Tillis about why the Republicans refuse to pass clean bills addressing the 3-year lookback like H676...he didn't address my question

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 15,484 times
Comment From Jason
Speaker Tillis, I hate to for this to sound like a broken record. But, why does your party refuse to extend the federally funded extended benefits "trigger" to a three-year "lookback". That's the intent of H676--UI/Implement EB Three-Year Lookback. Why won't the Republicans pass this simple, clean bill without attaching riders?

Speaker Thom Tillis:
The Employeement Security Commission (ESC) has done a disservice to tens of thousands of NC citizens, not the least of which is only providing 2 weeks notice about the disruption of benefits payments. We need to put the ESC and the Governor on notice that we need certainty for those on unemployment AND state employees the Gov may otherwise use as pawns for her negotiations with the General Assembly.

So...really he has no answer

Can we submit this to a news source for publication?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM

249 posts, read 273,661 times
I've a few questions but he hasn't responded... one being the urgency in general but expecially for those of us who won't received retroactive benefits when this EB kicks in again.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
Comment From Jason
Speaker Tillis, I hate to for this to sound like a broken record. But, why does your party refuse to extend the federally funded extended benefits "trigger" to a three-year "lookback". That's the intent of H676--UI/Implement EB Three-Year Lookback. Why won't the Republicans pass this simple, clean bill without attaching riders?

Speaker Thom Tillis:
The Employeement Security Commission (ESC) has done a disservice to tens of thousands of NC citizens, not the least of which is only providing 2 weeks notice about the disruption of benefits payments. We need to put the ESC and the Governor on notice that we need certainty for those on unemployment AND state employees the Gov may otherwise use as pawns for her negotiations with the General Assembly.

So...really he has no answer

Can we submit this to a news source for publication?

Ahhhh the blame game again. Has not answered any of my 5 questions.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM

249 posts, read 273,661 times
Speaker Thom Tillis:
I'm hopeful we will work something out on EB this week. I've told the Governor we are willing to compomise. Hopefully the Gov does not view compromise as simply accepting her going in position.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Speaker Thom Tillis:
I'm hopeful we will work something out on EB this week. I've told the Governor we are willing to compromise. Hopefully the Gov does not view compromise as simply accepting her going in position.
Compromise pfffft! Just pass H676 instead of stalling to use 37000+ people for leverage. He did not answer one question about H676. At least not a real answer. Never did address any of my 25 different questions. That goes to show they will not listen to anything having to do with H676. He wants the budget passed 1st then maybe there will be discussion about the unemployed.

Last edited by NCEB; 04-29-2011 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: for fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or