U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 328,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
Gov. Perdue, in an interview just before the beginning of the Democrat’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in Raleigh today.

Perdue still hoping for clean jobless benefits bill - Barry Smith - In the Loop
I wish the legislators would add one tiny little amendment to House Bill 676: that the benefits be retroactive for those who would have been eligible to sign up for EB if the program had been in effect from April 17 to whenever it is finally reauthorized. My understanding is that as it currently stands, only those who had already been approved for EB will receive back payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 15,484 times
Quote:
Gov. Perdue, in an interview just before the beginning of the Democrat’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in Raleigh today.

Perdue still hoping for clean jobless benefits bill - Barry Smith - In the Loop

I'm wondering when Raleigh is going to start adding numbers to the initial 37,000 of us who were cut off. They really don't seem to realize that every week our number is growing!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:23 PM

20 posts, read 24,233 times
The leadership is not going to tender a clean bill. At issue is how much compromise on the budget will allow the EB rider on that bill to be passed into law. That is where the compromise comes in, and that is where it will stay unless and until both sides reach some accord. This could happen. It could happen as early as next week. the fact that each side is still talking means that two weejs after the fact, it ain't over.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM

108 posts, read 145,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
I'm wondering when Raleigh is going to start adding numbers to the initial 37,000 of us who were cut off. They really don't seem to realize that every week our number is growing!
Exactly. The Gov doesn't seem to have a firm grasp of what is happening here. Can someone get to her and explain to her that every week more of the unemployed are getting cut off? Surely she must realize this, but by her comment it doesn't appear as though she does.

Then again Bev doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
It seems important little details like this are often missed by both the media and politicians. It's so much easier for them to say, "Benefits will be paid retroactively," than to put a little asterisk by that statement and explain, "Well, that's not exactly true for everybody. It's not true for those who had the misfortune of needing to apply for EB at the exact time there was a gap in EB coverage in NC."

Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM

122 posts, read 145,337 times
Was able to file again this morning on my EB claim, so if this is ever settled I may get some retroactive payments. Not counting on it! Must move on, and keep applying. Definitely staying away from any State positions, don't need another layoff in a few months!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 AM

249 posts, read 273,661 times
In your correspondence with these leaders, please mention the retroactivity issue for those not on EB when it was cut off.

I have also been mentioning in my emails to everyone that every week we go on, thousands are being added to the 37,000 that they keep mentioning in the media.

Getting the media to report this would be helpful too.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM

55 posts, read 91,768 times
I am on tier 1 and when I did my weekly certification this morning it said accepted for processing but usually says accepted for payment. Anyone have any idea what if anything this means? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM

244 posts, read 280,398 times
Capitol Hill VIDEO: Last night's On the Record: Reps Stam and Michaux talk budget, unemployment.

Unemployment discussion begins:

@ 9:45 in video

On the Record: State budget battle :: WRAL.com

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Capitol Hill VIDEO: Last night's On the Record: Reps Stam and Michaux talk budget, unemployment.

Unemployment discussion begins:

@ 9:45 in video

On the Record: State budget battle :: WRAL.com
What was that Rep. Stam said about not wanting to hold teachers and other state employees hostage to budget negotiations? Why doesn't it bother him to hold us hostage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or