U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
 
187 posts, read 235,028 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

I'm third on the same view with abcde12 and Holwager. Do not despair and think negatively and get the notion of July 1 out of your head. Things will wrap up in due timing, and, as abcde12 said, political wrangling is very normal and has always in the past been observed on both state and federal levels. Continue to call and e-mail the legislators and the governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,590 times
Reputation: 10
From another blog:
Re: North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers
by Terrync Today at 13:15



On Friday, N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, a Cornelius Republican, took questions from charlotteobserver.com readers. Below are excerpts. Questions have been edited for brevity and clarity.
Q: When will you allow a vote on the bill that would extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 North Carolinians who lost them two weeks ago on April 16?
I am hopeful we will work something out this week. We need to extend the benefits AND we need to avoid the future risk of temporary job losses if we reach an impasse on budget negotiations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
 
43 posts, read 51,059 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by achpiquon View Post
From another blog:
Re: North Carolina Unemployed make urgent plea to lawmakers
by Terrync Today at 13:15



On Friday, N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, a Cornelius Republican, took questions from charlotteobserver.com readers. Below are excerpts. Questions have been edited for brevity and clarity.
Q: When will you allow a vote on the bill that would extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 North Carolinians who lost them two weeks ago on April 16?
I am hopeful we will work something out this week. We need to extend the benefits AND we need to avoid the future risk of temporary job losses if we reach an impasse on budget negotiations.
If you read the entire article as it appeared in other sources, he answered this question and several others several times during the interview and each time he answered a question, he contradicted his previous answer. I read this last night, I think. I'll try to refind the one I read and post the link later. I don't trust Tillis - his answers are trite and flippant and appear to not really answer the direct question - EVER. Not just on EB, but on other issues.

I apologize for the negativity guys, but there hasn't really been any effort to this point to compromise by either side. They aren't doing it now, and I don't really forsee it in the future. This is gonna get ugly before we get any movement on the EB or the budget. Still find it disconcerting that ol' Bev has remained very, very quiet on several of these issues (other than to complain about how it's extortion, etc. That's not dialogue - that's finger pointing, same as the other side.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
 
43 posts, read 51,059 times
Reputation: 14
Doublespeak from the Speaker | NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield

Here's the link to the contradictory answers Tillis gave to several of the questions that were asked of him. Rather interesting, don't you think? He can't seem to give a straight answer to anything. Just being a politician I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
 
187 posts, read 235,028 times
Reputation: 32
I hear you, wtngpatiently, and I fully understand you. We need to keep up hope over this issue and try to focus positively for everyone's benefit. The house is currently in session and any news on the topic will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
 
13 posts, read 15,495 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
Comment From Jason
Speaker Tillis, I hate to for this to sound like a broken record. But, why does your party refuse to extend the federally funded extended benefits "trigger" to a three-year "lookback". That's the intent of H676--UI/Implement EB Three-Year Lookback. Why won't the Republicans pass this simple, clean bill without attaching riders?


Speaker Thom Tillis:
The Employeement Security Commission (ESC) has done a disservice to tens of thousands of NC citizens, not the least of which is only providing 2 weeks notice about the disruption of benefits payments. We need to put the ESC and the Governor on notice that we need certainty for those on unemployment AND state employees the Gov may otherwise use as pawns for her negotiations with the General Assembly.

This is the context in which his answer was given that's referenced in that article. I tried to pose the question as clearly as I could. I used the bill name, because earlier in the chat he dodged questions by claiming that he couldn't remember individual bill numbers. And instead of an answer, I got a song and dance.

Enough venting, sorry. I just wanted you all to know some of the context of quote from the last link posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
 
264 posts, read 329,022 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
Doublespeak from the Speaker | NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield

Here's the link to the contradictory answers Tillis gave to several of the questions that were asked of him. Rather interesting, don't you think? He can't seem to give a straight answer to anything. Just being a politician I think.
What struck me about Tillis' comments when I read them the other day is first he blamed the Governor and the Democrats and now he's blaming the ESC for the EB problem. He's got the emotional maturity of a 5-year-old who doesn't think he bears responsibility for anything. It's always somebody else's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
 
264 posts, read 329,022 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
This is the context in which his answer was given that's referenced in that article. I tried to pose the question as clearly as I could. I used the bill name, because earlier in the chat he dodged questions by claiming that he couldn't remember individual bill numbers. And instead of an answer, I got a song and dance.

Enough venting, sorry. I just wanted you all to know some of the context of quote from the last link posted.
I thank you for asking the direct question of the Speaker. Your direct question should have elicited a direct answer, but it's clear to anybody reading those words that he's slippery.

Nevertheless, an EB trigger update bill will pass! Relatively soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
 
249 posts, read 273,870 times
Reputation: 39
Does anyone know if the House or Senate discussed the EB extension tonight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
 
187 posts, read 235,028 times
Reputation: 32
Not to my knowledge, Holwager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top