U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM

187 posts, read 235,028 times

Advertisements

This is the latest news article on the EB issue:

FayObserver.com - Inside Politics: Cumberland Lawmakers fight for unemployment benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 PM

43 posts, read 51,059 times
RealClearPolitics - Politics - Apr 28, 2011 - Thursday at the North Carolina General Assembly

"House Democrats say they still need 10 signatures _ nine of them Republicans _ to dislodge a measure held in committee that would extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 people who've been out of work for a long time. House Minority Leader Joe Hackney, D-Orange, said there are already 51 names of legislators on what's called a discharge petition for the measure that would permit the workers to receive more benefits."

This was Thursday. Don't know if they've made any progress. Anybody know of who, Republican-wise, might be considered a fence-sitter on this who could be persuaded (via emails and calls) to sign?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM

171 posts, read 251,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Was it Rep. Wainwright, the original sponsor of House Bill 676, that started the discharge petition to jettison that bill out of the committee for a full House vote? What's happened on that front? How many signatures does it currently have and how many does it need?
It has 51 signatures and it needs 61.

It hasn't received one more past the 51 and not one republican has signed it. And if my calculations are correct 1 Democrat hasn't signed it. I thought there were 52 Democratic Reps in the House.

This wednesday will be a solid Month that they have known and have been dealing with this Or more appropriately NOT dealing with this.

On a personal note, our deadline is the 15th of May, if they can't agree to do something about this within that 45 day span then it'll be irrelevant to me financially but not socially. We just officially lost a roommate because of this which means our portion that's past due is even higher but yet we both have spent time and energy and money on helping that person as much as we can because we believe it's the right thing to do.
What makes me angry about this is that I know there are people in worse situations than we are. There are FAMILIES with children that are living on a thread and most likely families that lost apartments due to the tornadoes that are dealing with this situation also.

Do they care?.... We all truely know the answer. It's not a matter of if they will pass a bill because we know eventually they will, but it's now a social matter of how flippant they have been about this whole situation, very similar to the way they it was handled on the federal level.

The empty rhetoric from one side and the doublespeak from the other hasn't accomplished anything and to me it doesn't make it OK just because it's the "NORM" for politicians. it shouldn't be the norm.

If anybody else truely cared about this other than Wainwright then it would've been over and done with before the 15th.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM

8 posts, read 9,982 times
http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccap...9536487/]House budget debate, the short version :: WRAL.com
So hopefully things shall pass soon!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 AM

249 posts, read 273,810 times
The House Budget Debate is being streamed live. It's obvious to me that they're going to attach this revised budget to EB Benefits again to try and get Perdue to sign. Tuesday is budget day in state House :: WRAL.com

Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 AM

244 posts, read 280,551 times
Tillis is updating his facebook during the budget process:

Thom Tillis Mike...We are working on the extended benefits and we wish the Gov had approved the first bill. We need the Gov to help us avoid an even bigger risk of unemployed state workers with the Continuing Resolution. This said, if the Gov refuses to send us a compromise, we will send something else to her."

Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Time to stop playing politics on jobless benefits | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM

UPDATE: Dem Press Conference

Nesbitt: "The discharge petition will be announced on the Senate floor today."

Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM

264 posts, read 329,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
It has 51 signatures and it needs 61.

It hasn't received one more past the 51 and not one republican has signed it. And if my calculations are correct 1 Democrat hasn't signed it. I thought there were 52 Democratic Reps in the House.
I'm not sure about this, but I think one Democrat resigned from office a few months ago and their personal data remains on the NCGA website.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM

264 posts, read 329,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
UPDATE: Dem Press Conference

Nesbitt: "The discharge petition will be announced on the Senate floor today."
Does that mean it will be voted on by the full House?

Please continue to post any updates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or