U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 AM

264 posts, read 328,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
What I took away from this article is that it's a way to get Republicans on record as voting for or against unemployment benefits, even if the discharge petition doesn't acquire the 2/3 of Senate members required to force bill out of committee.

In addition to Tillis and Berger, I think we should focus our calls and emails on any Senator or Representative in our own districts who vote against the discharge petition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM

249 posts, read 273,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
What I took away from this article is that it's a way to get Republicans on record as voting for or against unemployment benefits, even if the discharge petition doesn't acquire the 2/3 of Senate members required to force bill out of committee.

In addition to Tillis and Berger, I think we should focus our calls and emails on any Senator or Representative in our own districts who vote against the discharge petition.
If they don't get enough signatures on the petition, it's my understanding that there will be no vote. Getting the Republicans in both the House and Senate to sign is key right now.

I have emails out to my Reps and Senators in my district to see if they'll sign the discharge petition.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM

244 posts, read 279,934 times
Democrats keep jobless benefits on front burner | newsobserver.com projects

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM

169 posts, read 286,612 times
Default Letter, Letter, Email....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy terry View Post
Let's keep emailing Thom Tillis, he seems to be a thorn in our heel. The man is very snubby, not a real word but the only one I can think of that I can write on this forum. I have sent over 50 emails and at least 20 phone calls to the lawmakers in NC. Only two have actually talked to me or emailed me back(I dont mean the generic reply you get) Harrington sent me an email and Mel Watts office had a very nice lady talk to me. Boy I will be changing the way I have voted for 28 years. I am 52 years old and just signed up for food stamps last week and I am selling my 15 year car asap. I have to have some sort of income. Just do not know how I will have a way to look for a job now. I live in the suburbs of charlotte and the closest bus stop is about 2 miles away. I miss the good days 2 years ago working in a law firm making very good money. This is a very sad situation for us all. T
I have written SO many letters and emails in these last two weeks. I have definitely let the state government know how I feel. I truly am sorry you are going through this. I know that my consolation doesn't put money in your pocket, but I hope it lets you know that people do care what is happening to North Carolinians. I am appalled at the state's behavior, and not like I wasn't cautious and untrusting of the state and fed government before, but now....I am utterly disgusted with both parties. The governor has handled this issue like a stubborn, greasy politician, not the stand-up compassionate leader we we elected her to be. It all comes down to a bottom line that does not matter. What do I mean? Well, North Carolina is millions of dollars in debt, this budget is not going to "save the state" from economic peril or pay off this debt in any reasonable amount of time. WHY are we(the unemployed) even in the middle of these budget talks?! It has nothing to do with people who lost their job by no fault of their own. I WANT TO SCREAM to let all this frustration out.

They are two separate issues, FED money to take care of North Carolinians is a no-brainer in this economy.

I know things will turn out ok, i just know it. What an embarrassment.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

26 posts, read 27,879 times
We can all sit here and play the blame game all day long...we all know that HB676 is a no brainer due to it being federally funded. yada, yada, yada. The fact of the matter is we are past the 1 month mark of finding out that EB would not be extended further than April 16, and absolutely nothing has been accomplished from either side. Of course there is going to be political posturing, and I know that Bev has to make tough decisions as the Gov of NC. However, what bothers me most is her silence over this whole issue - it's absolutely mind boggling, it really is.

Bev, it's time to swallow your pride and make a concerted effort towards a true compromise. Worry about the NOW, the PRESENT, and get a damn bill voted on and signed. That is your job, now go out and do it!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM

13 posts, read 15,459 times
Well, in Bev's defense, it's not like she doesn't haven't other things besides our situation on her mind...

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue to attend University of Florida graduation | Gainesville.com

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM

134 posts, read 155,983 times
Poor Bev, she is just so busy!! I love it.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

162 posts, read 187,167 times
She won't be too busy next term. Unless she pulls her head outta her a$$ and starts helping instead of blowing smoke.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 AM

134 posts, read 155,983 times
Amen to that. She needs to stand up and act like a Governor.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

169 posts, read 286,612 times
Default Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHeel View Post
We can all sit here and play the blame game all day long...we all know that HB676 is a no brainer due to it being federally funded. yada, yada, yada. The fact of the matter is we are past the 1 month mark of finding out that EB would not be extended further than April 16, and absolutely nothing has been accomplished from either side. Of course there is going to be political posturing, and I know that Bev has to make tough decisions as the Gov of NC. However, what bothers me most is her silence over this whole issue - it's absolutely mind boggling, it really is.

Bev, it's time to swallow your pride and make a concerted effort towards a true compromise. Worry about the NOW, the PRESENT, and get a damn bill voted on and signed. That is your job, now go out and do it!

Ain't that the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or