U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM

134 posts, read 156,001 times

Advertisements

I believe my story to be of interest, I know there are others worse off than me. But I will make sure Ms. Ovaska knows how hard this has been. I had to go the doctor today because for the first time in my life my blood pressure is crazy high and I am having anxiety attacks. We all know what this has done to each and every one of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 PM

21,523 posts, read 43,846,034 times
I am generally on the Unemployment Forum, but stopped here tonight because we had a question concerning North Carolina.

Not to add to your angst, but even if your legislature and Governor are able to reach agreement, Extended Benefits will not resume in North Carolina until sometime in July. Per EB regs, once a state has triggered off EB, it cannot again resume paying EB for 13 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Unfortunately, current federal law requires that once a state triggers off EB, that state cannot trigger those benefits back on until 13 weeks later. So unless there is a change in legislation, there's nothing that can be done until that 13-week period passes.

If your state does trigger EB back on, you will be able to collect benefits then, provided you are unemployed at that time. But the benefits won't be retroactive, so you cannot collect for the weeks you were unemployed while EB was triggered off.

Confused about states ending EB based on falling below 110%...
diorgirl is our resident guru on unemployment and she is rarely wrong. Perhaps your NC legislators can figure a way around this but, from what I've read so far, your legislature is scattered, uninformed and unmotivated on this issue.

I am so sorry for all of you. I am in WI. No one here is even talking about passing legislation to get ours going again. We, too, ceased on April 16. I have made calls and written emails with no response whatsoever. I get the impression when I do finally connect with someone in Madison, they do not understand the issue or its impact.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 PM

162 posts, read 187,196 times
The NCESC if I remember correctly said NC EB payments would be retro for those already on EB.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM

169 posts, read 286,639 times
Default Normally you would be correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I am generally on the Unemployment Forum, but stopped here tonight because we had a question concerning North Carolina.

Not to add to your angst, but even if your legislature and Governor are able to reach agreement, Extended Benefits will not resume in North Carolina until sometime in July. Per EB regs, once a state has triggered off EB, it cannot again resume paying EB for 13 weeks.

diorgirl is our resident guru on unemployment and she is rarely wrong. Perhaps your NC legislators can figure a way around this but, from what I've read so far, your legislature is scattered, uninformed and unmotivated on this issue.

I am so sorry for all of you. I am in WI. No one here is even talking about passing legislation to get ours going again. We, too, ceased on April 16. I have made calls and written emails with no response whatsoever. I get the impression when I do finally connect with someone in Madison, they do not understand the issue or its impact.
If the three year look back is adopted it will resume immediately. I haven't heard of the 13 week wait, and I have been doing quite a bit of research in order to stay completely informed. The EB is now 100% federally funded, it used to be 50% state and 50% federal, maybe why their was this 13 week wait after it is reinstated.

I will look into this, but I don't think that is our case here in NC. Once benefits are reinstated, our checks will be released accordingly(now retroactive payments are a different issue, their are some specific deadlines concerning that).

Last edited by HistoryProf2011; 05-06-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM

249 posts, read 273,177 times
assignmentdesk@News14.com can be contacted with storie suggestions as well.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Default Normally you would be correct

I wonder if your right? Does anyone know anything about a 13 week wait that the previous poster is referring to? If you are on a tier(tier 4) system right now, and EB gets triggered back on next week, once your tier ends....you will roll into EB, correct?

I called the NCESC and they told me that if something passes to trigger the EB back on, then if you are eligible at the time you will get it. The commission did not mention anything about a 13 week waiting period at all.

Geez, ariadne22 you really did just add to my angst. I don't think our legislators are "scattered, uninformed, or unmotivated". They have misguided priorities due to party conflict and budget agendas, but our representatives know whats going on. Their are many advocates for the unemployed, even though their has been no immediate action. I have spoken with five representatives today personally.

I scoured the internet trying to find something on a 13 week reinstatement waiting period. I found the post by the senior member diorgirl, but I could not find any federal or state law stating that.

Last edited by HistoryProf2011; 05-06-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 PM

171 posts, read 251,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
If the three year look back is adopted it will resume immediately. I haven't heard of the 13 week wait, and I have been doing quite a bit of research in order to stay completely informed. The EB is now 100% federally funded, it used to be 50% state and 50% federal, maybe why their was this 13 week wait after it is reinstated.

I will look into this, but I don't think that is our case here in NC. Once benefits are reinstated, our checks will be released accordingly(now retroactive payments are a different issue, their are some specifics and deadlines concerning that).

If it is true it didn't apply to Missouri. The Gov. signed the bill on the 28th and expects for checks to be mailed out within a few days.

Missouri governor extends unemployment benefits | Unemployment Extension 2010-2011 Info and Tier 5 Unemployment Extension

Which is very embarrassing to us. Missouri purposefully let the trigger go back on April 1st ,, remember , and they were able to get a bill started 13 days later. It then took two more weeks for the Gov. to sign it. Their estimated lost of benefits were 10,000. Not 37,000. Our estimate was even higher than Michigan's who passed a bill before it expired.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM

The failure to mention a 13-week waiting period was because (1) you didn't ask about it and (2) the agent probably doesn't know there is one. EB is not EUC.

We have astounding stories over on the Unemployment Forum of misinformation imparted to callers by the unemployment reps in various states. It is amazing how little knowledge some of them have. They often confuse the guidelines for EUC tiers with those of EB, two very different programs. Latest was from PA claimant who called PA DOL his EB status. PA will be triggering off high EB in the next month or so, as its employment rate continues to drop. Rep told claimant he would be able to collect the entire 20 weeks if he was eligible for EB before PA triggered off. This is patently wrong. Rep was confusing guidelines for EUC tiers w/EB.

We also have had many other stories of confusing and conflicting misinformation imparted by CA, IL, NY, FL and elsewhere. I usually advise anyone calling their unemployment office to call several times. They will not consistently get the same answer as agent knowledge varies greatly.

Everyone is learning - the unemployment offices and the claimants - through this unprecedented period of high unemployment and its many layers of benefits, each of which has its own rules.

If NC resumes EB immediately on passage of the lookback, that would great. Keep us posted over on Unemployment Forum as things develop.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
If it is true it didn't apply to Missouri. The Gov. signed the bill on the 28th and expects for checks to be mailed out within a few days.

Missouri governor extends unemployment benefits | Unemployment Extension 2010-2011 Info and Tier 5 Unemployment Extension

Which is very embarrassing to us. Missouri purposefully let the trigger go back on April 1st ,, remember , and they were able to get a bill started 13 days later. It then took two more weeks for the Gov. to sign it. Their estimated lost of benefits were 10,000. Not 37,000. Our estimate was even higher than Michigan's who passed a bill before it expired.

I know, Missouri's situation is almost identical to North Carolinas(except NC hasn't passed anything to release the EB to struggling people of the state).

If something passes their is no waiting period. At least I have not heard of anything like that until now. If something passes in NC, everyone's EB benefits resume.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post

According to the NELP chart (admittedly somewhat outdated), Missouri was not due to trigger off until May. Usually payments continue for two weeks after that. Many states have realized how critical it is to get this legislation passed and have scrambled to do so.

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/UI/2011/n...is.pdf?nocdn=1

But now I'm getting into other states' business. I hope diorgirl is wrong and that EB resumes in every state immediately upon passage of the appropriate lookback legislation.

Night all.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-06-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or