U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM

108 posts, read 146,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Torbett is an idiot. He apparently doesn't realize that EB triggered off not because the unemployment rate went down, but because it didn't increase from the previous 2 years.
He doesn't seem to realize that we are in unprecedented territory here as far as unemployment goes. Not only has it never been as high as it has been over the past three years, but it has never been this high for this long. The current (or former in many states now) calculation to determine EB in the states doesn't take into account the length of time the unemployment rate has been high. EB should not be turned off with the rate still very high at 9.7 in NC. Can't these pinheads figure this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 PM

134 posts, read 156,296 times
Wow!! What has happened to these people in the House and Senate to make them treat the jobless so unfairly. I emailed him, too.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM

162 posts, read 187,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cereid67 View Post
This is the feedback I got back from Rep. John Torbett (Rep)

First of all I have been given two phone numbers for you to call for help at the employment security office. 1-866-278-3822 and 1-888-737-0259. Next, if you are eligible for unemployment that funding is still in place until January 2012. The extended benefits that were stopped, is only because the unemployment rate has reached the percentage that these benefits were in place for and this was explained when they were started. Lastly, hopefully there may still be an agreement reached to start back the extended benefits, even though the percentage of unemployment has reached the rate as outlined in the state program.

I am deeply saddened as to the state of our economy and am doing my best to help straighten out our budget and provide opportunity for folks to get back to work.

Best,
John

Office of the People of House District 108
John A. Torbett, Representative
North Carolina General Assembly
537 Legislative Office Building
300 N. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
O: 919-733-5868
H: 704-263-9282
John.torbett@ncleg.net
I received the same response from him. They don't know how it feels to be in this situation. Come 2012 they be out of the House and have to see the reality of it. I didn't get another response from Laroque after I answered the questionnaire he sent.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM

264 posts, read 329,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
He doesn't seem to realize that we are in unprecedented territory here as far as unemployment goes. Not only has it never been as high as it has been over the past three years, but it has never been this high for this long. The current (or former in many states now) calculation to determine EB in the states doesn't take into account the length of time the unemployment rate has been high. EB should not be turned off with the rate still very high at 9.7 in NC. Can't these pinheads figure this out?
I understand the reasoning that the unemployment rate needs to be above a certain level for EB to trigger on. But I don't understand their reasoning that the unemployment rate needs to be increasing. Do they think a high unemployment rate is something that a state and its unemployed citizens can get used to in a way that would make a social safety net unnecessary?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 10,717 times
This is the feedback I received from Rep. Paul Luebke (Dem)

What I meant to be saying was:
Both House Speaker Tillis and Senate leader Berger are receiving a lot of public criticism (epsecially from the state's newspapers) for their unwillingness to run the separate bill.
As the criticism continues, I am hoping that they will in fact decide to pass the benefits bill. But I can only hope, for your sake, because as a House Democrat I have no control over what the House and Senate Republican majority will decide.
I do think your emails to legislators make a difference. Also, if your local newspaper (where is that?) has not already written a story about the issue, why not call the newspaper to see if a reporter will write a story about your situation.

Best wishes,
Paul Luebke

Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM

92 posts, read 84,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Don't have a problem with Bachmann? Well, I do, I got lots of problems with Bachmann, but I'm not even going to go down that path!

From what I hear, Al Franken is a very hard-working legislator. And of course I agree with much of his liberal agenda.
Jesse Ventura as Governor went to battle for the people of Minnesota and not only once got back about 1200.00 dollars in over paid taxes we the people paid too much. That was for every tax paying citizen of Minnesota. The State was in the black of over some octeen billion dollars and Jesse went to work and he wanted too show the people, the State over the years was hiding Money. Today I think Minnesota wants it back.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 PM

171 posts, read 251,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
personally I hope they do testing on all welfare recipiants. I remember growing up as a kid just as many people I knew who got food stamps to use just for food got them and sold some.
the problem with this is that it cost even more to test the whole in order to weed out a small percentage.Most jobs and careers require drug testing anyway , so the state is going to pay for something that's done already.

This is all fine for a state that's in a surplus and looking to cut the undesirables from government assistance. For example this kind of program would've been fine in the 90's, but now we are looking at cutting state jobs, including education. it doesn't make sense to spend more money on a program like this when we're cutting spending in important areas.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 PM

44 posts, read 57,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc58 View Post
I'm hoping someone can help answer a couple of questions. My unemployment benefits year ended yesterday. I'm in tier 2 benefits right now. I went ahead and filed my weekly claim today because I wasn't sure if I should or not (figured better safe than sorry). It said my claim was accepted for processing, then when I clicked "finish" it told me my year had expired. Will I receive a payment tomorrow?

I was planning to go in to my unemployment office tomorrow and file for a "transitional claim," which is what they told me I needed to do. Does anyone know if I will draw the same amount weekly or if there is anything I need to be concerned about that would prevent me from continuing to draw? I have not worked at all since I was laid off on May 14th of last year. I'm also told there is a waiting period of a week and I'm wondering if there's any trick to avoiding this...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Make sure of the amounts. When I finished my benefit year they did something weird & moved me to the next tier. I asked about it & they moved me back to finish the previous tier. Along the way I lost a week or two of benefits.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:24 PM

44 posts, read 57,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1girl View Post
I don't understand why they are going after the unemployed. People who have worked hard all their life and were laid off through no fault of their own. Why don't they do something about creating jobs to help us get off of unemployment. So this is what they have been busy doing instead of passing EB. Now I know there is not a snow balls chance in hell, EB will be restored. Which bill do I not pay?
I have no problem withe being drug tested or with doing community service, as long as that service matches my skills & contributes to both me & the recipient. Also, because I worked from a home office I'd expect the community service to be something I could do from home.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 AM

249 posts, read 273,810 times
Default LaRoque's last response to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEB View Post
I received the same response from him. They don't know how it feels to be in this situation. Come 2012 they be out of the House and have to see the reality of it. I didn't get another response from Laroque after I answered the questionnaire he sent.
I had asked if it's safe to assume the Republicans won't pass a clean bill to extend EB. He replied, "I wouldn’t say that. The legislative leadership and the governor will have to work it out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or