U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 AM

171 posts, read 242,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
I really do believe their will be some kind of movement on this issue soon. I know we have all been saying that(next week ...next week...). These growing media articles are becoming explosive, and simultaneously, more critical of Republican stubbornness.

The unfortunate thing, is that the governor is getting off the hook. Her unwillingness to compromise is being ignored. Her silence on this issue has been reprehensible. Instead of focusing on her campaign(education, jobs, etc, etc), she has pushed aside the real people in need by her SILENCE.

My speculation is that this will be brought to a fever pitch. Someone will not take the state's negligence any longer, and make a deep enough impression on representatives to incite reinstatement. After electric gets cut off, or children are going hungry, people get desperate.

I have written and written and written. I feel stifled, and I have had enough smoke blown up my a**. Logic doesn't seem to work, articulated statements don't seem to work,maybe these "leaders" are going to do what they want to do when they want to do it.

Any updates would be great
The Governor isn't getting off without damage either. Check her facebook page and check "most recent post" which is hidden behind her "good news post" that her AID submits. She is taking a beating and not necessarily because she VETOED the bill but because she has been silent about the whole thing. This situation has shown her true colors. We've known the true colors of GOP for a long time. But the fact that she hasn't used the media to champion this cause shows that she really doesn't want to be associated with the unemployed. She just wants to be associated with ALL the great jobs coming to NC in the next two years.

When I make it past this horrible time in my life I swear I will do all that I can to support anyone that runs against her in the Democratic Primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM

244 posts, read 273,415 times
GOP ransom note | NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield

Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM

169 posts, read 280,373 times
Default Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
The Governor isn't getting off without damage either. Check her facebook page and check "most recent post" which is hidden behind her "good news post" that her AID submits. She is taking a beating and not necessarily because she VETOED the bill but because she has been silent about the whole thing. This situation has shown her true colors. We've known the true colors of GOP for a long time. But the fact that she hasn't used the media to champion this cause shows that she really doesn't want to be associated with the unemployed. She just wants to be associated with ALL the great jobs coming to NC in the next two years.

When I make it past this horrible time in my life I swear I will do all that I can to support anyone that runs against her in the Democratic Primary.
Geez

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM

134 posts, read 152,306 times
Guess I will vote for any independent that runs. I can't support the clowns anymore.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM

92 posts, read 82,359 times
HMMM! a bill to make NASCAR the “offical state sport,” I wonder what bill they will attach to this. Hopefully the EB AND IT SHOULD PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM

249 posts, read 266,461 times
I just got another email from Rep. Bert Jones (the one who told me that he didn't have time to correspond with me anymore.) He's defending their actions and trying to blame the Governor as always. I sent him some links that LaidOffAfter50 had posted and let him know that Perdue isn't looking good either. I also told him that the Associated Press is being contacted and there's going to be a media blitz and that he and his fellow Republicans can be the "good guys" and pass a clean bill asap. Obviously the Governor is not affected by their ransom note.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Response from Rep. Jones (Republican viewpoint)

There are considerable implications of there not being a budget in place on July 1.

Under the NC Constitution, the General Assembly is the only branch of government that can authorize the appropriation of funds. The Governor is only authorized to spend funds as appropriated by the General Assembly. Bills appropriating money are subject to veto by the Governor. While most unspent funds remaining at the end of June will revert to the General Fund to be reappropriated, some non-reverting funds may still be available to be used for previously appropriated purposes (i.e. funds appropriated to the General Assembly do not revert and the reserves may be used for operating the General Assembly as approved by the Legislative Services Commission, the Speaker and the Pro Tempore without further appropriation.). Certainly resources purchased with appropriated funds in this fiscal year can be utilized after July 1, (i.e. food purchased by the Department of Corrections for feeding inmates). Beyond, it is not clear if the Governor has emergency powers under the constitution to spend unappropriated revenues for other State purposes.

As to the unemployment benefits, both state and federal unemployment in NC is administered by the NC Employment Security Commission, which is a State agency, partially funded with federal money. It may be true that ESC cannot spend money (i.e. for personnel, mail, etc.) to distribute unemployment benefits, without the an appropriation by the General Assembly signed or not vetoed by the Governor.

The bottom line is that the Governor has strongly implied that she will veto a budget that reduces spending rather than raises taxes. The General Assembly will not raise taxes. A few Democrats voted for the House budget, but the Governor is putting a lot of pressure on them to switch and support a veto. If there is a budget impasse, it will wreak havoc on virtually every state employee and state agency, including the one that distributes unemployment benefits. The bill sent to the governor was a very responsible solution that simply keeps this from happening. She only wants a “clean bill” because it gives her the ability to potentially hold everyone hostage under the pressure of a shutdown… this bill removes that threat of political posturing.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Response to Rep. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
There are considerable implications of there not being a budget in place on July 1. ...

As to the unemployment benefits, both state and federal unemployment in NC is administered by the NC Employment Security Commission, which is a State agency, partially funded with federal money. It may be true that ESC cannot spend money (i.e. for personnel, mail, etc.) to distribute unemployment benefits, without the an appropriation by the General Assembly signed or not vetoed by the Governor.

The bottom line is that the Governor has strongly implied that she will veto a budget that reduces spending rather than raises taxes. The General Assembly will not raise taxes. A few Democrats voted for the House budget, but the Governor is putting a lot of pressure on them to switch and support a veto. If there is a budget impasse, it will wreak havoc on virtually every state employee and state agency, including the one that distributes unemployment benefits. The bill sent to the governor was a very responsible solution that simply keeps this from happening. She only wants a “clean bill” because it gives her the ability to potentially hold everyone hostage under the pressure of a shutdown… this bill removes that threat of political posturing.
The Governor is already creating great opposition from the masses for her power trip and overuse of her veto power. Tying the EB bill to the budget obviously didn't work in trying to force her hand. Holding out longer won't move her, it's only hurting NC families and businesses.

The press is getting a hold of these tactics and the Republicans are looking really bad over this. It's only going to get worse. Just pass a clean bill and deal with the Governor over the budget issue as it should be dealt, without threats and hostages.

If you take this stance, the Governor will be shed in the light she should be and the Republicans will come out on top. The 5 Democrats won't sway to her side. She's already being presumptious in the media that she's confident they'll come back to her "side." She's looking bad. When it comes to leading this state and helping its citizens, there shouldn't be SIDES. Just do the right thing. People are losing their homes, unable to buy gas to go on job interviews or even buy food for their children. This has gone on long enough.

Here are some recent posts to consider. The Associated Press is being contacted and this story is going to hit the mainstream media. I would suggest you take this very seriously. Let's just get this job done.

WataugaWatch: Gen'l Assembly GOP: 'Beyond Indecent'

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2011/...by-gop-day-20/ (broken link)

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM

134 posts, read 152,306 times
I will email Mr. Jones too. Just keep posting the names that we need to hit hardest with calls and emails. Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM

169 posts, read 280,373 times
Default Best response I have heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
There are considerable implications of there not being a budget in place on July 1.

Under the NC Constitution, the General Assembly is the only branch of government that can authorize the appropriation of funds. The Governor is only authorized to spend funds as appropriated by the General Assembly. Bills appropriating money are subject to veto by the Governor. While most unspent funds remaining at the end of June will revert to the General Fund to be reappropriated, some non-reverting funds may still be available to be used for previously appropriated purposes (i.e. funds appropriated to the General Assembly do not revert and the reserves may be used for operating the General Assembly as approved by the Legislative Services Commission, the Speaker and the Pro Tempore without further appropriation.). Certainly resources purchased with appropriated funds in this fiscal year can be utilized after July 1, (i.e. food purchased by the Department of Corrections for feeding inmates). Beyond, it is not clear if the Governor has emergency powers under the constitution to spend unappropriated revenues for other State purposes.

This response made the most sense of any of the responses that have been posted. It still contains a republican agenda, but something in this paragraph does what I have been waiting for: holds the governor accountable. It is truly a chess game, and this is the checkmate(removing the threat of future political positioning). The republicans want their agenda pushed through, but it seems that the governor will not compromise on anything they want(and they are the majority!). What a cluster****. This doesn't seem like the smoke the DEMS have been blowing, this seems like what is happening.
A stubborn ego-driven governor, rooted in old-boy politics, not wanting to budge off her cement podium--and who is made to suffer?--the disenfranchised worker, the families of NC, the over 45 worker who can't find a job in this hostile market, the overqualified laid off employee, etc., etc.

I have written the local journalist that was posted here: Sarah Ovaska
sarah@ncpolicywatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or