U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM

264 posts, read 213,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post
I called our local news channel WLOS channel 13 and asked them if they would be interested in the story. I was told by a producer that it wasn't "news worthy" for them. After some quick research, I found out that they were owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group, a Republican owned group. So, sorry, no help from Western North Carolina....Henderson, Buncombe, Rutherford, Transylvania Counties. If any of you would like to try, you can find all of their contact numbers here...WLOS ABC13 :: Station Info
Any other news outlets you can contact in your area -- TV or newspaper? If a newspaper won't run an article, letters to the editor are the next best thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:18 PM

134 posts, read 97,684 times
I emailed WLOS also, just to see what they would say. Looks like they are not reporting on the issue at all. The Charlotte Observer has been pretty good about the story. I am starting my email crusade again, this time I started at the bottom of the General Assembly list and work my way up.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:18 PM

64 posts, read 41,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Any other news outlets you can contact in your area -- TV or newspaper? If a newspaper won't run an article, letters to the editor are the next best thing.
I've tried every outlet. WNC is a heavy Republican area. I'm thinking seriously about calling Ellen Degeneress or Oprah.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 PM

11 posts, read 7,665 times
Default Email List for the H676 Bill

Sorry tried posting the text file but it screwed up the list with EMail tags

but soleprovider here is the email I sent to all the local news orgs. (wcti, witn, wnct...)

From Unemployed to Homeless...

I have been unemployed for some time, and as it would seem thats not going to change now that I have lost my home. I was one of the 37,000+ that was on the federal EB program, and with only a week's warning we learned that NC was no longer quilifed. The reason being that the calculations used for this program became out of date. There was (and still is) an easy fix for this, the house bill H676. It is a standalone bill that will allow NC to continue to the extened befits from the federal sector. The "fix" that the General Assembly tried passing to fix this was also attached to budget bill that Gov. Purdue vetoed. I'm not saying the veto was wrong, but the fact she has not tried to fix this problem or even mention it IS. Also the GOP controlled General Assembly is at fault for trying to use the Unemployed as pawns. This is not about politics its about the lives of families.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 PM

264 posts, read 213,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbob View Post
I've tried every outlet. WNC is a heavy Republican area. I'm thinking seriously about calling Ellen Degeneress or Oprah.
Why not? We've got nothing to lose.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Why not? We've got nothing to lose.
I agree....years ago I sat on a rooftop raising money for MDA. The local press was all over it, and it went national. We ended up raising 10 thousand dollars for Jerry's kids. The Times-News - Google News Archive Search Scroll down for the article.

A lot of that was local donations, but if it weren't for the national news, it never would have happened.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

187 posts, read 152,926 times
Keep calling and e-mailing the legislators and call Perdue's office! ! They are keeping a tally on how many phone calls they receive to see how much interest is in the EB issue. Call and call again and get friends and family to call! !

Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 7,665 times
Default Doning a story

sarah@ncpolicywatch.org
She is doing a story about this, and she is looking people for a radio interview.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGuru79 View Post
sarah@ncpolicywatch.org"]sarah@ncpolicywatch.org[/email]
She is doing a story about this, and she is looking people for a radio interview.

I sent her an email...thanks for the info.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

45 posts, read 28,719 times
Does this extension have any shot at all in being passed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina