Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM

162 posts, read 193,363 times

Advertisements

I am so happy to be on this forum and to support and be supported by proactive people. We do have to keep bombarding them. I have not heard from CNN or MSNBC yet. I don't want it to just be reported, I want someone to interview these Republican representatives and ask them why they won't reinstate the benefits and stop hiding behind the budget. It can be a standalone and done quickly. No reporters are interviewing them and putting them on the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM

169 posts, read 314,838 times
Default My composed letter to the AP and to representatives

To the Associated Press:

This will be the first time I have felt as incensed about a situation to be provoked to write the North Carolina Associated Press. We are all aware of the debilitated state of our state's economy. Despite “job tours” promoted by our governor, and misleading news that has coined phrases such as “North Carolina is leading the country out of a recession”. By shear numbers alone, we can recognize that the high unemployment rate has been unwavering, and the challenges that the disenfranchised workers of North Carolina faces in finding a job has remained unchanged.
In the last three to four weeks something reprehensible has occurred in our state. The unemployed have been used as chess pieces to jockey power towards either the Republican or Democrat party. As you are well aware, the federal government has signed on to extend EB unemployment for the long-term unemployed with 100% federal funding. There would be no further debt to the state, and the federal funding would continue to help disenfranchised workers through 2012.
It would seem like a “no brainer” right? The federal money would continue to help the disenfranchised worker until a possible economic upswing, while maintaining a steady revenue flow for 40,000 people, which of course, would end up contributing back into the North Carolina economy through businesses, service industries, etc. Instead, the GOP and the democrats are hashing out budget debates, approving NASCAR as the official state sport, and I kid you not, creating a bill to make the celebration of Cinco De Mayo a state-wide venture. All the while, the governor has remained silent about the 40,000 people who are suffering at the state government's negligence. I am one of those workers.
I feel like it is my civic duty to write to you as an advocate of each of these downtrodden workers, who incidentally, lost their job by no fault of their own: the single mother, the low income family, and yes, the struggling student. The bickering between the governor and the GOP is a form of childishness that one wouldn't expect from elected officials. In fact, one wouldn't expect amongst adults.
The Republicans attached their state budget agenda to a federally funded unemployment bill, which was obviously in extremely poor taste. On the other hand, the governor will not budge on her taxation policies. She refuses to compromise as she stands on her concrete podium. She is rooted in good-old-boy politics, and ultimately,is not willing to admit “defeat” to a emboldened GOP. It has become an old fashioned standoff, with the fate of the unemployed inextricably tied to a completely unrelated state budget. This is injustice, and there are a large amount of people that are being affected by it.
Of course, this is how politics plays out sometimes. It is just very disconcerting to see something like a federally funded extension bill, which is a document that could be signed with one quick pen stroke, be mismanaged and a misappropriated by the people who are supposed to “lead” us.

Thank You for your time and consideration,

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM

169 posts, read 314,838 times
Default I called the committee

1-919-733-5786

I spoke to Danny, he said their is a subcommittee meeting pertaining to the budget, and not the normal Wednesday committee meeting that would address bill h676. I hope Mr.Nesbitt has a rabbit he can pull out of his hat.

On another note, great show of support and push for media coverage. I am actively taking part in this "fight", and it is excellent to see people holding the government accountable for their poor behavior.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 12,966 times
Do not lose faith or hope, we have all contributed to our cause. Congratulations to all who joined us on our ordeal. God looks down and do not forsake us. Have faith. Faith moves mountains.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM

49 posts, read 63,124 times
Default Media coverage

The article written about the jobless/benefits standoff has been picked up by the following:
cnbc
msnbc
forbes
businessweek
greenwichtimes
yahoo.biz
moneywatch.bnet

National Media...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42976544 (broken link)

Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM

244 posts, read 311,280 times
Those 37,000 unemployed: Still waiting | newsobserver.com projects

Old 05-10-2011, 12:46 PM

244 posts, read 311,280 times
Berger: Budget moving, but not benefits :: WRAL.com

Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM

249 posts, read 304,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
Can't wait to see what Nesbitt has up his sleeve. Hope it works!!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,040 times
Can someone tell me the names of any organizations that may be able to help me from getting evicted. I'm calling churches now but I'm getting desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina