U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM

134 posts, read 104,539 times

Advertisements

Man those repubs care sneaky. They say that the want the extended benefits, but they won't sign petition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM

156 posts, read 108,370 times
House adjourns for the day... WOW!!! A whole 80 minutes of the peoples business!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM

162 posts, read 121,662 times
Adjourned yet again a little over 1 hour. They coulda added 15-30 minutes to that and made my headache go away.

Quote:
Can someone tell me the names of any organizations that may be able to help me from getting evicted. I'm calling churches now but I'm getting desperate.

Crisis Assistance Ministry

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

162 posts, read 121,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy terry View Post
Man those repubs care sneaky. They say that the want the extended benefits, but they won't sign petition.

The Senate is going to cut the budget till they reach the same figures that are in H383, the vetoed bill, and then tell Perdue to stick up her ***. Sign this one or let the veto be overridden. Of course I hope that's not the case and Sen. Nesbitt gets something done about this. If we can convince them that this is what's going to happen maybe they will override the veto.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Just received email from Alexandra Sirota, NC Justice Center. She is working on an event for Charlotte on Monday, concerning EB. She will send out details as she gets them. You can go to NC Justice Center and let her know you would like details. Anyone in Charlotte area let's rally for our benefits with her.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 5,146 times
Thanks for all the enthusiasm and good information that you good people have made available. I do not post many messages as I prefer to listen but I have been in touch with legislators and the governor on a consistent basis.

After much thought I believe that our benefits are not going to be restored. I base this on all the comments from officials and from correspondence I have received from my representative. I do not think that the republican leadership and republican representatives have any concern for us and never had any intention of passing legislation to continue benefits. I think the only reason they passed HR383 was that they knew the Governor would veto it.

When this saga first began I immediately e-mailed my representative. His response was that he very much wanted to help us and that the legislature had in fact passed a bill to do just that. He suggested that I contact Gov. Perdue with my concerns as she had vetoed the bill. After the house passed the budget (H200) I again contact my rep. and asked that since this appeared to be a veto proof bill would he now move forward to restore EB. This is his reply:

Quote:
"I know that has been quietly worked on, even during the budget process. Not sure just where it stands right now, but should find out soon.

In all fairness, I must reveal to you that last weekend while I was in town, three different employers (in random conversations not sought out or directed by mean) all bemoaned the fact that they cannot find enough employees to fully staff their businesses. One is the largest private employer in the RM area, who told me they currently need 200 production workers who only need a high school education. Another, when asked why he can’t find workers, said, “Unemployment payments.”

I must admit to you that conversations like this put me in a moral quandary. And this is not the first time I have heard this. Other employers, including some who are known as among the most generous in Nash County, told me the same thing during the campaign.

Somehow we have to figure out how to help people who are truly in need and cannot find any job through which they can support their families while not allowing people to choose unemployment compensation over working for a living. For this, we need the wisdom of Solomon.

As you cited, thank you ever so much for the civil discourse on this and other topics. I am truly tired of the rants I have been receiving from MA, CA, Paris and Helsinki (that's right, Finland!) this week.

God bless you,"
It seems that when the budget aspect clears there will be some other reason not to restore our benefits.

I will continue to call and write but I am not encouraged.

God Bless you All!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM

187 posts, read 163,506 times
formerRepublican, I fully understand your anxiety here, especially after receiving such cynical responses from people that are supposed to "represent the people" of our state. I want to encourage everyone to keep the faith that something will eventually give and we will see our benefits restored. Any updates on the EB situation, as well as all members' opinions on this issue, are greatly appreciated and respected.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM

249 posts, read 179,593 times
formerRepublican, you might want to mention to your Representative that we are asking for the 20 weeks that the Federal government has agreed to extend, not a blanket long term unemployment agenda. We were cut off without notice which put us in a difficult situation.

As many of you know, Republicans in Congress are trying to pull back this EB money and allow states to choose whether to give it top the people or use it for other programs that they feel will fix the unemployment problem.

We're talking about a short term fix here so the moral quandry that your Rep. is facing really doesn't come into play with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerRepublican View Post
Thanks for all the enthusiasm and good information that you good people have made available. I do not post many messages as I prefer to listen but I have been in touch with legislators and the governor on a consistent basis.

After much thought I believe that our benefits are not going to be restored. I base this on all the comments from officials and from correspondence I have received from my representative. I do not think that the republican leadership and republican representatives have any concern for us and never had any intention of passing legislation to continue benefits. I think the only reason they passed HR383 was that they knew the Governor would veto it.

When this saga first began I immediately e-mailed my representative. His response was that he very much wanted to help us and that the legislature had in fact passed a bill to do just that. He suggested that I contact Gov. Perdue with my concerns as she had vetoed the bill. After the house passed the budget (H200) I again contact my rep. and asked that since this appeared to be a veto proof bill would he now move forward to restore EB. This is his reply:

It seems that when the budget aspect clears there will be some other reason not to restore our benefits.

I will continue to call and write but I am not encouraged.

God Bless you All!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM

244 posts, read 189,117 times
Simply shameful | NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield

Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Dear All,

As you are all aware, the bill that would fix the extended benefit trigger has still not moved. We are working to generate ongoing media attention to this issue as well as ensure that policymakers remain aware that many families are affected across the state by their inaction.

For those of you who would like more regular updates, we are trying to provide them on this website: The Progressive Pulse or www.ncpolicywatch.com As well, we are making every effort to share stories from folks as we get them. More on this effort soon.

In the meantime, we are also planning a press event in Charlotte at 11:30 am on Monday to call on the Speaker of the House and the leadership to move the extended benefit bill forward. The event will be held at the Employment Security Commission office at 5601 Executive Center Drive, Charlotte, NC 28212. Please let me know if you will be able to attend as we are trying to get a sense of numbers.

Sincerely, Alexandra

Alexandra Forter Sirota
Director
North Carolina Budget and Tax Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina