U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,401 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Yea, I don't understand it either. Tier 3 amount has nothing to do with EB amount. So that $2579 might have been what was left in EB, but that is not your Tier 3 amount. Tier 3 should be 50% of the number of weeks of your regular UI. If I could look at your claim I would.

Yea, well, this is the same person that told me file an appeal, too, so who knows. I thought anyone potentially eligible for the new extensions were supposed to have rec'd a letter last month and when I did NOT, I felt like something was amiss, so I did ask if I would get a new eligibilty letter in the mail and she replied I would not.....that the letter I got regarding the EB (last August)WAS the only letter...that I'm just using the remainder, yet she said it was no longer EB, but now called EUC3 ( and I took notes and copied her verbatem), hence my question earlier regarding whether EB had been renamed. She said I used Regular UE, then EUC 1 & 2, then started to receive EB, but my benefit year ended with a remaining balance of $2579, which is now called EUC3, and I will use this and then when that is gone, I would qualify for EUC 4, assuming I have not found employment by then. So, all I know to do is wait until Monday and view my claim or payment history---I think one of those pages lists the benefit amount (?) and see what it says. I don't know what this transaction is that she did, but sounds like she entered the benefit amount of $2579 herself? Not sure b/c I don't know how you guys do those. I know this lady always consults with a supervisor who seems to be overwhelmingly busy, so I suppose it is entirely possible that they made a mistake, as with the appeal, which she even admitted was her mistake. Anyway---thanks again. If YOU don't totally get it either, I don't feel quite so bad. I've gone from thinking I'm completely ineligible to now thinking I am, and even qualify for a higher benefit amount than I was told. I think I'll stop stressing until I see what happens Monday, or even tomorrow when I try to certify for this past week. Later......

Last edited by deerest; 02-13-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,144,599 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Yea, well, this is the same person that told me file an appeal, too, so who knows. I thought anyone potentially eligible for the new extensions were supposed to have rec'd a letter last month and when I did NOT, I felt like something was amiss, so I did ask if I would get a new eligibilty letter in the mail and she replied I would not.....that the letter I got regarding the EB (last August)WAS the only letter...that I'm just using the remainder, yet she said it was no longer EB, but now called EUC3 ( and I took notes and copied her verbatem), hence my question earlier regarding whether EB had been renamed. She said I used Regular UE, then EUC 1 & 2, then started to receive EB, but my benefit year ended with a remaining balance of $2579, which is now called EUC3, and I will use this and then when that is gone, I would qualify for EUC 4, assuming I have not found employment by then. So, all I know to do is wait until Monday and view my claim or payment history---I think one of those pages lists the benefit amount (?) and see what it says. I don't know what this transaction is that she did, but sounds like she entered the benefit amount of $2579 herself? Not sure b/c I don't know how you guys do those. I know this lady always consults with a supervisor who seems to be overwhelmingly busy, so I suppose it is entirely possible that they made a mistake, as with the appeal, which she even admitted was her mistake. Anyway---thanks again. If YOU don't totally get it either, I don't feel quite so bad. I've gone from thinking I'm completely ineligible to now thinking I am, and even qualify for a higher benefit amount than I was told. I think I'll stop stressing until I see what happens Monday, or even tomorrow when I try to certify for this past week. Later......
I'll be honest with you, I'm not going to say I'm 100% right. There could be some sort of stipulation that I'm not aware of (it happens, ya know?) with EB. It was my understanding that Tier 3 was 50% of the regular UI duration. Now...I can't remember whether you did get regular UI in your new benefit year or not, OR, if you just started with unused extension money that was brought forward (and I don't feel like paging back to find out). Perhaps whether or not you've received regular UI has something to do with whether an EB amount gets rolled forward and called Tier 3. But I've not heard of that...but we learn new things every day.

For the vast majority of the info I post here I'm 100% certain. There is sometimes 5% or so of information I'm not sure about. As much as I was sure about this earlier, perhaps there is something about new benefit year and EB and Tier 3 that I just haven't previously seen or heard of...but I didn't think so. I am virtually certain that if you qualify for Tier 3 your EB stops and you collect 50% of your original claim duration of Tier 3. And then depending on whether or not you received UI in your new benefit year you'd be eligible to resume EB.

As much as I tried to help I probably really didn't, with all the confusion I've injected here. But not everyone fits the exact same scenerio (there are a handful of scenarios) and therefore not everyone receives the same amount of benefits. Some people don't qualify for extensions at all due to not meeting the monetary requirements. Some people have been on UI for a solid two years...just the way they hit it with their base period when they filed.

UI is all based on work and earnings. Neither I nor my manager nor our regional manager nor the Chairman of ESC can circumvent certain requirements if the work and earnings aren't there.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,401 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I'll be honest with you, I'm not going to say I'm 100% right. There could be some sort of stipulation that I'm not aware of (it happens, ya know?) with EB. It was my understanding that Tier 3 was 50% of the regular UI duration. Now...I can't remember whether you did get regular UI in your new benefit year or not, OR, if you just started with unused extension money that was brought forward (and I don't feel like paging back to find out). Perhaps whether or not you've received regular UI has something to do with whether an EB amount gets rolled forward and called Tier 3. But I've not heard of that...but we learn new things every day.

For the vast majority of the info I post here I'm 100% certain. There is sometimes 5% or so of information I'm not sure about. As much as I was sure about this earlier, perhaps there is something about new benefit year and EB and Tier 3 that I just haven't previously seen or heard of...but I didn't think so. I am virtually certain that if you qualify for Tier 3 your EB stops and you collect 50% of your original claim duration of Tier 3. And then depending on whether or not you received UI in your new benefit year you'd be eligible to resume EB.


As much as I tried to help I probably really didn't, with all the confusion I've injected here. But not everyone fits the exact same scenerio (there are a handful of scenarios) and therefore not everyone receives the same amount of benefits. Some people don't qualify for extensions at all due to not meeting the monetary requirements. Some people have been on UI for a solid two years...just the way they hit it with their base period when they filed.

UI is all based on work and earnings. Neither I nor my manager nor our regional manager nor the Chairman of ESC can circumvent certain requirements if the work and earnings aren't there.

Best of luck!
I appreciate all your help! I'm sure you have dealt with folks in my same situation and I am confident that you know your stuff. I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative, b/c that is not my intention! I have a feeling that it is very possible that the rep I have been speaking to is mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time. Plus, she seems very busy. I am well aware that these new "layers" are unprecedented for ESC workers and to us, the unemployed. And like she told me, they get new updates and bulletins every day & it gets very confusing to them, so I am patient & understanding. But yes---I did get reg UE benefits in my new benefit year, just no extensions. Going over my notes, it sure sounded like the EB I had been receiving when my first benefit year ended, somehow turned into EUC3, which did not yet exist when my first year ended. I just finished my weekly cert for last week, and again, I got the message that the claim was accepted but that I am monetarily ineligible. She told me I would get a message saying my benefits were exhausted, but that it should kick in & pay after midnight tonight & to check online Monday to see if it paid me, and if not, to call her back on Monday. I'm a little uneasy that the message is a little different than what she told me to expect, but I am anticipating being on the phone again tomorrow.

You have absolutely been helpful---I understand a little more about the new tiers and their duration. I guess the remaining confusion surrounds the issue with the leftover EB. What I hear you saying is that normally, someone in my situation would simply start with Tier 3 which is 50% of the original benefit amount(actually weeks not $$), then go to Tier 4. At that point, since I rec'd regular UE in the new benefit year, I would not get EB after Tier 4. What she told me was that I was eligible to get EUC3 in the amount of my leftover EB, then Tier 4.

All that said, I completed 2 interviews last week with a company (a total of 4 hours), got glowing reviews on a skills survey, and I am supposed to be notified by Monday whether I got the job. So...I am hopeful that I won't need any benefits at all. But, this is not the first time I've been confident that I would get a job, so I must prepare accordingly. Thanks, again, jdljr---I'll let you know how it shakes out. I guess you may learn something new from this, too! And it might just be that YOU ROCK!! (I think we all think that already!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,926 times
Reputation: 10
Default unemployment

My company merged and my division was downsized. I was terminated on 1/8/10 due to my position being eliminated, applied for unemployment on 1/10. My company had until 2/5 to reply to the ESC. It is in adjudication and I was told it could take up to 8 weeks. Is that from 1/10 or from 2/5? I haven't received the decision by mail yet but I should qualify as it was of no fault of my own - correct ? I did receive a severance but was told that they did not look at that anymore when making decisions. This is the first time I have filed for unemployment and am unsure of the whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,144,599 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackienietopski View Post
My company merged and my division was downsized. I was terminated on 1/8/10 due to my position being eliminated, applied for unemployment on 1/10. My company had until 2/5 to reply to the ESC. It is in adjudication and I was told it could take up to 8 weeks. Is that from 1/10 or from 2/5? I haven't received the decision by mail yet but I should qualify as it was of no fault of my own - correct ? I did receive a severance but was told that they did not look at that anymore when making decisions. This is the first time I have filed for unemployment and am unsure of the whole process.
Why is it in adjudication? Did you file your claim as a "termination" or as a "layoff"? Did your employer respond back with "termination" or "layoff"? If both of you said layoff, there is no adjudication needed. Someone must have said termination.

Adjudication right now is taking 2 weeks or so, +/-, from the date they receive it, which is sometime after 2/5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,144,599 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
I appreciate all your help! I'm sure you have dealt with folks in my same situation and I am confident that you know your stuff. I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative, b/c that is not my intention! I have a feeling that it is very possible that the rep I have been speaking to is mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time. Plus, she seems very busy. I am well aware that these new "layers" are unprecedented for ESC workers and to us, the unemployed. And like she told me, they get new updates and bulletins every day & it gets very confusing to them, so I am patient & understanding. But yes---I did get reg UE benefits in my new benefit year, just no extensions. Going over my notes, it sure sounded like the EB I had been receiving when my first benefit year ended, somehow turned into EUC3, which did not yet exist when my first year ended. I just finished my weekly cert for last week, and again, I got the message that the claim was accepted but that I am monetarily ineligible. She told me I would get a message saying my benefits were exhausted, but that it should kick in & pay after midnight tonight & to check online Monday to see if it paid me, and if not, to call her back on Monday. I'm a little uneasy that the message is a little different than what she told me to expect, but I am anticipating being on the phone again tomorrow.

You have absolutely been helpful---I understand a little more about the new tiers and their duration. I guess the remaining confusion surrounds the issue with the leftover EB. What I hear you saying is that normally, someone in my situation would simply start with Tier 3 which is 50% of the original benefit amount(actually weeks not $$), then go to Tier 4. At that point, since I rec'd regular UE in the new benefit year, I would not get EB after Tier 4. What she told me was that I was eligible to get EUC3 in the amount of my leftover EB, then Tier 4.

All that said, I completed 2 interviews last week with a company (a total of 4 hours), got glowing reviews on a skills survey, and I am supposed to be notified by Monday whether I got the job. So...I am hopeful that I won't need any benefits at all. But, this is not the first time I've been confident that I would get a job, so I must prepare accordingly. Thanks, again, jdljr---I'll let you know how it shakes out. I guess you may learn something new from this, too! And it might just be that YOU ROCK!! (I think we all think that already!)
I have not heard that before (bolded above). I was under the impression that anybody who gets Tier 3 gets 50% of what the original duration was. So it very well may be that what you're saying is correct and I just had not heard that. I'll have to ask at work.

And fyi, just for kicks, let's also say that you were still in Tier 2 when your old benefit year ran out. At the point that they pulled forward your old extension money into your new benefit year, you would have picked up where you left off with Tier 2, then went into Tier 3, etc. Not just started with Tier 3. But I know you were in EB, so that's why you started with Tier 3.

Yea, I'd be on the phone with them tomorrow and see what they say. Something they attempted may have errored, OR, they may need to "ZZ" any weeks in question that are not paying as they should.

I hope you receive good news this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
 
131 posts, read 209,401 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I have not heard that before (bolded above). I was under the impression that anybody who gets Tier 3 gets 50% of what the original duration was. So it very well may be that what you're saying is correct and I just had not heard that. I'll have to ask at work.

And fyi, just for kicks, let's also say that you were still in Tier 2 when your old benefit year ran out. At the point that they pulled forward your old extension money into your new benefit year, you would have picked up where you left off with Tier 2, then went into Tier 3, etc. Not just started with Tier 3. But I know you were in EB, so that's why you started with Tier 3.

Yea, I'd be on the phone with them tomorrow and see what they say. Something they attempted may have errored, OR, they may need to "ZZ" any weeks in question that are not paying as they should.

I hope you receive good news this week!
Thanks, jdljr! Ya know....without your input, I would not have understood any of the vernacular regarding the 4 Tiers, and would have no clue regarding the parameters therein, so you HAVE been a huge help.

I do have another question for you, though. I never received one of the letters that were to be sent out to those who may qualify for the extensions. In my first benefit year, each time I progressed to a new level of benefits, I rec'd a letter with a benefit amount. Does this still occur with the new extensions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,930 times
Reputation: 10
My benefit year started 3-29-09 and ends on 3-27-10.
I got 26 weeks ui. 4-11-09/10-3-09
Then I got a 20 week extension. 10-10-09 until 2-20-10 this will be the last week.
will I continue to another tier or what?

Last edited by jumperr; 02-15-2010 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: wrong date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Location: NC
776 posts, read 1,523,989 times
Reputation: 327
A little update on my RES issue...I sent an e-mail explaining my situation (and my experience with my orientation) to a management contact. And this morning, I got a call from a region manager. Very nice, very understanding...just wanted to find ways of improving the program and wanted a little better understanding on my experience.

As you said jdjlr, I am not obligated to take part in the program, as long as I attend the orientation and one-on-one assessment. But it is still recommended and participation is crucial for the success of the program, which I can understand. It's probably not going to be for everyone, like myself...but as you said, you'll probably get something useful out of it. I would risk losing one week of benefits by not attending the one-on-one, which is tomorrow. So, I'll be there tomorrow. He just said that they'll get me in and out of there, no problem, and I will be on my merry little way. Of course, in the meantime, I think they're going to "share" my e-mail with a couple of people at that office...so I think I'm in for a loooooong assessment with some dirty looks my direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
 
177 posts, read 269,819 times
Reputation: 37
JDJLR,

I've got a question for you. I am in my 2nd benefit year. On Feb. 28th I'll have $10 left on my regular UE. So I know I'll have a week where I only get $10. I do not qualify for any extensions on my new year. When my last year ran out in November I had recieved one week of EB. I believe should have tier 3 pulled forward. However, because of the $10 week this new claim will extend pass the magic Feb 28th deadline. Is this going to prevent the pull forward? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top