U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM

171 posts, read 251,658 times

Advertisements

[quote I am not voting for any of these a** clowns come November, and I'm sure the families and friends of all the people being jerked around by this political nonsense will swing the other way too.
[/quote]

you are definitely right about that. As a matter of fact if anyone decides to go against her in the primary I will volunteer for their campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM

264 posts, read 328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Berger is "trying" to look like the good guy and saying that he wants Perdue to communicate with them to come to a resolution. He's not saying "his way or the highway" and he's making it look like she won't budge to help the unemployed.

She needs to show some sort of effort on this. I'm not saying to give in 100% but show that she cares enough to attempt to resolve this issue instead of being unwilling to use diplomacy and reason.

Perception is everything, and right now, the GOP is using the media to their advantage to make it look like she doesn't care.
But by linking the EB bill to the unrelated state budget, that IS EXACTLY what Berger said: His Way or the Highway!

Can't you see the difference? The Republicans are using the the EB bill as leverage to get what they want. The Democrats added NOTHING to H676. They didn't try to advance any agenda beyond adjusting a 2-year look back to a 3-year look back.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM

169 posts, read 181,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
what makes anyone think that 29 jobs is worthy of such an announcement?
Aww c'mon now, I'm sure all 37000 of us can wait 1276 days (3 1/2 years) for her to find us jobs at 29/day.

Oh, Bev, I think it's time to roll that carpet up and head back to Virginia.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM

169 posts, read 287,058 times
Default I'm Sorry I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Thank you, Thaylin. I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to point this out.

Governor Perdue has said repeatedly she wants to sign an EB bill. That is not the problem. But she cannot allow the entire state budget to be held hostage. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?
I sympathize with neither "side" here. I could care less if Governor Purdue needs to climb to the top of the empire state building to get EB signed.

When we try to understand a particular point of view in this nonsensical "fight", we legitimize what the governor and the GOP are doing as being alright. We legitimize their agenda, which is politically self-serving.

I don't want to have to understand the state budget and the 100% federally funded EB bill being tied together. I don't acknowledge their relationship because it is was created through inherently dishonest interests.

Governor Purdue and her silence on this issue IS the problem. She is the spoke-person for the people, and she is not speaking. She is the "leader" doing a poor job being diplomatic and compromising. She is the person letting her ego overcome her conscience.

If she cared about 40k people suffering, she would make it her priority to hold conferences, media sessions, etc. regarding the direness of the situation. She is going to be forced to be the "hero", and to me, that makes the governor shameful.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

169 posts, read 181,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
I sympathize with neither "side" here. I could care less if Governor Purdue needs to climb to the top of the empire state building to get EB signed.

When we try to understand a particular point of view in this nonsensical "fight", we legitimize what the governor and the GOP are doing as being alright. We legitimize their agenda, which is politically self-serving.

I don't want to have to understand the state budget and the 100% federally funded EB bill being tied together. I don't acknowledge their relationship because it is was created through inherently dishonest interests.

Governor Purdue and her silence on this issue IS the problem. She is the spoke-person for the people, and she is not speaking. She is the "leader" doing a poor job being diplomatic and compromising. She is the person letting her ego overcome her conscience.

If she cared about 40k people suffering, she would make it her priority to hold conferences, media sessions, etc. regarding the direness of the situation. She is going to be forced to be the "hero", and to me, that makes the governor shameful.
+1

Neither side gets a pass from me. The only thing my ears will listen to from either side is "I'm working on this right NOW"

This is a CRISIS people! The sooner we start treating it as such the faster it will happen.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:31 PM

171 posts, read 251,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
But by linking the EB bill to the unrelated state budget, that IS EXACTLY what Berger said: His Way or the Highway!

Can't you see the difference? The Republicans are using the the EB bill as leverage to get what they want. The Democrats added NOTHING to H676. They didn't try to advance any agenda beyond adjusting a 2-year look back to a 3-year look back.
I don't think any Democrats have problems with the Democrats in the house , the problem most people have is with Purdue's silence. I think the VETO was the right thing to do, but come on it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that she could've done it WAY better. If I was her advisor I would've said,,"look you missed your opportunity to say something about this before,, So hold on to that bill. Get with the DEMS in the House, discuss H676, know that bill like you know your right hand and then annouce in a public press conference that you are going to veto the bill and here is a BILL that I support. As a matter of fact she could've initiated the push out of the committee. If she did all of that three weeks ago she would've probably still be untouched.

The way she's handling it fits her history!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM

230 posts, read 244,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post

So what you are saying is that you are fine with others getting screwed as long as you get help.. I am sorry but that is shameful... I hate politics, specifically a 2 party system, but I would hate to see my neighbor lose his job so I can get a few more weeks of unemployment....

Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM

45 posts, read 47,656 times
I was talking to a friend of mine in local politics. He was saying no way on EB getting approved. We could have all 37000 of us on the front lawn of the GA. It would not make a difference this is a matter of principle to the politicians. Great effort by all though thank you for all of your help.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM

HistoryProf2011, if you want to say Perdue's silence is a problem, then I can see your point of view. But it's ridiculous to expect her to relinquish negotiating power over the state budget.

That does not make her ego-driven.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
So what you are saying is that you are fine with others getting screwed as long as you get help.. I am sorry but that is shameful... I hate politics, specifically a 2 party system, but I would hate to see my neighbor lose his job so I can get a few more weeks of unemployment....
Thank you again, Thaylin, for stating again what I believe. I don't like the attitude of many that as long as we get what we need, it's okay if other people get screwed.

Objectivity would be very helpful in viewing every issue. What matters is not what benefits us personally, but what is fair and just and compassionate. And I doubt I need to spell this out, but Reauthorizing EB Benefits is fair and just and compassionate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or