U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM

157 posts, read 152,910 times

Advertisements

I made less than that and they told me nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM

I just signed this:

SignOn.org Beta

Why are my links not working? Anyone?

Last edited by whirledps; 05-17-2011 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: bad link

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM

156 posts, read 158,774 times
Maybe we should find a class action lawyer for a suit! Money already appropriated to a party, being withheld, causing financial and mental anguish...That might get the ball rolling huh?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 56,027,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledps View Post
I just signed this:

SignOn.org Beta

Why are my links not working? Anyone?
This site prevents new members posting links due to this site is prone to spam.
I thought you had to achieve 10 posts but maybe its 15 to 20 posts

edit -it worked in my quote though

Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 PM

that thought occurred to me a long time ago but I'm sure they have voted themselves immune to any and all lawsuits. Just like they vote themselves raises....

Old 05-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This site prevents new members posting links due to this site is prone to spam.
I thought you had to achieve 10 posts but maybe its 15 to 20 posts

Oh, OK. Thank you for the info. That does make sense.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM

134 posts, read 148,014 times
I apologize the clerk at the ESC did say 2 different days of the week, for job search. In person did not have to be interview but just that I went in person to apply. But on line application is accepted. I was just told that calling to see if they had openings is not acceptable in my case. I really don't know if it depends on what tier, I did not ask. Sorry, I will do that the next time I am called in to turn in search records.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

43 posts, read 48,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledps View Post
Yikes, I didn't hear that. In fact I turned in my class schedule and book list for summer a week or so ago and everything seems ok in that they have paid my tuition. Perhaps it is school defendant on if they have money or not?

WIA runs on the same fiscal year as the state. We had funding for MOST of the summer tuition and books, but not all. When and if that will change will all depend on their new budget amount come July 1 - barring a shutdown.

What we were told that our county did with the funds for summer was pooled everything they had available and divided it evenly among all the program participants who were enrolled for summer sessions. I think some counties may have more or less to work with in their budgets as well as more or less people, so the funding here at the end of the fiscal year varies from person to person and county to county, based on what was left in the WIA coffers.

As for the Pell Grant issue - some counties are letting people keep them in addition to WIA funding, some are not. It seems to be dependent on the case manager's preference, as we were told we would have to surrender our Pell one time by one person and another person told us that we could keep it and use it for needed funding. I enjoy the benefits of this program, but (having also worked for the state at one time) that's the state way of doing things for ya' - depends on who you talk to and what time of day it is.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM

43 posts, read 48,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
That is odd, in 2009, counting my pay(before I was laid off), severence and UI (which did not kick in until Augest) I made 85000 and UNCP was able to adjust so that I got some pell grant.

FYI to everyone - a lot of the time, you will be turned down for the Pell based on FAFSA information and situations like the one above. You have to talk to someone at the school, tell them your situation, and apply for some type of individual determination. The school usually can qualify you for a Pell grant after the initial round of $ has been handed out if you give them enough information and ask about them making that administrative decision. It also depends a lot, I think, on family size. Single folks may have a harder time proving hardship (no, I don't necessarily agree with this) than a person with spouse and/or kids. Try talking with your financial aid office prior to the fall semester and see if they can do something.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 PM

12 posts, read 12,005 times
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I am not new here, I spend most of the time reading others remarks and keeping up to date that way. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate the information and positive comments that you post to one another. In times such as these it is nice to know that people can be decent and supportive of others, even total strangers. It warms my heart to see all of you reaching out to one another in ways that only people in our current situation would understand. As long as that comradery persists I believe our fight will not be in vain.

To tell you all a little about me... I was not one of the original 37,000, I received my last payment two weeks ago, so I am one of the uncounted as it were. I was laid off in 2009 from a nationwide lawncare company where I worked in corporate accounts, by trade I am a Paralegal. I have not had any luck finding a job, the market is very soft in the small town in the NC foothills where I live. I continue to persevere and try not to dwell on the difficult weeks ahead, the decisions that will have to be made.

I will be calling upon my local and state officials everyday as I have been doing and I urge all of you to continue to do the same. We may be small in number, but we have a platform and a voice to be heard. The representatives that we have elected, chosen to work for us, can only turn a blind eye for so long. Good luck to each of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or