U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM

57 posts, read 61,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1girl View Post
I emailed all the republicans and I appealed to their intelligence and compassion and tried to keep my email civil and not combative. Do the Republicans realize how heartless they are all appearing or they just don't care. The unemployed man that spoke yesterday at the press conference made me cry, so I cannot understand how that would not move anyone to action on this. I cannot wait until July for a resolution.
NC republicans have a political dna mix that is colored with a sense of entitlement and self-righteousness overlain with unregulated greed and selfishness. I find it very puzzeling when I hear them say they are for extending eb but block every piece of legislation that would make it happen while at the same time cry for billions of dollars in tax breaks from the government. Freakin nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:13 AM

191 posts, read 194,834 times
Wow just wow, I must have hit a nerve with the self righteous right.

I suspect, Mr C, that your e-mail will do more to solidify the partisan divide than to resolve it. Given that the GOP caucus has never had any intent to play political games on this issue, seeing that you are basically parroting the Democratic talking points here, it will make more members angry and unwilling to listen to you than it will to help achieve your cause. You may suspect that are were political and partisan games taking place in the Republican caucus surrounding this issue, but the only thing I saw was a concerted effort to ensure that UI checks would continue for the unemployed despite an almost certain budget veto and government shutdown.

Nobody likes to be lied about, propagandized, or have their good motives twisted into evil by partisan political spin. I have no problem voting for the UI package by itself, even though I recognize that getting 4 weeks of UI checks only to stop once the government shuts down is just as frustrating as the current situation – and that, somehow, will be blamed on Republicans as well. Messages like yours below will cause people to believe that any opposition is driven by political ideology alone, and will either solidify the opposition to your cause or will be ignored outright.

I sleep very well at night, thank you, and I am one who knows unemployment and poverty first hand and up close. If you want to actually move the members to consider your position, then I suggest you take a different approach from casting aspersions, repeating baseless propaganda, and name-calling, because all you are serving to do now is to drive the members away from the very position you support.

Hope that helps –

Sincerely,

Representative Glen Bradley
North Carolina State House
District 49: Franklin, Nash, Halifax

Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM

169 posts, read 181,503 times
All:

I just discovered a new way to "communicate" with our representatives.

Using the spreadsheet from the houese and senate (North Carolina General Assembly - House) I filtered all the republicans then copied and pasted and fax numbers (some are duplicates) composed a quick letter in windows fax, plugged the modem into land line and hit send. I've been up since 4AM sending out resumes and calling reps and need a lunch break so I'm putting my computer to work while I take a break. I may try to mail merge my next one to personalize the message.

We have to remember that we are a special demographic of the 45000 affected. Consisting of tech savvy, well educated and acticulate. Let's use our old skills to our advantage.

Any other clever ideas?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 AM

26 posts, read 27,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post

I suspect, Mr C, that your e-mail will do more to solidify the partisan divide than to resolve it. Given that the GOP caucus has never had any intent to play political games on this issue, seeing that you are basically parroting the Democratic talking points here, it will make more members angry and unwilling to listen to you than it will to help achieve your cause. You may suspect that are were political and partisan games taking place in the Republican caucus surrounding this issue, but the only thing I saw was a concerted effort to ensure that UI checks would continue for the unemployed despite an almost certain budget veto and government shutdown.

Nobody likes to be lied about, propagandized, or have their good motives twisted into evil by partisan political spin. I have no problem voting for the UI package by itself, even though I recognize that getting 4 weeks of UI checks only to stop once the government shuts down is just as frustrating as the current situation and that, somehow, will be blamed on Republicans as well. Messages like yours below will cause people to believe that any opposition is driven by political ideology alone, and will either solidify the opposition to your cause or will be ignored outright.

I sleep very well at night, thank you, and I am one who knows unemployment and poverty first hand and up close. If you want to actually move the members to consider your position, then I suggest you take a different approach from casting aspersions, repeating baseless propaganda, and name-calling, because all you are serving to do now is to drive the members away from the very position you support.

Hope that helps

Sincerely,

Guys, there is no good in calling them names, etc. Though it's tough to do, you have to be logical and concise in your arguments. There is more harm than good to come from bashing and name-calling. Rep Bradley does have his head in the sand, but you gotta be the better man in this fight. Cooler heads will prevail.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM

57 posts, read 61,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post

Nobody likes to be lied about, propagandized, or have their good motives twisted into evil by partisan political spin. I have no problem voting for the UI package by itself, even though I recognize that getting 4 weeks of UI checks only to stop once the government shuts down is just as frustrating as the current situation and that, somehow, will be blamed on Republicans as well. Messages like yours below will cause people to believe that any opposition is driven by political ideology alone, and will either solidify the opposition to your cause or will be ignored outright.

Hope that helps

Sincerely,

Mr. Bradley is right. Wnen you label and put people on the defensive it only drives them away.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHeel View Post
Guys, there is no good in calling them names, etc. Though it's tough to do, you have to be logical and concise in your arguments. There is more harm than good to come from bashing and name-calling. Rep Bradley does have his head in the sand, but you gotta be the better man in this fight. Cooler heads will prevail.
There was no name calling. That's why I said wow.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:26 AM

264 posts, read 277,870 times
Add media fax numbers in while you at it. From the east to the west. Stokes county to Lenoir to all in between media. Ironically, some of the repubs represent counties that are in the worst shape. These people do not have the means to be heard. Email me at ewestbrock@live.com with your spreadsheet, I'll work up my own letter and add folks to it and hit the right buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
All:

I just discovered a new way to "communicate" with our representatives.

Using the spreadsheet from the houese and senate (North Carolina General Assembly - House) I filtered all the republicans then copied and pasted and fax numbers (some are duplicates) composed a quick letter in windows fax, plugged the modem into land line and hit send. I've been up since 4AM sending out resumes and calling reps and need a lunch break so I'm putting my computer to work while I take a break. I may try to mail merge my next one to personalize the message.

We have to remember that we are a special demographic of the 45000 affected. Consisting of tech savvy, well educated and acticulate. Let's use our old skills to our advantage.

Any other clever ideas?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Mr. Bradley is right. Wnen you label and put people on the defensive it only drives them away.
Like they put a label on the unemployed? The reason he went on the defensive is because he knows they contradict everything they supposedly stand for when it comes to morals.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Also, they can't be driven away anymore than now, if so they will fall off the edge of the earth. The time time to handle this with kid gloves has passed. I asked him questions and questioned their morals, this is what it has come down to. Watching people suffer and turn your head or do something about it.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM

264 posts, read 277,870 times
GO to the FB page and make sure you look into the CNN roundtable at 3pm today. Please participate!
Reinstate NC Extended Benefits for the Unemployed Now - Wall | Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or