U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM

118 posts, read 128,233 times

Advertisements

Thanks TCAR! I did call the esc and the ladie just flat out told that they had no clue what would happen and even said the requirements to still get eb may change all together???? man what a mess!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM

187 posts, read 234,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
New jobless claims drop for 2nd straight week - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

I really don't think the EB will be re-established anytime soon & when/if it is perhaps even the revised look-back criteria won't trigger it.

Like the rest of you, I'm in in a difficult position - my highly technical skills are eroding from lack of use, I'm 49 so around the age where it becomes an "issue", job search has been hampered by multiple pinched nerves affecting arm/hand usage which made it difficult to work at the computer for very long (not to mention explaining the problem to potential employers), medical bills & finally surgery tapped me out - now COBRA is gone so I don't know how I'll afford pain meds/insurance.

To top it off I had moved to Charlotte for my previous position, so no family for support & the friends I made were from work but when they were laid off they moved. I stayed here because it's one of the main centers for my industry so I thought easier to find a job, plus the doctors were familiar with my case & after awhile the cost to move became an issue.

I had a cat for company but she developed kidney disease which I couldn't afford to effectively treat & my little girl died at only 8 years old. I live in fear about lack of support because I have lower back problems as well - I've fallen & it took 15 hours of excruciating pain to inch myself 20 feet to the door, where luckily I had left a foam roller along with a box for goodwill so I was able to use those two items to push open the double deadbolts so help could reach me.

I believe that people have been misguided, perhaps even biased against the Republicans on this issue. The Republicans were/are doing what we voted them in to do, they will not budge on passing a responsible budget because that's what their campaign was about - no voter will care about the EB when elections come back around.

The darn governor could've resolved this by doing her job with either a workable budget or a good-faith effort to negotiate. Perdue had the GA's budget for a couple of months & ignored it. When EB was attached to force discussion she vetoed it & did not attempt to negotiate. Perdue should've been the focus of efforts for resolution but she can manipulate things so well & has turned it around. We had enough GA members on the fence to override the veto but I don't think there was nearly enough pressure on them, now the governor has them back on her side.
My friend, you have several valuable points and ideas, but as far as the EB benefits being reinstated, they will be reinstated as a matter of principle, and because the situation has gained a lot of public "heat" in the past few weeks. It's not a matter of "if" but rather "when." As far as the idea of the 3-year lookback not being effective because of decreasing unemployment rate, it would have to fall back to 5% for a 3 year lookback not to be effective. It would be a miracle and a blessing to have 5% unemployment, because that would mean our prospect of finding a job would be great as well. The EB issue will be resolved soon here, and at the same time, we are all hoping that eventually the economy will turn around and we can have "decent paying" work to support ourselves and families.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 PM

169 posts, read 181,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
New jobless claims drop for 2nd straight week - Business - Eye on the Economy - Stocks & economy - msnbc.com

I really don't think the EB will be re-established anytime soon & when/if it is perhaps even the revised look-back criteria won't trigger it.

Like the rest of you, I'm in in a difficult position - my highly technical skills are eroding from lack of use, I'm 49 so around the age where it becomes an "issue", job search has been hampered by multiple pinched nerves affecting arm/hand usage which made it difficult to work at the computer for very long (not to mention explaining the problem to potential employers), medical bills & finally surgery tapped me out - now COBRA is gone so I don't know how I'll afford pain meds/insurance.

To top it off I had moved to Charlotte for my previous position, so no family for support & the friends I made were from work but when they were laid off they moved. I stayed here because it's one of the main centers for my industry so I thought easier to find a job, plus the doctors were familiar with my case & after awhile the cost to move became an issue.

I had a cat for company but she developed kidney disease which I couldn't afford to effectively treat & my little girl died at only 8 years old. I live in fear about lack of support because I have lower back problems as well - I've fallen & it took 15 hours of excruciating pain to inch myself 20 feet to the door, where luckily I had left a foam roller along with a box for goodwill so I was able to use those two items to push open the double deadbolts so help could reach me.

I believe that people have been misguided, perhaps even biased against the Republicans on this issue. The Republicans were/are doing what we voted them in to do, they will not budge on passing a responsible budget because that's what their campaign was about - no voter will care about the EB when elections come back around.

The darn governor could've resolved this by doing her job with either a workable budget or a good-faith effort to negotiate. Perdue had the GA's budget for a couple of months & ignored it. When EB was attached to force discussion she vetoed it & did not attempt to negotiate. Perdue should've been the focus of efforts for resolution but she can manipulate things so well & has turned it around. We had enough GA members on the fence to override the veto but I don't think there was nearly enough pressure on them, now the governor has them back on her side.
If you look at the actual report. NC initial claims actually increased 1100+

Keep fighting everyone!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM

264 posts, read 328,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post
The thing is I have sent countless emails before and today is the day that I have gotten any feedback at all. Some have been the generic same ol. Any logical and sensible person can take negative criticism and handle it introspectively. They have to be called out, they are to blame partially if not entirely.
Justifiable anger can sometimes reach them because they can feel the human being behind the words. Was it a couple weeks ago when Holwager got a response from whassisname, LaRoque?? when her email made it clear that she was obviously pissed?

I think it's fine to show a little anger toward these legislators. Don't let it get out of control -- no namecalling or profanity -- but, gee whiz, a month with no income and we're not supposed to get just a little bit emotional?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM

157 posts, read 161,685 times
Here is the email response I got today.

XXXXX,

I'm not sure what the delay is regarding this legislation. I believe it is currently in the Senate. Hopefully a remedy is quickly in the offing. My sincerest apologies to you.

Kind regards,
Tim

[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER][/CENTER]
Sent: Thu 5/19/2011 1:50 PM
To: Rep. Tim Moffitt
Subject: RE: Unemployment Benefits Extension

Rep. Moffitt,

I am 12 days away from being unable to pay the rent. I have $255.00 in the bank. Rep. Moffitt and the GOP are keeping $1,840.00 from me so far. What am I supposed to do? Food, gas, electricity??

I really don’t want to hear the “we passed it but the Governor vetoed it” stuff. Anyone with half a brain knows the GOP attached an unnecessary “POISON PILL” to the EB bill.

Why doesn’t the GOP show the 45,000 families ( myself included) that they don’t want to see us suffer any longer? If the extended benefits are not passed before June 1st, will you call ARC Agency in Asheville and explain to them why I can’t pay my rent?

I am at the end of my rope. WE NEED HELP, NOT BLAME.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM

191 posts, read 194,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Justifiable anger can sometimes reach them because they can feel the human being behind the words. Was it a couple weeks ago when Holwager got a response from whassisname, LaRoque?? when her email made it clear that she was obviously pissed?

I think it's fine to show a little anger toward these legislators. Don't let it get out of control -- no namecalling or profanity -- but, gee whiz, a month with no income and we're not supposed to get just a little bit emotional?
Exactly, like I said there was no name calling. I just called them out on being so called conservative "Christians". The email I sent is on pg 716 of this forum. Where he got the name calling, I have no idea.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 PM

191 posts, read 194,310 times
This is my reply to Bradley

Mr. Bradley,
First, I'd like to thank you for your reply. Secondly, I did not resort to name calling. I would like to know why exactly did the look back bill have to be attached to the budget. If my message pushes members away, I guess when facts are laid out in plain view, sometimes they are hard to swallow. It is hard for people like me to pretty much beg for this. Times are tough right now and we are getting desperate. I would like for someone to stand up for the little guy for once.
Carl C.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM

187 posts, read 234,535 times
Quote:

Mr. Bradley,
First, I'd like to thank you for your reply. Secondly, I did not resort to name calling. I would like to know why exactly did the look back bill have to be attached to the budget. If my message pushes members away, I guess when facts are laid out in plain view, sometimes they are hard to swallow. It is hard for people like me to pretty much beg for this. Times are tough right now and we are getting desperate. I would like for someone to stand up for the little guy for once.
Carl C.
Excellent response here my friend. I also agree with abcde12 about being civil and not being personally offensive to anyone. Unfortunately, a lot of us have gone through a lot of tension these past weeks with this issue and this has caused desperation and hot temperament. Keep writing and keep it to the point. We are almost there! !

Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM

162 posts, read 187,167 times
For the tweeters on twitter here is the NC Gov Bev Perdue's communications director @cp4perdue and @ncgovoffice and @thomtillis and @SenatorBerger and @LauraLeslie Laura is the reporter that told Berger yesterday in his press conf. "That doesn't solve the problem" when he answered a question by placing the blame elswhere.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM

264 posts, read 328,266 times
Quote:

Mr. Bradley,
Carl C.
Simpleman73, you write good emails. And since Bradley made the effort to reply, it obviously hit its mark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or