U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM

169 posts, read 175,845 times

Advertisements

NCGA Preview: Week of May 23 | The Lincoln Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 AM

264 posts, read 320,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contemporarydeco View Post
Seen this on the Huffington Post today --- Good luck trying to get back money from the unemployed.......

North Carolina Unemployment System May Have Overpaid THOUSANDS

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A North Carolina agency says thousands of long-term unemployed people could owe the state money because the agency mistakenly overpaid them.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Tuesday that the Employment Security Commission made about $28 million in overpayments to jobless North Carolinians over the last two years.

The agency last week began sending letters to about 38,000 people who it says were either overpaid or underpaid through no fault of their own.

The agency estimates about 15 percent of recipients were underpaid and will be eligible for additional benefits.

Overpayments could be forgiven if people apply for a waiver, but the commission wasn't able to say how those requests would be evaluated.
This is old news. It's got nothing to do with today's EB issue. Except for the fact that Governor Perdue stepped in to the debate and told the ESC they could not demand repayment from the unemployed to fix the ESC's mistake.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 9,740 times
First Posted: 09-28-10 09:16 AM | Updated: 09-28-10 09:23 AM

Right I saw the article it is actually from Last Year 2010

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM

230 posts, read 237,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
This is old news. It's got nothing to do with today's EB issue. Except for the fact that Governor Perdue stepped in to the debate and told the ESC they could not demand repayment from the unemployed to fix the ESC's mistake.

Wow looking at the date of the article it is almost a year old................

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM

49 posts, read 54,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post

This is from 9-28-2010.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
heres the link to the facebook page

Reinstate NC Extended Benefits for the Unemployed Now | Facebook

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM

162 posts, read 182,179 times
Daniel: Senate won't cut school funds as much as House | morganton.com

Another hard-edged issue dividing the governor and the legislature is rewriting a state law so approximately 42,000 North Carolinians may receive up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits. Daniel said a provision to allow that extension is part of the Senate’s budget.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

244 posts, read 273,213 times
Extending unemployment benefits dividing Gov. Perdue and NC Legislature

Daniel: Senate won't cut school funds as much as House | morganton.com

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM

776 posts, read 1,492,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
Wow looking at the date of the article it is almost a year old................
Seeing that brought up again kinda raised my anxiety. But yes, it is old and there's pages and pages of that topic buried in this thread. It was likely a big reason why our NCESC rep stopped posting here. He knew, in advance, that this massive overpayment issue was on the horizon and told us that he will need to cut communication to this forum. It's a shame since he was SO helpful to us, but I think we all understood his perspective. We learned alot from him though and I encourage anyone to search this thread and read jdljr's posts because alot of what he said still applies today.

But yes, it was pretty nerve-wrenching...getting multiple letters from the NCESC saying you owe them thousands of dollars due to some mismanagement on the agency's part. And we were told by the Governor herself, that heads at the NCESC were going to roll. Of course, time ticks on by, people forget, and I don't think there was any significant changes made or any individuals reprimanded.

The NCESC hasn't exactly made it very easy for us. But, in their defense, their infrastructure is just not designed to support the amount of claimants that have flooded the system since 2007. I even think jdljr once said that it's a 1990's system and that it's incredibly difficult for the agency to upgrade in the middle of madness. But I think they've done some upgrades.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 AM

230 posts, read 237,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Seeing that brought up again kinda raised my anxiety. But yes, it is old and there's pages and pages of that topic buried in this thread. It was likely a big reason why our NCESC rep stopped posting here. He knew, in advance, that this massive overpayment issue was on the horizon and told us that he will need to cut communication to this forum. It's a shame since he was SO helpful to us, but I think we all understood his perspective. We learned alot from him though and I encourage anyone to search this thread and read jdljr's posts because alot of what he said still applies today.

But yes, it was pretty nerve-wrenching...getting multiple letters from the NCESC saying you owe them thousands of dollars due to some mismanagement on the agency's part. And we were told by the Governor herself, that heads at the NCESC were going to roll. Of course, time ticks on by, people forget, and I don't think there was any significant changes made or any individuals reprimanded.

The NCESC hasn't exactly made it very easy for us. But, in their defense, their infrastructure is just not designed to support the amount of claimants that have flooded the system since 2007. I even think jdljr once said that it's a 1990's system and that it's incredibly difficult for the agency to upgrade in the middle of madness. But I think they've done some upgrades.

The online system, while it has some capacity issues, works really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or