U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM
 
26 posts, read 27,056 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

LOA50, What other rumblings are you hearing out there? You seem to have the most "insider" info. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
 
122 posts, read 141,637 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHeel View Post
LOA50, What other rumblings are you hearing out there? You seem to have the most "insider" info. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Veto.......She will not sign this one either. Still have 35 days until the budget runs out. I think we need to get within 10 day to see something happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM
 
169 posts, read 175,941 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
contact list

these people below have the power to reinstate benefits today:


**also look up your local house and senate representatives here:
north carolina general assembly - ncga - representation (http://www.ncleg.net/gis/representation/representation.html - broken link)
(they are most likely to respond to you)

call & email!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM
 
191 posts, read 188,963 times
Reputation: 33
Anyone have any new news this morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
 
43 posts, read 49,732 times
Reputation: 14
I cannot believe Perdue is squabbling over a $.5 million dollar difference. Yes, 20,000 may lose their jobs in education, but what about the 50,000 and growing that have already lost jobs for the last 2+ years? This economy stinks for everyone. I do not understand how a school system can operate with the losses they are proposing, but why should one sector be exempt from what is happening all across the country - simply because Perdue has the NCAE in her back pocket? Or should that be the other way around? I have tried, after 5 years at home with my children, to re-enter the education work force and can't get back in with a crow-bar! So, I know whence I speak.

I don't want anyone to lose jobs, but has anyone looked at losses in other categories that are being cut with any of the budgets? I am sure there are other sectors that would be cut. No one is pointing those out in their arguments. Just the Holy Grail of education. Free public education in this country is a privelege. Not a right. The majority of the rest of the world has to actually personally PAY to be educated, even at the youngest ages. Her sticking point is not anything other than education. But compromise has to come from both sides - and EVERYONE may have to suffer because of it, not just one or two groups.

Trying to protect one group at the expense of others is not the way to go. The proposed compromise is not that far off from what was originally proposed by Bev. What's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM
 
191 posts, read 188,963 times
Reputation: 33
I wonder what the exact difference in money spent in the CR for three months and her budget proposal is, as far as education goes. It may be minimal, maybe they can negotiate this some? If she doesn't come back with some kind of "counter offer", I will consider her worthless. There is nothing wrong with trying to negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM
 
92 posts, read 82,339 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
I cannot believe Perdue is squabbling over a $.5 million dollar difference. Yes, 20,000 may lose their jobs in education, but what about the 50,000 and growing that have already lost jobs for the last 2+ years? This economy stinks for everyone. I do not understand how a school system can operate with the losses they are proposing, but why should one sector be exempt from what is happening all across the country - simply because Perdue has the NCAE in her back pocket? Or should that be the other way around? I have tried, after 5 years at home with my children, to re-enter the education work force and can't get back in with a crow-bar! So, I know whence I speak.

I don't want anyone to lose jobs, but has anyone looked at losses in other categories that are being cut with any of the budgets? I am sure there are other sectors that would be cut. No one is pointing those out in their arguments. Just the Holy Grail of education. Free public education in this country is a privelege. Not a right. The majority of the rest of the world has to actually personally PAY to be educated, even at the youngest ages. Her sticking point is not anything other than education. But compromise has to come from both sides - and EVERYONE may have to suffer because of it, not just one or two groups.

Trying to protect one group at the expense of others is not the way to go. The proposed compromise is not that far off from what was originally proposed by Bev. What's the big deal?
If the Gov puts basic math stratagy to work we are talking 500 million dollar dif. Now I know thats alot of money but the taxes we THE UNEMPLOYED pay on these benifits when spending the money in the state more so pays this difference so The Gov. should SIGN OFF! Correct me.. if I am Wrong if not its a Power struggle folks and we are in the middle.....19.3 billion dollars is alot to work with....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 AM
 
26 posts, read 27,056 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
Veto.......She will not sign this one either. Still have 35 days until the budget runs out. I think we need to get within 10 day to see something happen
If they get 72 votes in the house, it won't matter if she vetoes it. But that's easier said than done. 4 Dems have to cross the aisle. Let's hope they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
 
26 posts, read 27,056 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
I cannot believe Perdue is squabbling over a $.5 million dollar difference. Yes, 20,000 may lose their jobs in education, but what about the 50,000 and growing that have already lost jobs for the last 2+ years? This economy stinks for everyone. I do not understand how a school system can operate with the losses they are proposing, but why should one sector be exempt from what is happening all across the country - simply because Perdue has the NCAE in her back pocket? Or should that be the other way around? I have tried, after 5 years at home with my children, to re-enter the education work force and can't get back in with a crow-bar! So, I know whence I speak.

I don't want anyone to lose jobs, but has anyone looked at losses in other categories that are being cut with any of the budgets? I am sure there are other sectors that would be cut. No one is pointing those out in their arguments. Just the Holy Grail of education. Free public education in this country is a privelege. Not a right. The majority of the rest of the world has to actually personally PAY to be educated, even at the youngest ages. Her sticking point is not anything other than education. But compromise has to come from both sides - and EVERYONE may have to suffer because of it, not just one or two groups.

Trying to protect one group at the expense of others is not the way to go. The proposed compromise is not that far off from what was originally proposed by Bev. What's the big deal?
Couldn't have said it better. Perdue will be the loser IF she vetoes this again. H439 is a ncie compromise. She just doesn't want to give in to the GOP. Period. Stubborn as a mule, she is. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
 
10 posts, read 10,146 times
Reputation: 15
Bev wants to be known as the Governor that defended education, the Republicans want to be known as the Legislature that lowered taxes.

They are both fixing to be known as the NC Government that turned 50,000 unemployed into 50,000 homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top