U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

191 posts, read 186,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
I recieved 4 weeks for a total of 11 weeks of EB
so shouldn't you be getting 9 more weeks? Is there a reason why you wouldn't get 20 total weeks of EB? Unless you were over paid in your first 26 weeks? EB is 80% of your initial 26 weeks. If you were over paid that could explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM

59 posts, read 63,155 times
It is my understanding that EB is relative to your initial claim, based on how many weeks of UI were eligible for and the length of time you were in each EUC tier, not all will receive 20 weeks of EB. I think this is how it works? Anybody?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM

244 posts, read 270,476 times
You are potentially eligible for EB (up to twenty weeks of federal benefits) if you have exhausted Regular UI Benefits & EUC08 Benefits (Tiers), your benefit year ends after October 5, 2008, and you have no prior disqualifications.

Claimants who filed an initial claim (Regular UI Benefits) effective on or after May 7, 2006 are potentially eligible for EUC08 (Tiers).

Tier 1 has a 20-week maximum; Tier 2, 14 weeks; Tier 3, 13 weeks; and Tier 4, 6 weeks.

The week ending Saturday, July 12, 2008 is the first week for which EUC08 benefits can be paid.

The week ending Saturday, June 9, 2012 is the last week for which EUC08 benefits can be paid.

You must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending December 24, 2011 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective December 25, 2011. You must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending December 31, 2011 to qualify for the next higher tier.

The basic EB eligibility requirements are different from those for Regular or EUC08 benefits.

Last edited by laidoffafter50; 06-06-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 AM

244 posts, read 270,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl64 View Post
I guess us interstate claimants get screwed? I live in SC (right across the border) and worked in uptown Charlotte forever. So if I am reading this right, SC is not extending the EB. Something like 2 weeks....

Anyone understand what this means for us SC folks?????
Interstate claimants are eligible for EB if the State in which you reside and North Carolina are in an EB period. SC is in rollback, making you eligible for any remaining EB in your account. SC would have to trigger off again before you would lose any benefits from NC and you would receive only a maximum of two weeks unless SC enacted another program. Hope this helps. It would be the same for all interstate claims.

Last edited by laidoffafter50; 06-06-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,221 times
Sorry I realize this was the first question in the thread, but that was 3 years ago, and I just wanted to confirm that if I have exhausted my regular UI, that I don't need to fill out any new form to get EUC. That this will happen automatically... or simply not happen if I am ineligible.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 AM

59 posts, read 63,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quora37 View Post
Sorry I realize this was the first question in the thread, but that was 3 years ago, and I just wanted to confirm that if I have exhausted my regular UI, that I don't need to fill out any new form to get EUC. That this will happen automatically... or simply not happen if I am ineligible.
Yes that is correct, check your claim profile to see if you are eligible, the bottom of the page it will show as EUC.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 12,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post
so shouldn't you be getting 9 more weeks? Is there a reason why you wouldn't get 20 total weeks of EB? Unless you were over paid in your first 26 weeks? EB is 80% of your initial 26 weeks. If you were over paid that could explain it.
I was overpaid however they took it ALL back last year.I have been collecting for 56 weeks total,I worked for the same company for 6 years.I know that 56 weeks is a long time though.I don't know how it all works.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 12,453 times
Have any of you been overpaid and had to pay it back?Did you get the money back?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM

108 posts, read 141,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _mtr View Post
Hi all, long-time reader, first-time poster. I have a few questions about my claim that someone here may be to answer. (I've had no luck getting through to anyone at the ESC, it's expectedly busy today.)

First, I should say that I've found the unemployment benefit process a bit complicated -- mostly because of my own negligence to do much research, I suppose. I've done some reading over the weekend, and I think I've got my particular situation figured out, but I want to make absolutely sure.

Here are the facts:

- My initial claim was filed last June, my benefit year ends this week
- My EUC claim was effective on 10/17/10
- I believe this puts me right at the end of tier two

But here's where I get really confused. For the past five or six weeks, every time I've filed my weekly certification online I've been met with a message saying that I have two or fewer weeks remaining on my benefit year. Whatever, that's not right, must be a website issue, I've ignored it. Beginning last week (maybe earlier, I'm not sure), my claim status was listed on the ESC site as "benefits exhausted." That was a bit worrisome. Both messages were there yesterday when I filed, today though my claim is listed as active.

Also, my payment was 50% of the regular amount last week, though I've seen that before at the end of a tier. However, my payment this week was roughly 2/3 what I usually see.

So, the answers I'm looking for:

1. I'm at the end of tier 2, right? Despite my benefit year ending, I should roll into tier 3 without a problem?
2. Any reason why my payment was short two weeks in a row?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've found this thread particularly helpful over the past year, so keep up the good work.
You need to file for a 2nd benefit year. This is not automatic. I think you can do it online but if I were you I would go into the ESC and file for your 2nd benefit year. It is an easy process. Just fill out a one page form and they punch in the info and you should be set. Depending on your situation when your 2nd benefit year starts you will either qualify for a new benefit year or you will get an extension (or a pull forward). If you haven't worked at all during your 1st benefit year you will get an extension and should keep rolling right from where you left off in your 1st benefit year. So if you are at the end of tier 2 then you would roll right into tier 3, then tier 4, then EB (if you qualify which I am sure you would). There should not be a waiting week. But if I were you after you go into the ESC to file for your 2nd benefit year I would call a few days later to make sure everything was taken care of. You should not miss any payments. If you HAVE worked and earned money during your 1st benefit year then you will probably qualify for a new benefit year and will run through the tiers just as you did during your 1st year, then receive EB (if you qualify) at the end. Only the tiers will not be as long. In this case there WOULD be a waiting week, so you would recieve no money one week. Both scenarios are about the same...an extension or a new 2nd benefit year.

I am not sure why you received less money the last few weeks. Probably something to do with how much money was left in your account for tier 2 so you received partial payments.

I have received the "You have two or fewer weeks left" message for the last several months too. I am in tier 3. It is just a computer glitch on their end apparently.

It all gets pretty confusing. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloud057 View Post
Yes that is correct, check your claim profile to see if you are eligible, the bottom of the page it will show as EUC.
Cool thanks a lot. Hmm unfortunately I do not see anything that says about EUC one way or the other.... I hope this doesn't mean that I'm ineligible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or