U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM

21,508 posts, read 43,771,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1a View Post
Charlotte ESC office , Do I have to do anything or it will just happen?
Just keep claiming as usual. Your claims will trigger the transition to Tier II.

Btw, you are not collecting EB (Extended Benefits). You are collecting Emergency Compensation Unemployment (EUC) benefits. Available benefits are:

26 weeks state benefits
20 weeks EUC Tier I - (14 weeks after 9/1)
14 weeks EUC Tier II - (14 weeks after 9/1)
13 weeks EUC Tier III - (9 weeks after 9/1)
06 weeks EUC Tier IV - (10 weeks after 9/1)
20 weeks EB - (NC triggering off about 5/12)

You will be able to collect the EUC benefits until exhausted - another 37 weeks once you begin Tier II.

You will never collect EB - Extended Benefits. NC will no longer be paying EB after May 12, possibly as early as April. Forget about EB - it does not concern you.

You will still be able to collect another 37 EUC weeks (Tiers II, III, IV) after April 1.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-19-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM

41 posts, read 52,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Just keep claiming as usual. Your claims will trigger the transition to Tier II.

Btw, you are not collecting EB (Extended Benefits). You are collecting Emergency Compensation Unemployment (EUC) benefits. Available benefits are:

26 weeks state benefits
20 weeks EUC Tier I
14 weeks EUC Tier II
13 weeks EUC Tier III
06 weeks EUC Tier IV (10 weeks after 9/1)
20 weeks EB (NC triggering off about 5/12)

Please reread my other post. You will be able to collect the EUC benefits until exhausted - another 37 weeks once you begin Tier II.

You will never collect EB - Extended Benefits. NC will no longer be paying EB after May 12, possibly as early as April. Forget about EB - it does not concern you.

You will still be able to collect another 37 EUC weeks (Tiers II, III, IV) after April 1.
Got it - Thank you!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,020 times
Thank you for the above info. Any assistance concerning my situation is greatly appreciated. I have been laid off from the local government sector since July 2010. This after 12 years at the same position. I still have not been able to find work. I have been receiving benefits since. I am now receiving Extended Benefits, to my surprise.

I have a first Eligibility Review on Tuesday. I only began using the Excel sheets when the Extended Benefits kicked in, as I was told it was now a neccessity. Every other work search record before January 22nd is hand-written in 2 notebooks.

How much should I bring with me? The letter I received seems to indicate just the work search records since starting to receive EB. It is not specific, however.

Also, all of my contacts have been online through various job-search websites, and very few have full addresses listed. Just Charlotte or surrounding area city. I had been told on the phone early on that this was fine, now I am very concerned it might not be. Grateful for any info. Can't sleep. Thank you for your time.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM

If you've kept extensive records, bring them. It will be clear to the examiner that you have, in fact, performed work searches. This is just a random audit. The exact address/phone number shouldn't be necessity, especially if your applications were online or in response to a blind ad or through an agency soliciting applications.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure your records will be fine. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,020 times
Thanks very much for your kind and informative answer. I am as ready as I can be and do feel better. Much appreciated

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM

55 posts, read 91,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Tier IV extra 10 weeks begin in March and continue through May for those transitioning to Tier IV in states which have 1) triggered off EB and 2) which have a UE rate of at least 8.5%. For those transitioning in June, Tier IV reverts to 6 weeks for states with at least 9% UE. For those transitioning in September, Tier IV is increased from 6 weeks to 10 weeks for states with at least 9% UE.

For NC, this is your answer for May:
I spoke with a rep again today at the south charlotte office and you may be correct but the bad news is they do not have the info that you have. I was told that under no circumstances will EB be continuing in NC after Feb. The lady that I spoke with said she has gotten several calls about mis information and that the DES website would be updated probably by the end of the week. When the revamped law takes effect it will be picking up those that are in the tiers now I was told and for those states that are currently in EB come march. She insisted NC will not be in EB status then. So those of us that are ending prior to the fix are going to have to play a waiting game it seems and hope for the best.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

NC takes its lead from BLS. New legislation was passed and did not change lookback calculation in any way. It remains at three years, which means states continue to trigger off per NELP chart, give or take a month.

Continue to expect to get wrong info from most UE reps because they do NOT understand much of the UE program, sadly.

This from the BLS on 1/30 before legislation was passed.
Quote:
Absent Federal enactments to extend 100% Federal sharing for EB and the Federal authorization for a three year look-back, the following states will trigger off with the week ending February 18, 2012 and conclude their payable period on March 10, 2012: KS, NC, and NJ.
Legislation was extended on Friday. Thus EB is extended until NC lookback triggers it off. Which is projected to be April/May.

If you haven't seen it yet: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23067770-post5.html

I wish had a dollar for every time a UE rep was wrong. I could take a nice trip. They have no understanding of the lookback. When BLS announced PA entered a new HUP period, PA reps continue to tell claimants for three weeks after the BLS announcement that PA would never again be paying HUP. The week PA entered the HUP period they were still denying it. Three weeks after PA began HUP period, PA finally began mailing info to its claimants.

Don't believe the reps - especially on something this complicated.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-21-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

My friend I believe ya. I also wish you were working for our state unemployment office. The rather sad fact remains that if the ones that oversee the programs are themselves not as knowledgeable as they could be, there could be problems. How many people get told incorrect info and stop filing or whatever? At this point I have gotten so many different answers from different DES staffers that I worry that unless the president himself delivers the news to Raleigh, they are going to continue to be like the office in PA that you cited. I just wish when we call and try and give them this info (trust me I have tried) that they would stop treating us like we are no nothings and at least listen to what we are saying rather than just wave a hand and keep giving the same stock answers. Frustrating and possibly more worrisome than need be. Thanks again for your concise answers.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM

I think the people at the top know what's what. They don't transmit any information downline until very, very late. Thus, callers get wrong information - and you are right, often stop claiming. We've had a number of people on the UE Forum who've stopped claiming at their bye, thinking they were done. Talked to the wrong rep and just gave up. The UE offices hope people don't pursue their benefits. Claimant-friendly - for the most part they are not.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM

The even more difficult to explain thing is why they are like that. I mean when they help get information out there thru benefits or job placement, it is Job Security for them. The more people that drop off the UE roles earlier than they should, or give up out of frustration and do not use the resources that the employment office has to offer, the fewer DES staffers are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or