Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 PM

55 posts, read 100,334 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to get a phone number to the DES central office in Raleigh and not just the local office? Perhaps if they can be reached rather than a field office we could get better information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,279,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull1 View Post
This is a response I just got from the US Dept of Labor

The February data will not be released until March 30, meaning that the payable period would not end until late April. So the real confusion is probably stemming from people not being clear about whether they are referring to the month of unemployment data or the projected end of the payable period.
Quote:
latest from US Dept of Labor
North Carolina is currently on EB. The next data to be released that could trigger North Carolina off EB is March 13, 2012 and then March 30. We do not see a situation that would result in NC being off EB with respect to the week ending 3/3/12.
Well, this is exactly right, especially this:
Quote:
The February data will not be released until March 30, meaning that the payable period would not end until late April.
Per BLS today:
Quote:
Based on legislation passed by congress and sent to the President for signature, states that have linked the expiration of their EB TUR trigger and their three year look-back legislation to the termination of 100% Federal sharing for EB will continue to be in an EB period.
So, in spite of NC reps protestations to the contrary, NC will be paying EB past 3/3, probably into April/May.

BLS info trumps the state - always.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Last edited by hmrm97; 02-23-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,478 times
Default Hope

Thanks for your answer. I am going to leave enough hope to believe that the answer of the last week to file for an EB payment is the week ending March 3.
The guy who talked with me at ESC was extremely sympathetic and seemed very knowledgeable. He also said that I was the second person to call today because another rep had given out the wrong earlier date.
On the side of more hope I will leave the answer given above regarding the date being extended to May, and that the ESC just have not updated their reps on this yet. Lastly, the rep today said "a little light" at the end of the tunnel could be that the Governor could step in and extend the date.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM

hmrm97 - BLS - Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Check that page out tomorrow or next week. There should be further updates on EUC/EB status. It is a very good resource. I've saved every update in a Word file as a doublecheck.

Those emails from the DOL to hopefull1 are really great. The problem with the reps downline is they really don't know how the information flows.

NC transmits to BLS. BLS programs its database as to whether or not NC statutes track the federal. If BLS had said that NC statutes, once again, did not track federal, then BLS would say NC didn't correct lookback to track federal and would be triggering off. But, per email to hopeful1, DOL didn't say that. I read somewhere when Gov. Perdue signed that order in January, going forward NC would track federal legislation for as long as EB was federally authorized.

Now, I suppose it is possible BLS could have an error in their database on NC and Gov. Perdue does, in fact, need to issue another Executive Order. Which would be ridiculous, because every other state out of compliance early in the year saw to it that legislation enacted to correct the lookback would track federal legislation going forward to the end of the year so they wouldn't be in this bind again.

This lack of information/misinformation is common in every state. On the other board, when I responded "kinda rudely" to a poster, my point was every state had this problem and referred her again to PA info I had posted here. I actually wrote the PA DOL webmaster asking them why their site didn't reflect PA was in a HUP period. They fixed their website the next day. This is how badly some of these states run their UE programs.

Which is why I say, talking to a rep this early in the process is pointless. They just don't have the information. You can talk to them and present information/data until the cows come home, but if they don't get the feed from their superiors, they will spout what they "know" at the moment. It is an exercise in frustration.

In fairness, none of the states have ever had to deal with so many unemployed for such a long period with a program with so many layers, and now new complications. It is a strain on their manpower and their computer people. Not to mention the unemployed.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 22,140 times
Feel free to direct your questions to: Reports@uis.doleta.gov. They responded to me within one minute earlier today.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM

Again I greatly appreciate your help and the information provided.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM

18 posts, read 22,140 times
I would put my money on Ariadne22

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Feel free to direct your questions to: Reports@uis.doleta.gov. They responded to me within one minute earlier today.
Great info. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Just tried to send them an email thru yahoo and it said that was an invalid email address. ??

Last edited by hmrm97; 02-23-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina