Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe53 View Post
My Tier 3 completes on Saturday 4/28/12 & I expect Tier 4 to begin on Sunday 4/29/12. If EB ends as projected on Saturday 5/12/12 and I were to error on the side of caution, and delay exhausting Tier III until Sunday 5/13/12, would I be able to receive 16 weeks of Tier 4 instead of 6 weeks?
No. As I posted yesterday, you cannot exhaust Tier III any earlier than the week ending May 19th (i.e, claim Tier III on May 20th).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For those exhausting Tier III on or about 5/12 and wanting to acquire eligibility for 16 weeks Tier IV, try to structure your claims so you exhaust Tier III on 5/19, not 5/12. In other words, don't claim for a week if you are on the cusp.

So, best to err on the side of caution, and delay exhausting Tier III until week ending May 19.
Quote:
Substantiation to the foregoing, State of Oregon which ended EB 4/7, is allowing augmented Tier IV to claimants who exhaust Tier III on 4/14, one week later. If they exhausted Tier III on 4/7, they receive 6 weeks Tier IV, not 16.

Quote:
Is it possible that EB will end sooner then projected on 5/12/12?
No. By now BLS would have announced any state ending EB as of 4/21.
Quote:
Do you think that North Carolina will allow augmented Tier IV to claimants who exhaust Tier III on 4/28/12 or later so they can receive 16 weeks of Tier 4 instead of 6 weeks?
Absolutely NOT. NC has nothing to do with it. It is federal money, administered by the federal regs. You must have exhausted Tier III at least oneweek after your state triggers off EB. If NC erroneously pays you, it will later ask for the money back. The new EUC directive is very clear about that, too.
Quote:
“In states whose EB periods (as determined under EUCA) will end before June 1, 2012, beginning the first week after the EB period ends, all individuals with new EUC08 Fourth Tier entitlement could qualify for the increased maximum benefit amounts. “
If you exhaust Tier III with week ending 5/12, you are perceived to have received "new EUC08 Fourth Tier entitlement" that day, 5/12, which means you are only eligible for Tier IV at 6 weeks. Therefore, you cannot exhaust Tier III until the end of the week following your state triggering off EB in order to receive Tier IV for 16 weeks.

Best to face the facts as they exist and work with them.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: user request edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknc View Post
I called this morning about getting into EB. The lady stated that I would need to call back tomorrow to find out if I qualified. Does anyone know what the criteria are for who qualifies? I know it probably won't extend much longer, but am curious.
Same criteria as those who've been collecting EUC tiers. Only thing that would prevent your accessing EB would be a misconduct penalty at the start of your claim. If not, NC will transfer you to EB for as long as they are paying, or 20 weeks, whichever comes first.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM

8 posts, read 20,865 times
Ok..another question and this is about "benefit year". Mine runs from 7/2011 - 7/2012. I have not worked since I was laid off in July 2011 but had worked 10.5 yrs at same job. I am on "tier 1" currently (began end of Jan). What am I supposed to do at the end of "benefit year"..which will be July?. I have never in my life had unemployment and it can be a little confusing...so this site has been a GREAT HELP

Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM

55 posts, read 100,607 times
Give your local office a call and they will set up a second year for you and you won't miss anything. It will run until your tiers are completed.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Correction to a previous post - and my apologies:

This should read:
Quote:
You must have exhausted Tier III at least one week after your state triggers off EB.
in order to be eligible for augmented Tier IV.

Intermittent brain fog/dyslexia these days with all the permutations of this new legislation.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 12,037 times
Angry Benefits Exhausted

I was ending my forth tier and was going to get EB today, but when I logged into the NC Unemployment website to file my weekly certification, I got "Benefits Exhausted".

Does anyone know it that is it or is there going to be something done at the State level to get EB benefits to at least go to May 12, 2012?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,037 times
Default Went to the NC Unemployment office

Okay, I went to the local NC Unemployment office and they
gave me additional weeks on the Extended Benefits program but
said it can be taken away at anytime based on the State Unemployment
rate and Federal guidelines for the EB's.

I'm guessing that will be the week of May 15, as I believe I saw that on
a chart online somewhere.....Does anyone else have any idea as to when
it might be discontinued?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomco View Post
Okay, I went to the local NC Unemployment office and they
gave me additional weeks on the Extended Benefits program but
said it can be taken away at anytime based on the State Unemployment
rate and Federal guidelines for the EB's.

I'm guessing that will be the week of May 15, as I believe I saw that on
a chart online somewhere.....Does anyone else have any idea as to when
it might be discontinued?
Read the past two pages on this thread. You'll get the picture. May 12 is the projected date.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
Default Disqualification Question

Last year about this time, I missed an appointment at the unemployment office and lost my benefits and was then requested to pay back the last 3 weeks of benefits I had received. I payed some of it back and the rest was waived.

Now, I am unemployed again, laid off. I work in construction and so jobs come and go. My most recent job lasted from about the time I stopped receiving my benefits last year until mid January.

I filed my claim online and everything went fine. I never received any mailings stating there was an issue and my claim profile online says "No" under "Active Issues". However, the last two weeks(I just recently filed, had been living off of savings) when I have tried to file my weekly certification it says that I am disqualified due to a prior issue. I contacted the ESC who told me it was because of the meeting I missed last year, I asked them how a meeting from a year ago on a different claim could effect this one. I was just told to contact my local office and that when you miss such a meeting you are "indefinitely" disqualified until the situation is rectified.

I contact my local office who tells me in a rather matter of fact, smart ass way that the issue was resolved effective 3/31/2012. I explained that I have not been able to successfully complete a weekly certification and as such, have not received nor will receive any benefits. The person there just kinda shunned it off still saying it is not an issue. Obviously, it is an issue for me. I have a lead on a job that is very promising but that is about a month away so I really need these benefits as my savings have all but run dry.

Is it possible that he is right and it is no longer an issue but is just taking time to make it through the channels of bureaucracy?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,451 times
When I go in for my 1st 4-week review for EB at ESC, are they going to want to see all my work search records, or just for the 4 weeks I will have been on EB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina