Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

177 posts, read 304,502 times

Advertisements

OOps!! My benefits will run out 2/21/10. Thanks and sorry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
JDLJR If I understand correctly, Tier 4 MUST be implemented by Feb 28th. Is this correct?
No, I don't think that's correct. The Feb 28th date is the date by which claimants must either start Tier 1 EUC to receive it, OR, must exhaust the extension they're in to be eligible for the next higher Tier. I would think those that have exhausted their Tier 3 would be eligible for Tier 4 even if the programming was completed after that.

I do think it will be before that. Haven't heard anything further, but I know they want it to be in place sooner rather than later.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp80 View Post
Is the "pull forward" system designed to fix both of my issues below?

1. I received a Wage Transcript and Monetary Determination letter granting me a new benefit year beginning 1-24-2010 with 13 weeks of UI. Previously, on 12-28-2009, I received a Monetary Determination letter granting me 13 weeks of Tier 2.

Does this mean I have lost the remainder of my Tier 2 ?

2. I was laid off on 1-5-2009. Q4 of 2008 contains 90% of my total base period wages.

Does this mean that I will not qualify for any extensions this year because my Total Wages will be less than High Quarter x 1.5 ?

Jdljr, thank you for all the info that you provide. Your posts have been a great help to me.
Yes, it sounds like you won't be eligible for an extension in your new benefit year because you won't meet the 1.5X rule. However, the "pull forward" should hopefully pull forward your remaining EUC from your old benefit year for you to draw when you exhaust your regular UI.

I will say, though, that with the Feb 28th phase-out date looming, I'm not sure what will happen after that date. What someone may qualify for now, they may not qualify for at that date. There's definitely uncertainty with that date approaching.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
hi Jdljr,
I've read so many posts on here, I should know the answer by now(sorry)

What is the current benefit year they're using to set up a new year for EB?
My benefit year is up 02-06-09. I haven't worked since 02-09. I was employed at the same CO. since Oct '06. Will they only use the end of '08 quaters and into '09 or will they go back further into '08 to set a new year? I do have 8 weeks left on my tier2 if all else fails,
thanks for your time and response
KC-Carolina
Right now, if you're filing a new benefit year the base period is 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. That's as far back as they go. If you can't set a new, regular UI claim using those quarters, then they'll bring forward your unused extension money for you to draw out in the new benefit year and you will not have to serve a new waiting week if you're just drawing unused extension money in your new benefit year.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I'm still waiting for my first payment for my new benefit year...it's been over two weeks...ugh.

Also, anyone else get a Reemployment Services Program letter? Is this something new? I've been given a date to attend a special orientation and I'll be meeting with a counselor at the NCESC to help me customize my job search and make me more competitive in the job market. I guess it can't hurt...
If you were previously getting direct deposit and started a new benefit year with a new, regular UI claim, chances are good that the direct deposit did not transfer from one benefit year to the next. If you were previously getting a check each week in your old benefit year, you won't get that in the new benefit year. The default method of payment is now a debit card, so you may be waiting for the debit card to arrive in the mail. Each week they'll deposit money onto that debit card. I would suspect you're waiting for the debit card because the Reemployment Services (RES) letters are generated for people that have received at least a first payment...in your case, it was a first payment on your 2nd benefit year. Unless you had a debit card already, then they should put the payment onto your existing card. I also remember you had to serve a new waiting week because you (unexpectedly) qualified for a new, regular UI claim. Also, if you thought you were going to continue getting direct deposit, but you end up getting a debit card in the mail, you will have to re-sign up for direct deposit if you want it.

I am also the RES Job Coach for my office so I can give you a brief explanation of what the program is. It is a program that was developed in July/August to give more intensive and comprehensive services to individuals trying to get back into the workforce. When the program first started, letters were sent to only those individuals who had (through a computer model) been identified as those who had at least a 50% likelihood of exhausting their benefits. Now, though, because they weren't getting the participation they thought they would, letters go to everyone who gets their first pay.

For the people that come to my office that have gotten the RES letters, I liken the RES program to being raised to VIP status with ESC. In my office I tell them that I (or my assistant) will be their "go-to" person in my office, that they will be able to come in and see just me for anything they need, whether it be information about a job number, a problem with their claim, doing a more intensive job search, etc. They have just one person to deal with each time, and don't have to see someone different each time they come in. I also tell them that should they choose to enroll in the program (it's not mandatory to enroll, but highly encouraged), when they come in the office let the receptionist know they're "RES" and either me or my colleague will help them next, no matter if there are 10 others ahead of them in the scheduler.

Our biggest offering is seminars for RES clients including resume writing, interviewing techniques, referral to training resources, etc.

The RES program is a 12-week program. After that, or if you find a job, then you can/will be removed from the program. We like to try and enroll each person that comes to the orientation. After all, there is SOMETHING in the program that will benefit you. You're not required to participate in any of the seminars, but you ARE required to participate in the one-on-one assessment after your orientation. Failure to do so after either the initial appointment or the reminder appointment will result in an issue being set on your claim that will stop payment. No, attending can't hurt. It's yet another resource being offered to you as you're trying to make your way back into the workforce.

I don't know how the other offices run their program, but it should be similar.

Last edited by jdljr; 02-01-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
JdJr

I have a specific situation I would like to clarify with you.

My original claim started in Nov 2008. I recieved 21 weeks UI, 16 1/2 weeks tier I, 10.5 weeks tier 2. I recieved a EB eligibility letter and one payment before my original benefit year expired. I started a new regular claim in Nov. 2009. My 13 weeks will end 3/21/10. I do not meet the 1.5 rule. I am to understand that I will be eligible for tier 3 pulled forward from my original claim? tier 4? How about EB?
Assuming I would qualify for teir 3 would it be 10 weeks or 6?
Thank you for helping all of us!!
Yes, my guess is that you may be eligible for Tier 3 pulled forward, and possibly one more week of Tier 2. I am not sure what will happen after that, as all that will be after the February 28th phase-out date. Just have to wait and see if that date gets extended.

There are just so many unknown's with this Feb 28th date. I hesitate to make any blanket statements because it's just so unclear at this point.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Right now, if you're filing a new benefit year the base period is 4Q2008, 1Q2009, 2Q2009 and 3Q2009. That's as far back as they go. If you can't set a new, regular UI claim using those quarters, then they'll bring forward your unused extension money for you to draw out in the new benefit year and you will not have to serve a new waiting week if you're just drawing unused extension money in your new benefit year.
so if
So, say if I had only $3000.00 made on 1st quarter '09 and around (aprox)$5600.00 in the last quarter of "08, would that possibly be enough to set a new Claim?
thanks for your esponse

Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
so if
So, say if I had only $3000.00 made on 1st quarter '09 and around (aprox)$5600.00 in the last quarter of "08, would that possibly be enough to set a new Claim?
thanks for your esponse
Yes it would. You must have a minimum of $4,550 spread out over two quarters in the base period to set a new, regular UI claim.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM

15 posts, read 23,879 times
Thanks for your response jdljr.

One more question...

For benefit year two, am I correct in thinking that the 1.5 rule discriminates against people who lost their jobs in the first half of a quarter?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,620 times
Ok my question is this I got the letter in the mail concerning the Tier 3 and my Tier 3 has since been exhausted as of last week. I called to find out of if I qualify for the Tier 4 and I was told I didn't because I didn't have any money. Prior to getting the Tier 3 I had not recieved any unemployment since June 2009 because I ran out of money, so how is it now I was able to get the Tier 3 but they are saying I can't get the Tier 4? It is really confusing to me because I haven't had luck finding a job and the Tier 3 helped but I want some clear answers and no one seems to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina