Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
That is certainly possible KC but I sure hope not. If that is the case noone could go through all 4 teirs in one benefit year. Right? Lets say you got 26 weeks regular ue. That would give you 21 weeks of tier 1, 13 weeks of tier 2. You'd have already started a new year before you were even able to finish tier 2. So if that is the case, the extension passed in November 2009 would not ever take place. Right? It would only work for those who got minimum benefits. Which means the less you made the more you'd get.
Yeah, I understand what your saying.
Could it be that people that were already in benefit year 2 and (qualified) for the extensions because they made the 1.5 rule are the ones benefiting from the tier 4?
I wish I could find somebody on this forum that can tell me that they exhausted their 1st benefit year went into a "new UI"," didn't" qualify for any other tiers and the esc pulledforward their unused benefts from year one .
I haven't found anyone in that situation so far, but that will be (ME)unless I get a job by the first part of May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM

177 posts, read 304,517 times
KC-

Good news I think. My friend who was in the same position just called the 1-866-795-8877 number and they fixed it for her. They told her she could file after 8 in the morning and shed be paid on Thursday. It did take her and hour or more to get through. I am going to start trying now and will let you know what happens.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Could it be that people that were already in benefit year 2 and (qualified) for the extensions because they made the 1.5 rule are the ones benefiting from the tier 4?
I wish I could find somebody on this forum that can tell me that they exhausted their 1st benefit year went into a "new UI"," didn't" qualify for any other tiers and the esc pulledforward their unused benefts from year one .
I haven't found anyone in that situation so far, but that will be (ME)unless I get a job by the first part of May.

KC
That is exactly my situation. I'll let you know as soon as I get through to them.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

29 posts, read 57,850 times
Default hello all - my situation...

i just discovered this great forum a few days ago after my "benefits exhausted" experience this past sunday when filing online. my regular 26 wks ran out 10/09, and as was indicated to me, my benefits seamlessly transitioned to the EUC at that time. A few wks ago when filing online, I notice came up saying I had "two more weeks of benefits", or words to that effect... I presumed at that time that I would transition to what I understand is tier two of EUC when that time came. My last benefit wk ended on 2/28/10. From reading the posts this is key since it is after 2/27/10, and that is why I am not transitioning to tier (2?) - am I correct? Also my benefit yr ends on 4/3/10 - is this also affecting my situation? Based on the 1.5 formula, I appear to be good. I called 866-795-8877 # and was told I do not have to file another claim - the person said that based on looking at my info, I should be eligible for continued benefits, and that she will fill out some kind of notice to present to her supervisor to hopefully rectify this - she also asked me the weekly certification questions. Is there something else I'm missing, and can someone fill me in on that? I can't tell you how great it is to be able to commiserate with you guys...

Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Bad news. When I called the 866 number the woman told me she basically couldn't help me and that no on else could either. She said IT had to deal with it. She couldn't even tell me if i am eligible for tier 3 to be pulled forward. She did file a claim suppposedly for this week and put it in her supervisors inbox. She told me my firend was lying and that no one there was able to do anything manually. I know my firend is telling the truth. But there is nothing I can do. She said to wait until later in the week and see if it is fixed. I asked what I should do if it wasn't - she said just keep waiting... How frustrating!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM

86 posts, read 174,198 times
if my benefit year started in Feb. 2010, but I haven't work since Sept. 2008, could i be eligible to get regular UI in this benefit year? thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 8,629 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0118
Thanks for everyone's help, especially JDLJR! Sorry he's gone
This is my first post, but I've been reading all, but haven't run across this particular question.
My first tier ended last week and today I got an odd ball amount of only $67. This does add up to 80% of my original claim, but I wasn't expecting to not get the full amount.. I suppose I assumed the 2nd tier would kick in or something (ok don't know what I was thinking). So I was wondering if this meant I would not qualify for the 2nd tier? Or perhaps it is today's computer mess up.
I was hoping that someone else had had this happen to them and it is completely normal. I started out at 24 weeks on 4/26/09 if that helps.
Thanks again for everyone's input!

That is odd, but I recall it happening to me during my 1st benefit year. Did you report working & earning any amount of $$ in a prior week? This would result in getting a payment for an odd amount, as you reached the end of benefits....I would think. Darn I miss jdljr!
Nope, no work done (I wish!) 1st tier, 80% of 24 weeks = 19.2 weeks, hence $336 per week for 19 weeks and $67 for .2 weeks. I sure hope tier 2 kicks in next week!

Also saw this on the NCESC website, I'm sure it is a given, but maybe for some filing accidentally caused and error.
"ESC will mail notices, beginning on December 31, 2009, that include instructions for filing a tier 3 unemployment insurance claim to those individuals who are potentially eligible to receive benefits under this program. To ensure prompt and proper payment, please follow the instructions provided in the notice. A customer service representative will expedite your claim.
For the tier 3 extension program, filing online or by Interactive Voice Response will result in errors and/or delays. "

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
I began drawing Unemployment benefits November, 2008. I have been pulled into each extension.

However two weeks ago I received letters from NCESC. The first said I was monitarily eligible for Second Tier EUC maximum benefit amount $6,916. The next day I received another letter saying I was not monetarily eligible to receive Emergency Unemployment (EUC) due to insufficient base period wages. I went to the local office and the guy told me I was pretty much finished and should apply with Social Services. He did look further to see I was eligible for $4,000. from my first benefit year and that is been pulled forward.

What I don't understand is the Federal Government is working on extending emergency unemployment benefits through the end of 2010 for long term unemployed workers and others. So it seems they are saying I do not qualify because I haven't earned enough money since I began filing. Of course I haven't, that's why I'm still on unemployment !!!!

This is so confusing to me. Will those unemployed since 2008 and prior be excluded from any future emergency extensions because of insufficient earnings?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM

131 posts, read 232,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
KC-

I exhausted regular UE, EUC, and was into EB when by benefit yr. ended in 10/09. I was elig for a new benefit year of 13 wks...I exhausted that, and based on 1.5 was not elig. for extensions in my new year. BUT..BUT...since they added week 14 to Tier 2, plus tiers 3 & 4.....I was able to go back to my OLD benefit year & elig to start Tier 3, which was supposed to be 50% of my orig. claim, or 9 weeks. I have been getting Tier 3 for 4 weeks & when I certified on Sunday for week#5, I got a message saying I had 2 weeks or less remaining, which is the source of my NEWEST confusion. I should have FOUR weeks, not 2 or less, so not sure what is going on.

At any rate, I think my situation describes what you were looking for in your above comment? (except the fact that they are seemingly cutting my Tier 3 short)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
if my benefit year started in Feb. 2010, but I haven't work since Sept. 2008, could i be eligible to get regular UI in this benefit year? thanks
If Jdjlr were here he could give you a good answer. Why is your benefit year start in Feb and not Sept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina