Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
It depends on the age of the person whether or not any of their ss benefits are taxable. This is not figured until tax time. Then the benefits are not reduced just taxed. Both of my parents draw ss and work fulltime. Both of them are over 70 so none of their ss is taxable. I know it seems kind of unfair but look at it like this. They have both been forced to pay ss over their lifetimes so they should be able to collect on it now. UE is a seperate matter. They have both worked full time for 50 + years. If they lose their jobs shouldn't they also be eligible for UE? Trust me SS benefits alone are not enough to live a very good lifestyle. That is why they work- so they can have the better things in life now that they have reached their golden years.

Just though I'd add some insight.
I've learned something new, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 29,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
I would agree that both parties are mishandling the jobs/unemployment crisis. It irks me that they can allocate trillions for bailing out the banks, auto makers & Wall St. & yet these entities are still paying their top execs millions in bonuses....all at taxpayer expense. And, yes, even those on UE benes still pay taxes! So with money STILL in that pot, the political parties don't see fit to utilize it to help it's own citizens who REALLY NEED the help. It wouldn't surprise me to see the same level of uprising they had in Greece (for which the US will rescue, too). As for Time2travel....clueless. I would have also normally assumed that going out & attempting a fast food job or some other part time job would be easy, too...until I tried with no luck. No one seems overly anxious to hire a 50+ year old woman with professional designations to flip burgers...I know. I've tried & been passed over. I have applied for fast food, waitstaff, cook, newspaper delivery, magazine ad sales, retail, administrative, receptionist, customer service, grocery clerk...you name it, I've applied for it. I have no guilt, no shame regarding my efforts to find a job. I now know, experiencially, how hard it is. So just as we are sterotyped as moochers, I suppose we can stereotype those with too much time & money on their hands. Quick to judge and grossly out of touch with reality....much like our lawmakers on both sides of the aisle!
Our government is the bailout funded banks and corporations. Dems/Rep are all wearing the same hat; meanwhile working for the the large companies that fund them with policy favors. The show given to us is just to cover up the truth that USA has been bought and sold.

They will continue to divide us by race, until our standard of living is diminished of the middle class. Then we will all be equal opportunity peasant servants.

Ready for the ride cause its coming....

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
Default Unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterri522 View Post
JDLJR

Here is what has happened to me.

Monday, I called and the claim was re-opened. I was told that a supervisor would key in 4 weeks on Tuesday and I should be able to file the remaining weeks on Wednesday or Thursday. On Tuesday morning I noticed that my status read as such: Regular Active Claim - Active Issues: NO.

This morning, there was only 1 payment processed for week ending 11/14/09 instead of 4. I click on file weekly certification- then the menu says to file for week ending 12/12/09. I attempted to file and when completed I received the following message:

Your claim for the week of 12/12/2009 has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because there is an issue on your claim pending an eligibility ruling. A determination will be made and mailed to you and your claim will be processed accordingly.

I received this message after filing week ending 12/12, 12/19, 12/26 and 1/02. Also, my profile status changed to ACTIVE ISSUES: YES.

I have not received a letter as of today.
I received the same exact message. Did you ever get an explanation as to what is happening? I plan to call tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM

115 posts, read 276,963 times
Did anyone else miss the 5/22 deadline to be eligible for extended benefits like me? I think you had to use up all of your current benefits by 5/22 in order to get the extended. My benefits run out next week, so I missed out by 1 freakin' week. My former employer is close to re-hiring me, but it's not 100% definite, but very close, so I'm hoping I can tough it out for a few weeks if Congress doesn't extend a new deadline. If things don't change, it kinda sucks that I will only get 6 months of benefits vs people who's had much longer than that. And that's with an unemployment rate of still around 10% for NC. Obviously things haven't improved much for our state.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a new extension is passed or I get hired back soon.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 49,863 times
js33 - I don't know that I understand it correctly - but I certainly don't think the deadline is "fair" to folks like yourself especially when unemployment is still HIGH... if it indeed means you don't qualify b/c of the May 22nd (and thereafter dates)... good luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM

64 posts, read 168,271 times
Hi all! Although I still check in I haven't posted in forever as my ue has been exhausted forever. But my mom was laid off a while back and I am wondering how EB is currently working. Assuming that she qualifies for EB:
*are there any dates/deadlines at the moment that effect the length of eb?
*how many weeks of eb are being paid out if you qualify for 100%
*any other issues I should be aware of to warn her about?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and I'm glad to see everyone is hanging in there and still posting to assist others.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnte View Post
Hi all! Although I still check in I haven't posted in forever as my ue has been exhausted forever. But my mom was laid off a while back and I am wondering how EB is currently working. Assuming that she qualifies for EB:
*are there any dates/deadlines at the moment that effect the length of eb?
*how many weeks of eb are being paid out if you qualify for 100%
*any other issues I should be aware of to warn her about?

Thanks in advance for the assistance and I'm glad to see everyone is hanging in there and still posting to assist others.
There is a phase out date for EB as well, but don't have it in front of me at the moment. EB pays 80% of your original qualifying claim duration, so if you originally got regular UI for 26 weeks, you'd get 20 weeks of EB.

Also, one cannot get EB if you have any disqualification on your claim, nor can one get EB if they are in a 2nd benefit year and qualified for a 2nd round of regular UI.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 PM

64 posts, read 168,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
There is a phase out date for EB as well, but don't have it in front of me at the moment. EB pays 80% of your original qualifying claim duration, so if you originally got regular UI for 26 weeks, you'd get 20 weeks of EB.

Also, one cannot get EB if you have any disqualification on your claim, nor can one get EB if they are in a 2nd benefit year and qualified for a 2nd round of regular UI.
Thankies jdljr, I appreciate your time!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,630 times
When my benefit year ran out, I still had some benefit money left. I called and they created a new benefit year for me. Actually, it took two calls. but after the second call I went in and re-certified, and all went well. Perhaps you can call them and do the same.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,963 times
Hi, i have a question. I am currently receiving pull forward benefits from my 1st benefit year.I am in tier 2 right now but am about to exhaust this tier, will i be able to get tier 3 and 4 pulled forward as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina