Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 47,810 times

Advertisements

awesome jmlib - i was not as lucky. i wonder if i should call again or wait and see what the senate does? probably wait today and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:22 PM

Man this is so stressful - I'm sure many of you feel the same. Not being able to land a job, unemployment insurance running out, i cant pay my bills/mortgage. I would have never thought id be in this situation - today ive been reading up on Chapter 7 bankruptcy....i consider myself an expert now because thats all ive been doing today - lol - ok thats really not funny, i know. Looks like it will cost roughly $2500 to hire a BK lawyer and get that taken care of. - I don't even have the money to do that - jeezzz.

I imagine alot of Americans will file bankruptcy in the near future because of the high unemployment - we are kind of left with no option. Im guessing this will have a horrible affect on the "economic recovery" - probably worse than the defecit caused by extending the unemployment insurance - i dont know i am just thinking out loud.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM

177 posts, read 304,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomon View Post
Man this is so stressful - I'm sure many of you feel the same. Not being able to land a job, unemployment insurance running out, i cant pay my bills/mortgage. I would have never thought id be in this situation - today ive been reading up on Chapter 7 bankruptcy....i consider myself an expert now because thats all ive been doing today - lol - ok thats really not funny, i know. Looks like it will cost roughly $2500 to hire a BK lawyer and get that taken care of. - I don't even have the money to do that - jeezzz.

I imagine alot of Americans will file bankruptcy in the near future because of the high unemployment - we are kind of left with no option. Im guessing this will have a horrible affect on the "economic recovery" - probably worse than the defecit caused by extending the unemployment insurance - i dont know i am just thinking out loud.
I do not know where you are in NC but if local to the Triangle check out cary bankruptcy $1349 for chapter 7. My husband and I have one or the other been unemployed since April 2007. As soon as our creditors found out about it they raised our interest rates from an average of 7.9% to 29.99%. After a foreclosure and a bankruptcy, which both just about destroyed me emotionally, I finally can sleep at night. It took me a year to actually file because I just thought it was wrong. After I suffered with an infection for three months for lack of money to go to the doctor, I finally gave in. It was worth it! Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM

thanks for the info - i live in fayetteville. I will look around for better prices for sure - every office i call is very uptight about giving phone estimates. Sorry to hear about you filing for BK - but i am glad that you guys feel better now. I am dealing with the same feelings about it "not being right" - but its looking more and more inevitable for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Hey everyone, I have been watching the news wires (google) all day and something new popped up an hour ago. I dont know how legitimate the article is but it sounds like the Senate is trying to pass this along quickly.

Reid could move on extenders bill tonight

By Jay Heflin - 06/07/10 03:09 PM ET

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) could introduce a substitute amendment to the House-passed tax extender bill as early as this evening, a Reid spokesman told The Hill.
It is not clear what the package will include, but some sources have been told the unemployment insurance portion of the bill could run separately.
"We have to pass an emergency extension of unemployment benefits and other matters related to job creation that help out-of-work Americans make ends meet," Reid said earlier Monday. "These benefits have now expired, and so has our patience for excuses."
The senator also said Federal Medical Assistance Percentages (FMAP), which was not extended in the House, would become a part of the extender package moving through his chamber.
"We intend to add to that bill FMAP funding, that's Medicaid money to ensure the poorest in our communities can afford to stay healthy, which will protect jobs in states like Nevada and prevent deep cuts to critical services," he said.
It is not clear when work will be completed on the extender package, but once it is finished Reid would like to move to legislation helping small businesses.
"We have to pass a bill designed specifically for small business, to help them grow and to help them hire more workers," he said. "This bill includes more tax incentives and also establishes a new lending facility for small businesses."

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

The Senate is addressing unemployment insurance live, right now - CSPAN

Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,435,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
JDLJR,
thanks for your dedication and your hardwork and kindness to all of us on the many threads on the city-data forum.
You've helped so very many of us.
Theres really no words to thankyou enough for everything you do
You're welcome, KC.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 75,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Tyg, congratulations!

Either of the options is fine to do, but like the rep said, you must continue your work searches up until you start your job to be able to qualify to certify for UI each week. Otherwise, if you can get a statement from your new employer (on company letterhead) that you can submit to ESC stating the date you are to start employment with them, ESC can waive the worksearch requirement and you can still file up until the date you start your new job.

It's less paperwork for you, ESC and your new employer if you just continue your worksearch each week in order to file, but it's whatever you want to do. If you do neither the worksearch or the letter, you shouldn't file each week.
Thank you jdljr! I am very excited about the new job & about moving

Well, I decided that considering how stressful moving cross country to a new state to start a new job in about 3 weeks is, that I would go to ESC today and get my work searches waived. However, it didn't work that way. I filled out a form, and they would not accept my documentation (I had both a letter on company letterhead and a "welcome email" printed out). They told me that my work searches would NOT be wiaved, and that I must continue to do them if I certified. I was quite disappointed, since that was the ONLY reason for taking the 1 1/2 hours that it took to go to the office, stand in line, and talk to someone so that over the next 3 weeks I'd be free to focus on moving, etc.

So, when I pressed the issue & explained my situation, I was given the "manager's" email address and was told to email requesting that this week's work searches be waived. Well, I emailed and requested all 3 weeks to be waived. I'm hoping that tomorrow I get a positive response!!!

They told me that they prefer people to continue to search for work because 1) the job could fall through before the start date, or 2) you could get a "better offer" from another job before your start date. In my case, neither of those would apply since it's a very done deal & they're even paying relocation (up front). Plus, it makes me uncomfortable to apply to jobs knowing that I couldn't interview or accept it if I was contacted.

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm really hoping this manager can work with me, especially so that I'm not having to apply to jobs during the week I'll be on the road!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 AM

17 posts, read 32,502 times
To jdljr . . . do you have any idea yet when they will be running the pull forwards programming?
Also. . . thank you very much for taking your own personal free time to answer all of our frustrated questions on here! It is a kindness that means more than you will ever know! Bless you!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
I do not know where you are in NC but if local to the Triangle check out cary bankruptcy $1349 for chapter 7. My husband and I have one or the other been unemployed since April 2007. As soon as our creditors found out about it they raised our interest rates from an average of 7.9% to 29.99%. After a foreclosure and a bankruptcy, which both just about destroyed me emotionally, I finally can sleep at night. It took me a year to actually file because I just thought it was wrong. After I suffered with an infection for three months for lack of money to go to the doctor, I finally gave in. It was worth it! Good Luck!
I went this route as well...and your issues sound quite similar to what I had to go thru. We had some debt that accumulated through the years, but it was something that we were managing when I worked. But sometime during the Great Recession...I lost my job, and our interest rates on our credit cards, etc skyrocketed to 20%-30%. We'd call to plead for some help because as a family, we were deep in red and our savings was draining fast. And we were told, basically..."oh well...there's nothing we can do for you...pay up". In fact, we had heard about a program from our mortgage company where we could hold off paying the mortgage for 6 months. However, they wouldn't give it to us since we were still on time with our payments and they were only giving that to homeowners who were very late. That kinda sucked. It's like, had we fallen far behind and destroyed our credit in the process...they might help us. But since we had been dipping into savings to keep the creditors off our backs...they won't help us. They would only help us once our savings is emptied and were truly broke. I was also told to avoid the debt settlement companies like the plague.

We talked to a lawyer here in Raleigh, and yes, we paid around $1300 here in Raleigh. I would not recommend him...while our bankruptcy went through fairly smoothly, he was a dolt. Rockamon, I would really shop around. It's really a tough decision. Especially for someone like myself, who is conservative, stubborn, and I hate admitting that I need help...my anxiety was at it's highest. But we had no other choice. And while the conservative blood in me says to do everything you can to prevent having to go thru bankruptcy, it was one of the best decisions we made as a family. I wanted to do anything possible to protect my family and the roof over our head. And by filing, I was able to do this.

With the direction this country is headed in, there's little hope for 4%-7% unemployment in the coming years. 8.5M people have lost work since December 2007...that's a tremendous clot in our system. And EUC will eventually run out. That only means more bankruptcies...more foreclosures on top of our record foreclosures.

But hey...some people may get lucky and find work...more will even find temp jobs/part time jobs that pay about a third of what they were getting paid before they were laid off. Then we'll continue reading news headlines like, "USA Steps Back From Brink of Deep Recession" and "Over 440K Jobs Created Last Month! YEEEESSSSS!!!" - Just don't actually read the story where you'll find out that 400K are low paying, temp gov't jobs.

It's not getting easier...it's not getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina