Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM

81 posts, read 173,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterri522 View Post
Hello,

It has been awhile since I have been on here...I would like to know if someone could shed some light on the non-tier 5 extension and the possible tier 1- being extended with additional 14 weeks.
Currently there are 78 co-sponsors. The media is sorta starting to show some interest in it, as I have seen it mentioned a couple times as of late.
Speaker Boehner (maybe he can shed some of those tears for us) and Leader Cantor are to meet with Lee and Scott to try to get this bill moving forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I just don't think it's going to happen.
Don't give up yet
Keep sending in those letters to your district representatives. Everyone can and should contact Speaker Boehner. Contact | Speaker of the House John Boehner | speaker.gov
Don't ask for support of this bill, DEMAND support for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,929 times
Hello all I am sure this question has been asked ALOT...but my computer is being silly and will not allow me to go back, it decideds to freeze on me, so here I am posting with hopes of some help from you guys....I am on the first year (ended 03/26/2011) I recieved this notice tonight "Our records indicate that your benefit year has expired. If you need further information, call the Remote Service Center at 1-888-737-0259".....I was not sure if I should just go ahead and re-file online (file a new claim) or call them....I started filing the new claim online and noticed that my previous employers info came up and asked for his fax #, 2nd question will they need to get a hold of him??? He is no longer in business....will this be a problem???...I canceled the claim and decided to just post here with some hope of an answer (....I will prob. not sleep tonight....) this always makes me so stressed!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHA12 View Post
Hello all I am sure this question has been asked ALOT...but my computer is being silly and will not allow me to go back, it decideds to freeze on me, so here I am posting with hopes of some help from you guys....I am on the first year (ended 03/26/2011) I recieved this notice tonight "Our records indicate that your benefit year has expired. If you need further information, call the Remote Service Center at 1-888-737-0259".....I was not sure if I should just go ahead and re-file online (file a new claim) or call them....I started filing the new claim online and noticed that my previous employers info came up and asked for his fax #, 2nd question will they need to get a hold of him??? He is no longer in business....will this be a problem???...I canceled the claim and decided to just post here with some hope of an answer (....I will prob. not sleep tonight....) this always makes me so stressed!!!
My benefit year also expired last week and I was unable to file my weekly certification yesterday (03-27-11). All you have to do is call 888-737-0259 and they will set up your new benefit year. I called right at 8 o'clock this morning and was only on hold for less than 5 minutes. The lady that took my call was very nice and helpful and the process only took 3-4 minutes. She said I could file my weekly certification tomorrow for last week. Hope this relieves your stress.....it certainly did mine!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,323 times
Default Confusing...will I have to repay

Got laid off after 20 yrs at one company and was making pretty good money. I started rcvg benefits in Nov 2009, I was in the middle of Tier 2 in Nov 2010, and filled out the paper work for the new year. I had what I figured 7 or 8 weeks left in Tier 2(taking me to me to the mid or end of Jan 2011) and they sent me a statement at that time confirming that.

However, it is now April and I'm still able to go online every week and do the weekly certifications. I never got any letter saying I was extended to Tier 3 and have no idea how long this will last. I haven't been called in to show my search records since last July.

I don't want to end up owing back the NCESC but I need the money as I still have not found employment. Do they think I'm in my first year? Should I have rcv'd a letter or something saying I was in Tier 3 and how much and all that? My account online profile shows Start Nov 2010 End Nov 2011, but I started in Nov 2009.

I'm always looking, applying and interviewing for work. Sometimes it's like I'm applying and interviewing for jobs that really don't exist. Like the openings got the RIF. But now it's getting really bad because they look at the BIG GAP of 17 months and don't want to hire because of that. 25 Years in tech field without a gap and it's useless now without a Degree and this big GAP. It is VERY COMPETIVE OUT HERE FOR EACH POSITION. I'm applying for anything and everything.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 AM

81 posts, read 173,363 times
Hi starluna and welcome to the forums.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Not sure why you didn't get a letter about moving into tier III, but you are doing your part and you claim is still active and all. No need to worry, I don't think. You should be good for the full 99 weeks, if you don't find work first.
I too have had a heck of a time finding anything. I have been everywhere around, and nothing. I get an interview once in a while, but still haven't gotten a job. I haven't drawn UI since Jan and I am really beginning to worry now. Almost broke and nothing to look forward to. And I am not being 'picky' about what I will take. Heck, I would clean crap out of stables at this point, lol.

No word yet on the possible extension of 14 weeks to tier one that is still in Ways and Means. I hope people here have been writing their reps about it. It seems like we have a bunch of childern running our government these days. They remind me of 3rd graders fighting over who is going to get to kick the ball first. They certainly are not doing anything to get our jobs back, though they sure like to talk the jobs creation junk. All talk and no action, is all I see. Now there is talk of a nearly certain double-dip recession, which of course means more jobs lost, not gained. Our country is in a flat spin and running out of room to recover. A few more spirals and all that will be left to happen is the crash...

Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 48,215 times
I just checked the NCESC website and it says that NC no longer qualifies for EB. I am on tier 4 right now with my last week ending Sunday so does that mean no one can get EB in NC any more?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM

264 posts, read 362,465 times
Brandi4484, NC doesn't trigger off until 4/16 so I think you're ok for at least 2 weeks. Not sure about after that.

I've just done some online research about EB triggers. For EB to be available in a state, the current Total Unemployment Rate needs to be 110% of the unemployment rate of the previous 2 years. This is why the NC EB is triggering off. Unemployment is still very high -- 9.7 percent -- but as a percentage of last year's rate, it's only 85 percent. Compared to 2 years ago, it's 106 percent.

Recent federal law changes allow states to adopt a 3-year look back for their EB triggers. Oregon, Massachusetts and Michigan have recently done so. NC, so far, has not. If it were to adopt a 3 year look back, North Carolina would qualify for EB as the current rate today is 196% of the unemployment rate three years ago!

Here's the weekly EB trigger notice published by the Department of Labor:

Trigger Notice Report

This is very important. We all need to contact our state legislators to urge them to adopt a 3-year look back for the EB trigger!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM

33 posts, read 48,215 times
OK thank you! I did some miscalculating so I think I am only at the end of tier 3 so I hope to be able to go into tier 4, but we will see.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 AM

86 posts, read 154,606 times
My teir 4 ends exactly april 16th. I knew this day would come but I didn't know it would be this soon. I can't believe that i'm going from employed Architect to possible homeless.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 34,593 times
I just saw this on the ESC.com website... I hate when they just put up a blanket statement and it does not make sense. How do you know if this applies to you. I was layed off in July 2010 and didnt start getting benefits until August. Does this apply to me? I guess I will have to wait until Monday AM and line up with everyone on the phone and wait to ask...

Please be advised that due to the recent decline in the North Carolina Unemployment Rate, the state no longer meets the Federal and State requirements of the Extended Benefits Program. In accordance with Federal and State law, the Employment Security Commission cannot pay any Extended Benefit claims for weeks later than April 16, 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina