Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM

122 posts, read 160,636 times

Advertisements

I sent Bev an email, we shall see if it makes a difference. Clegg said the ESC is reviewing its options to try and extend the April 16 deadline.

Last edited by stillunemployed; 04-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM

86 posts, read 154,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
People,
As other members have stated, do KEEP YOUR HOPES UP AND ALIVE. Unemployment is very high in North Carolina, 9.7%. Other states (Ohio, Michigan, Oregon) have opted to adopt the new law allowing states to change from a 2 year to 3 year TUR lookback, when determining the state's elligibility for EB benefits. I have faith first in Our Lord, and second, that NC Legislature will be able to amend their current law, for the benefit of its citizens who have been endlessly looking for work. Now that gas prices are sky-high, this will be greatly appreciated.
I hope some of you are correct! I am just now starting to dig myself out of the hole with part-time and contract work. I am sure that by the end of the year or in my case 5 more months would help me find enough work to sustain myself. it would at least give me more time to find a second part-time job because currently there are still no full-time Architectural jobs. I'm currently applying at Lowes and praying that I get the job because it would give me a 10 hour work day. I don't want hand outs, I just want a chance to help myself.

I was at the Albamarle office today and was told that the State had already contemplated and reviewed whether they should adopt the 3 year lookback and decided not to. I was told this is FINAL, so notch up my job search. I wanted to slap her,, but I just turned around and went home . I'm not saying that I believe what they say because they have consistenly been negative during this whole ordeal but there is NO public news on this issue. it's seems like something they could very well just ignore. I hope not!

Take care all.

BTW I've emailed and called today.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM

187 posts, read 258,219 times
LanahB, I agree with you that this has been a negative ordeal with the ESC all along. There are a few news articles out there, and the latest I've heard, as "stillunemployed" previously posted, ESC Director David Clegg has said the ESC is reviewing its options to try to extend its April 16 deadline. I, along with all the others here, am hoping and praying that this indeed does get extended and that NC adopts the 3 year lookback, just as South Carolina has, just as Ohio has, just as Michigan has, and so on. I'm sure that these states are also in debt, but, even so, at the present, this EB benefit lifeline is 100% federally funded, and gives us, the unemployed, the ability to purchase gas to indeed go out there and look for work to sustain ourselves and our families. Let us pray to the Lord, and actually have the faith that He will be on our side and help us during this difficult ordeal, especially during the upcoming Easter season. God bless all of you and your families, and please do not lose the faith in God, and keep your spirits and hopes high...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

122 posts, read 160,636 times
Please don't hold your breath for the NC ESC, I doubt they will do the right thing!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM

264 posts, read 362,465 times
My understanding is that Governor Perdue can only sign a bill that the NC General Assembly has passed. Here's a list of the NC House of Representatives:

North Carolina General Assembly - NC House of Representatives Members (2011-2012 Session)

And here's a list of our State Senators:

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Telephone and Office Assignments (2011-2012 Session)

Please contact them.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Roughly 37,000 North Carolina residents will lose their unemployment benefits this month.

Legislators could keep that from happening, but so far, lawmakers aren't moving in that direction.

The state Employment Security Commission says the extended benefit program will end April 16. The federally-funded program relies on a specific calculation to determine when states are eligible to award the benefits. North Carolina's falling jobless rate triggered the loss of the payments.

At least eight states have changed the formula to keep the money flowing, and six others are considering it. North Carolina isn't among them.

Alexandra Sirota is the director of the North Carolina Budget and Tax Center. She says it's critical to keep those benefits in place, not just for the unemployed, but for their communities.

Read more: 37,000 in NC face sudden loss of jobless benefits - North Carolina & Regional - Wire - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/04/05/2082535/37000-in-nc-face-sudden-loss-of.html#ixzz1IfahOkcb - broken link)

People,
This is the last of the news that I have available thus far. This is probably the article that "Stillunemployed" read beforte putting up his last post. To him and to all of you, I ask that you do not despair. Keep your faith and your hope up. At the same time, we need to all join in and actually contact these representatives. With the change of the small "formula" from 2 to 3 year lookback, we can have our wages. This is 100% federally funded, and federally approved till the end of 2011! ! I urge all of you to call your representatives immediately and keep up your spirits! !

Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM

PEOPLE,
Use the list above from "ABCDE12's" post and write to each and every representative and senator! ! ! I'm in the process of doing this right now and I've had 3 positive responses from 3 representatives! ! ! We must all fight for this together if we are to be heard and understood! ! Please, I urge all of you who's lifeline is depending on these benefits.... BEGIN TO WRITE! ! !

Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM

PEOPLE,
In addition, we all need to send e-mails to the following North Carolina ESC Directors and Representatives: Thomas.H.Hodges@ncesc.gov
kevin.carlson@ncesc.gov
muriel.k.offerman@ncesc.gov
david.clegg@ncesc.gov

I urge all of you to do this! ! ! The word of "ALL OF US" is stronger than the word of just one person! ! ! !

Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM

32 posts, read 50,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemmy View Post
@ Joe53- your benefits should continue without pause (mine did- I didn't even know when that 26 weeks were up).
You just go online and keep filing your weekly cert. If you want to have more piece of mind, just call Raleigh 2 weeks out to verify, but for me, they just continued.
The only time mine totally stopped was at the 1 year mark. I had to call and they started me on year 2. I went one week without a check- like it was an entirely new claim- then it has just continued on.

I just want to make sure the April 16th thingie doesn't apply to me since I have just started my year 2 and not EB.
Cemmy, THANK YOU. If I understand you correctly, The April 16th deadline should not apply to me as I am only in my first 26 of unemployment. The 4/16/11 cut-off has to do with the Fed Backed Money for unemployment correct? State Backed money = EUC08 Tier 1 20 weeks, EUC08 Tier 2 13 weeks, & EB 20 weeks. AM I CORRECT? All State backed Unemployment? not effected?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 50,331 times
Default Some help please.....April 16th Deadline

If I understand correctly, The April 16th deadline should not apply to you right now if you are still receiving your first 26 weeks of unemployment. The 4/16/11 cut-off has to do with the Fed Backed Money for unemployment correct? After your the 26 weeks, state Backed money = EUC08 (Tier1 20 weeks), EUC08 (Tier2 13 weeks), & EB (20 weeks) kicks in.
AM I CORRECT? All State backed Unemployment? not effected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina