Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM

122 posts, read 160,653 times

Advertisements

It's 9 weeks to the end of the budget! Looking more like who can hold out the longest. I will be ok will a lump sum check the 1st week in July, I hope the rest of you can hold on,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 8,682 times
Hi. I have been reading this forum for a while and wish to thank all those who post. The information that you have provided has been greatly appreciated. I am 57 years old so finding a job has been an enormous undertaking. Moved in with in-laws this week and have applied for food stamps. Can't buy food this medication this month because health insurance runs out and I have no money to pay premium. Enough of my problems. I pray for all of you each day. I can not believe that a simple change in reporting could be such an enormous task. Just pass the bill.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

187 posts, read 258,243 times
We are all hoping and we are all praying... Please continue to write to these Legislators, especially to Speaker Tillis, and be proactive and supportive of our cause for EB benefits, and continue to stress to him the importance of the passage of the required legislature to restore our benefits.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

249 posts, read 303,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
It's 9 weeks to the end of the budget! Looking more like who can hold out the longest. I will be ok will a lump sum check the 1st week in July, I hope the rest of you can hold on,
Unfortunately, those not already receiving the EB won't get retroactive payments. By July that will be more than the 37,000 that were cut off in the first place. This needs to be addressed NOW.

Please don't give up.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM

169 posts, read 313,930 times
Default Retroactive with a catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Unfortunately, those not already receiving the EB won't get retroactive payments. By July that will be more than the 37,000 that were cut off in the first place. This needs to be addressed NOW.

Please don't give up.
If you are eligible for EB as you get off you fourth tier in two or three weeks say, you won't get retroactive EB when it gets reinstated? ok I understand.....

Then they just extend you your full 20 weeks(starting from the day EB gets reinstated) until...roughly five months later instead.

You still get your 20 weeks, just not the retroactive back-pay for the weeks they forced you to miss(because they were bickering like 7 year olds).It will be moving forward?

I called ESC today and they said payments would be retroactive, she said I needed to meet work search requirements and keep filing?!

Geez, when is this going to happen already. I have never seen such a pitiful display of accommodation amongst adults.

So, Gov purdue called the republican bluff by vetoing the bill, and now the republicans are calling her bluff by creating a stalemate. She is a democrat governor(although conservative) and can't possibly justify letting unemployment run out(democrats are "for the working man"....). They are waiting for her to cave in.....
at this point i don't care, I just want the smoke to clear.

North Carolina representatives WHAT A SHAMEFUL DISPLAY OF DEMOCRACY.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,112 times
I emailed every Senator today I am also on EB. This the response I received from Senator Ellie Kinnaird:

Thank you for your email and your advocacy in support of unemployed workers in our state. I will support legislation to extend unemployment benefits when it comes before the State Senate; I know that this extension of benefits is vital for those workers and their families who continue to suffer the effects of the recession in North Carolina. Since the change in the make-up of the Senate, we can only work as a minority to affect legislation, but I will do all I can.
Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Ellie Kinnaird

Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Right, HistoryProf2011. Not to mention that no one's goal is to stay on Unemployment for 20 weeks. So, if we are blessed to find a job soon, we missed the weeks we desperately needed the money and may not even see the remaining weeks anyway.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB302 View Post
I emailed every Senator today I am also on EB. This the response I received from Senator Ellie Kinnaird:

Thank you for your email and your advocacy in support of unemployed workers in our state. I will support legislation to extend unemployment benefits when it comes before the State Senate; I know that this extension of benefits is vital for those workers and their families who continue to suffer the effects of the recession in North Carolina. Since the change in the make-up of the Senate, we can only work as a minority to affect legislation, but I will do all I can.
Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Ellie Kinnaird
Thanks for the contacting the Senators today, TB302. Fortunately, I think all the Democrats will support our plight. It's the Republicans that we need to hound to pass a clean bill. Can some of these Republicans use some logic and let their ego get out of the way please?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Thanks for the feedback

The republicans are doing a crazy job at making this all look like Gov. Purdue's fault. They have taken every opportunity to say we are waiting for HER to compromise. Like compromising is a once sided action here. I find it intriguing how un-intelligibly Rep. Tillis has cemented his stance in this issue, what a true embarrassment to treat people as bargaining chips.

This is serious political hardball, and it mirrors what happened in our federal government only weeks ago. Republicans throwing their weight around trying make appropriations to budgets that slash benefits, housing assistance, education funds, headstart programs for babies, etc,etc. What good is a government that doesn't serve the needs of the people..the masses, not the elite.

Can someone say, we(collectively) need a new system?! Their is a breakdown in the mechanisms that are meant to run efficiently...and most importantly, honestly.

Rant..rant..rant any progress on EB yet?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Default I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Right, HistoryProf2011. Not to mention that no one's goal is to stay on Unemployment for 20 weeks. So, if we are blessed to find a job soon, we missed the weeks we desperately needed the money and may not even see the remaining weeks anyway.
It is no one's goal to stay on unemployment for 20 weeks. No doubt that is true.

I hope we all pull through ok, and things are settled very soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina