Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM

169 posts, read 204,303 times

Advertisements

Did anyone tune into the Finance meeting at 8:30? Anything to report?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:26 AM

162 posts, read 212,893 times
Tillis "It's the Gov. inaction that is holding those benefits hostage". Also he expects an EB provision in budget when it comes out of Senate. Nobody ever asks why attach it to the budget? Or why not pass a clean bill. from his press conf. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...l?stream=press

Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM

134 posts, read 172,647 times
Dear All,

As you are all aware, the bill that would fix the extended benefit trigger has still not moved. We are working to generate ongoing media attention to this issue as well as ensure that policymakers remain aware that many families are affected across the state by their inaction.

For those of you who would like more regular updates, we are trying to provide them on this website: The Progressive Pulse or www.ncpolicywatch.com As well, we are making every effort to share stories from folks as we get them. More on this effort soon.

In the meantime, we are also planning a press event in Charlotte at 11:30 am on Monday to call on the Speaker of the House and the leadership to move the extended benefit bill forward. The event will be held at the Employment Security Commission office at 5601 Executive Center Drive, Charlotte, NC 28212. Please let me know if you will be able to attend as we are trying to get a sense of numbers.

Sincerely, Alexandra

Alexandra Forter Sirota
Director
North Carolina Budget and Tax Center

Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 AM

174 posts, read 313,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
You must hold out until July 1st........this will be the turning point if at all. I can say that if it does not happen by then I really don't think it will at all.
if that's the case then it's even more of a reason for me to spend all the remainder time looking for a job and a extremely cheap place to live. I no longer can spend time doing all of this stuff and they are going to wait until July 1st to take care it. I won't get retroactive payments so getting $329 dollars two months later will do nothing for me.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM

249 posts, read 304,845 times
NC Senate head: Jobless funds standoff continues - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

The only good news here is that this article is all over the place because it is from the Associated Press. We need to keep a light on this story so these leaders can be called out for playing games with everyone's lives. It's inexcusable.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM

249 posts, read 304,845 times
This is another version of the article coming out of the AP and it hit the Connecticut Post.
Keep up the good work everyone!

NC Senate head: Jobless funds standoff continues - Connecticut Post (http://www.ctpost.com/default/article/NC-Senate-head-Jobless-funds-standoff-continues-1373513.php - broken link)

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM

49 posts, read 63,128 times
Default No support from Republicans...

I spent 15 minutes on the phone with a representative from Thom Goolsby's office this morning. He echoed the comments from Berger, "We sent a resolution to the Governor and she vetoed." When I asked why Goolsby had not signed the discharge petition he said they stand firm on linking EB to HB 383 to avoid gov't shutdown... further saying EB would cease on July 1st anyway if the gov't shutdown. I asked him when the gov't so called "shut down" happened if he would recieve compensation and his answer was no. I asked him how long he could survive without his salary and he said not long... then we debated how 37,000+ must feel having lost benefits on April 16th. He indicated the republicans would stand firm on linking the bill to the budget and although they were concerned with the economy and the welfare of the people of NC there was no resolution in sight.

I'm not going on about my conversation to discourage the phone calls and push for media blitz. It seems to be the reality that after 100 years Republicans have the control and they aren't going to budge.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM

169 posts, read 204,303 times
Agreed, this is no time to throw in the towel. Just look what we were able to accomplish with only a couple days of rattling cages.

This is the time to crank up the intensity more!

Somebody post some names and numbers! Let's light up somebody's switchboard!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM

134 posts, read 172,647 times
Looks like the media is ripping our government a new one. GOOD FOR THEM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina