Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

169 posts, read 203,476 times

Advertisements

Here's an email from one of my Hero's

REQUEST FOR HELP:

All,

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you’re all doing well. All of you contacted me either by posting on our blog or emailing me about being some of the 37,000 affected folks. I’ve blind-copied everyone, since I didn’t want to violate anyone’s privacy by sending your email without permission.

I posted this on the blog as well, but I was hoping I could ask a favor of those who are willing to publicly share a bit more of their stories.

We’re hoping to launch a page soon dedicated solely to news about the standoff over the unemployment benefits soon. I’ll let you know as soon as it’s live.
In the meantime, I’m trying to collect more profiles of people, include photographs of those of you that are caught up in this limbo. The profiles would be very brief – essentially just the basic facts of the unemployment, a photo and how its effecting you. We may be doing larger ones as (and if) this continues. Part of the problems seems to be that there’s not a lot of realization of the real people being effected by this. By showing who you are, and what you’ve been through, hopefully that can be addressed.
If you could, please email me the following:

a.) A one to two paragraph description of your situation and your thoughts on the the tough choices you’re making with the benefits on hold as well as what you think about how politicians in Raleigh are dealing with this. I’m looking to here, in your words, what this has been like.

b) first and last name (include a nickname if that’s what you go by)
c) age
d) town or city where you live
e.) Job and date you were laid off from
f.) A digital photograph of yourself or your family, whatever you’re comfortable with being shared.

You can send it to sarah@ncpolicywatch.com.
For those who don’t know, there’s also a rally Monday at the Charlotte ESC office that unemployed workers are invited to attend. More information is available here: MEDIA ADVISORY: Unemployed workers to speak at Charlotte press conference on benefits extension | NC Justice Center
Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy the weekend as much as one can in this situation.

Best,

Sarah

Sarah Ovaska
Investigative reporter
N.C Policy Watch/N.C. Justice Center
P.O. Box 28068
224 S. Dawson St.
Raleigh, N.C. 27611
(919) 861-1463
sarah@ncpolicywatch.com
NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield | News and commmentary about public policy in North Carolina., NC Justice Center | NC Justice Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 PM

230 posts, read 274,184 times
So anyone have any news about Perdue's announcement?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM

I feel that next week may be our finest moments in this battle. The media is ready to tell OUR story. We have the backing of influential organizations. The GA and Gov are getting it from all sides, calls, emails, facebook, twitter, media comments, press meeting, etc. Websites are forming, blogs are developing. etc etc

DON'T LET UP! CALL CALL and CALL again, EMAIL TOO!

Let's fill up those voicemail boxes this weekend! FORCE EB ONTO NEXT WEEKS CALENDAR!

Don't accept any answer from your representatives other than "I am taking care of it right NOW"

Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 PM

156 posts, read 189,313 times
AMEN to that ebnow!!! I hope some of the people I commented to yesterday on Facebook also join the fight. I told them about this site and it was where we all were helping each other!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 PM

187 posts, read 258,243 times
Make sure everyone makes it possible to attend the rally in Charlotte on Monday. This is very important and will be the turning point of all this bickering. The more people, the better things will be for us. Let's show them we care...

Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM

156 posts, read 189,313 times
I also think it would be good to have certain things on signs if possible. I'd put something like, WHY DON"T YOU CALL ME BACK, DO WE REALLY MEAN THIS LITTLE TO YOU, MAY GOD LOOK UPON YOUR ACTIONS!!!

Without saying derogatory things to them, we need to say how this has HURT US!!! What sucks is for people who have nothing to spare right now, being able to attend. They won't have a voice at this meeting. So the ones who are going to show, need to show BIG AND BE HEARD. Even it you can take someone with you that's not on EB, they could come for support.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
Yep. We're all saved. She just brought 29 jobs to NC.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

264 posts, read 362,485 times
Quote:
And she has told them what she needed to resolve this.. Berger wants her to give into his demands to give us the money we are already suposed to get.

Its like someone asking you to hold $5 and then telling you he will not give it back to you until you give him 100 permanently.
Thank you, Thaylin. I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to point this out.

Governor Perdue has said repeatedly she wants to sign an EB bill. That is not the problem. But she cannot allow the entire state budget to be held hostage. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

230 posts, read 274,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
Yep. We're all saved. She just brought 29 jobs to NC.

what makes anyone think that 29 jobs is worthy of such an announcement?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:13 PM

169 posts, read 313,930 times
Default What announcement?

Quote:

Resignation?!,

or that the national sport has been switched: it is no longer Nascar....it is now water polo.

or

will she speak out on behalf of the struggling North Carolinians that have been hit with a financial tornado that has destroyed their livelihoods?
She seems to pay close attention to the people affected by the natural disaster and NO attention to the disaster she has caused with her negligence to the unemployed.

or has North Carolina "created" 200 more Mcdonalds openings in her "Job Tour".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina