Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,275,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape2013 View Post
Last year about this time, I missed an appointment at the unemployment office and lost my benefits and was then requested to pay back the last 3 weeks of benefits I had received. I payed some of it back and the rest was waived.

Now, I am unemployed again, laid off. I work in construction and so jobs come and go. My most recent job lasted from about the time I stopped receiving my benefits last year until mid January.

I filed my claim online and everything went fine. I never received any mailings stating there was an issue and my claim profile online says "No" under "Active Issues". However, the last two weeks(I just recently filed, had been living off of savings) when I have tried to file my weekly certification it says that I am disqualified due to a prior issue. I contacted the ESC who told me it was because of the meeting I missed last year, I asked them how a meeting from a year ago on a different claim could effect this one. I was just told to contact my local office and that when you miss such a meeting you are "indefinitely" disqualified until the situation is rectified.

I contact my local office who tells me in a rather matter of fact, smart ass way that the issue was resolved effective 3/31/2012. I explained that I have not been able to successfully complete a weekly certification and as such, have not received nor will receive any benefits. The person there just kinda shunned it off still saying it is not an issue. Obviously, it is an issue for me. I have a lead on a job that is very promising but that is about a month away so I really need these benefits as my savings have all but run dry.

Is it possible that he is right and it is no longer an issue but is just taking time to make it through the channels of bureaucracy?
When you applied for benefits in January, did you receive an entirely new claim with a different $$ benefit and a new expiration date on that claim of January 2013....

or was NC paying you from the first, earlier claim?

The timeframe you've laid out indicates you have reached the benefit year-end of that first claim, which you say you opened about a year ago. In other words, if you've been collecting unused state benefits from your first claim, that claim has expired. The only way you can continue benefits from that first claim would be if you began federal EUC (tier) benefits before it expired and would recertify that claim. Otherwise, you need an entirely new state claim.

Call NC (or visit) and ask:
  1. On which claim you've been receiving benefits;
  2. If that claim expired and is eligible for recertification; and,
  3. If not, tell them you want to open an entirely new claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,848,558 times
Do you have to actually call or visit the NC employment office when your benefit year ends? Can you not do it online? And if so, how long do you have to re-apply? The reason that I ask is that I will be going out of state the end of the week that mine ends and will be gone for 3 weeks. I hadn't planned on claiming for those weeks, but I need to have it resume as soon as I get home.

Never gone through this before. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 12,017 times
This website has I'm sure been posted here before but I thought I would repost it for those that
need additional information on when EB will be shut off for certain states.

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Note: I did NOT see NC listed anywhere on this page or on any of the links. Please correct me, if
you in fact do see it listed.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomco View Post
This website has I'm sure been posted here before but I thought I would repost it for those that
need additional information on when EB will be shut off for certain states.

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Note: I did NOT see NC listed anywhere on this page or on any of the links. Please correct me, if you in fact do see it listed.
The data reported on that page has not yet been updated to conform with the most recent BLS Trigger Report here:

Trigger Notice Report

A number of new states are now below the 110% lookback trigger, CA @ 108%; NC @104%, to name two.

CA has already announced on its website it will no longer pay EB (aka Fed-Ed in CA) after May 12th.
Quote:
EDD will have to cease all FED-ED payments within a three-week period, making the week ending May 12, 2012, the last payable week of FED-ED benefits claimants can receive. That means anyone who has qualified for FED-ED benefits and who has sufficient balance on their FED-ED extension could continue to receive those last three weeks of payments, but after May 12, 2012, no benefits will be paid, even if the claimant has a remaining balance on their FED-ED
extension.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/About_Edd/pdf/nwsrel12-11.pdf
The same is now true for Colorado, NC, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania and few others. All of them are currently shown as paying EB and all of them are now below the 110% lookback trigger.

Chart posted on 4/3 shows projected trigger-off dates - all in conformance w/BLS current trigger report:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...sed-4-2012.jpg

Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM

As predicted, NC, on its website today, announces EB ends 5/12.

Thanks to Christie17, who posted this on CD UE Forum:
Quote:
State Unemployment Extension Program Set to Expire

RALEIGH — Based on recent notification from USDOL, North Carolina is no longer eligible for the Extended Benefits (EB) program.The last payable week of EB will be the week ending May 12, 2012. Workers who file their claim through the EB program will no longer be eligible to receive extended benefits once the period ends. Roughly 199,000 people are receiving benefits in North Carolina. Of those, 17,000 people are currently receiving benefits in the EB program.

http://www.ncesc1.com/PMI/News/Press...ng_Apr24_b.pdf

Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,478 times
This board seems to have quieted down quite considerably. Does not anyone else think that the EB benefits being stopped is an outrage? Personally I just had a few more weeks past the new date, but enough to make a difference. When you are unemployed, every little bit counts. Where are all the politicians now? Is there any hope of this date being extended? The only reason the unemployment rate dropped enough to cause this is because of all the ones who have already lost their benefits are no longer counted, which shows a drop in unemployment. Ha! It is a screwed up system.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Totally, it is harsh.

The new legislation was enacted in February. People are feeling its effects now, two months later. All of which had been predicted in December by students of this legislation.

There are millions unemployed. A very small number visit the various UE forums and stay current on the law. Anyone paying attention in December knew EB would end this year in all states when Congress did not change the EB lookback of three years. NELP has been reporting this along with other organizations. NELP's chart of projected EB cutoff dates, showing NC triggering off on 5/12, has been posted on the CD UE forum since February.

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_...h_full_600.jpg

There was a lot of discussion about the implications of the lookback issue on the C-D UE forum in December and again when the final legislation was in enacted in February. The draconian implications became even more apparent when the BLS issued its directive on implementation of the extra ten weeks available on Tier IV to compensate for the loss of EB. Because of the BLS Directive, the so-called EB fix is available to very few and unavailable to those who need it most - those who have been unemployed the longest. The BLS Directive on implementation of the legislation, in my opinion, is much harsher than the legislation itself, and does not comply with the intent of those who wrote the law.

I have seen no howls of outrage by the unemployed. The occasional frustrated post like yours, but many more who had no clue about what was coming.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-29-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 26,321 times
General question regarding initial unemployment claim:

When I was laid off from work, I filed for unemployment insurance. After filing, my initial claim, I received my claim profile. The profile states my benefit year start and end date along with the weekly benefit amount and UI earnings allowance that I will receive for up to 26 weeks in my benefit year. After I began filing my weekly claims and receiving benefits, I earned some income and reported that income when earned on my weekly claim. When reporting earned income, I only received a very small amount of unemployment insurance for that weeks claim. My question: When you report earned income while within your benefit year and while still receiving your 26 weeks of Unemployment Insurance, does that keep more money in the Total Possible Benefits bucket that you can claim at the end of your 26 week period during your benefit year before starting to receive Tier1 benefits?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker49 View Post
When you report earned income while within your benefit year and while still receiving your 26 weeks of Unemployment Insurance, does that keep more money in the Total Possible Benefits bucket that you can claim at the end of your 26 week period during your benefit year before starting to receive Tier1 benefits?
Yes.

I assume you saw the answer to your Tier IV Q over on the UE Forum?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,070,272 times
So my wife has a serious concern.
She was laid off June 2011 and has been collecting benefits since. This week she logged in to file a claim and saw a message stating she has 2 weeks remaining? Is this the total weeks left to collect or is there another tier? There was something about a letter being sent, which she has not received.

Does she need to file a new claim or just continue with her current claim and file weekly as usual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina