U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM

983 posts, read 3,509,973 times

Advertisements

is a new "friend" of Fayetteville on Facebook & Twitter. The Fayetteville Observer contacted this person trying to find out more about them and why they're "representing" Fayetteville and this is their response....this is a VERY accurate description of "today's" Fayetteville:

Full responses(edited) to the Fayetteville Observer for the article (thanks to Amneris Solano)

I guess you can consider me the "Spirit of Fayetteville." I am not the city, visitors bureau or anything else. I represent the city and the best it has to offer.

For too long, the spectre of "Fayettenam" has loomed over the city. Check how many groups/pages on Facebook there are or look up the number of references to Fayettenam on Twitter. I don't think I have a lot of friends/followers yet.

This is not to deny the past. "'Nam" as a reality was here during a period of time, but it is not any longer. You will see on Twitter that I ask users of the name to reject its use. Interestingly enough, I've learned that Urban Dictionary has ANY Fayette-named location as the same and that folks in Arkansas regularly refer to their city as "'Nam," without the baggage that we associate with it here. I would assume that the military spread the name.

I am especially interested in recognizing the "Heroes" of Fayetteville. Obviously, the tagline was created to associate with our military and it is well placed and deserved, but there are many others in the community that make it what it is.

Several friends/followers are surprised to find their hometown twittering and with a Facebook page. Others have taken it in stride and used my knowledge for mundane and serious information. It is most gratifying to see tidbits and nuggets that people did not know being acknowledged and then even better shared!

I try to help folks with retweets and shared information as it seems appropriate. I do try to promote events and activities that add to the quality of life as much as possible.

You ask of favorites- that is like asking a parent about their favorite child. Impossible. There is a depth and breadth to the area that is unmatched by many places. Truly, cousins such as New York are huge melting pots and yes, neighbors to the north like Raleigh do have great diversity, but I believe that the military has given such a diffuse and varied impact to all the things that are regularly taken for granted.

This is not to say that our military is not recognized nor appreciated, rather the secondary and even tertiary impacts are not considered. I am one of the most integrated cities in the country. I am one of the most diverse in terms of nationality, ethnicity, and culture. This does mean we have one terrific international folk festival, but it means on a day to day basis that people in this area must contend with all manner of differences and find ways to deal with them.

Despite all the negative issues that are associated with the conflict that arises from such differences, there are many, many positives to outweigh them.

Military come back to town now and clearly illustrate that the 'Nam they knew, does not exist anymore. It does not mean it can not get better, but the things that made 'Nam what it was no longer really exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,212,322 times
I heard about this person on the radio today. I'll have to check them out.

I think a small group of us (you and I and a few others)on C-D have represented the Fayetteville area pretty well. We just have to counterbalance the folks who are here against thier will and those with outdated information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina