U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 PM
 
30 posts, read 101,849 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has transplanted from California to N.C. If so, what do you think? I'm worried about the humidity and bugs.

I was born and raised in Kernersville, High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro area. I don't know what it is like now. I moved away in '85. My husband ,myself and 3 children(8,6&5) are seriously considering moving back there for a more family-friendly environment that is much more affordable. I truly miss the GREEN COUNTRY!! I live in the dry desert and hate it.

I can see that we aren't the only ones thinking about relocating back to N.C. That is encouraging. I have heard that Union County is a good place to live and so is Cary, N.C.

Any info on these areas and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2006, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
110 posts, read 640,469 times
Reputation: 258
As one of the many Californians migrating out of the state, I've tried the Pacific Northwest and am now in Florida. I know that NC seems to be the latest state for Californians to head for. If you want to check out one person's experience, read her blog at http://odyssey-nc.blogspot.com/.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
110 posts, read 640,469 times
Reputation: 258
Terry - I hear ya. When we left CA and arrived in OR, we couldn't believe the friendliness and sense of ease of getting around and actually running into other Christians. We knew we had entered a period of healing. Due to job transfers, we found ourselves in Ohio for a year and now in FL. We really do miss the West Coast - lack of humidity, bugs, hurricanes, etc. and not so conservative. CA is too liberal for us but this side of the country feels too conservative. Not sure if we should return to the NW or try NC? How would a moderate do in NC?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat
Terry - I hear ya. When we left CA and arrived in OR, we couldn't believe the friendliness and sense of ease of getting around and actually running into other Christians. We knew we had entered a period of healing. Due to job transfers, we found ourselves in Ohio for a year and now in FL. We really do miss the West Coast - lack of humidity, bugs, hurricanes, etc. and not so conservative. CA is too liberal for us but this side of the country feels too conservative. Not sure if we should return to the NW or try NC? How would a moderate do in NC?

Thanks for your input.
Just depends where you choose to live in NC. It is a very politically diverse state . Some parts are very liberal while other areas a very conservative. You may want to take a look at the 2004 election results by county. NC has 100 counties. My county (Henderson) in the Blue Ridge Mountains, went 65% for Bush while in Orange County it was 67% for Kerry. Statewide the vote was 56% Bush & 44% Kerry. Nationwide was 51% Bush and 44% Kerry.

Results by county

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag...ounty.000.html

Last edited by mm34b; 02-21-2006 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
110 posts, read 640,469 times
Reputation: 258
Thanks, mm34b. Will do. What a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:06 AM
 
9 posts, read 40,021 times
Reputation: 16
Think long and hard about NC,we did or so we thought, and have been living in the outskirts of SE Greensboro for 6 months, after moving from Southern California.
If more affordable housing is your only reason for moving, forget it.Taxes are higher , utilities are higher, local government is based on the good ol boy network and a shambles, school system is a mess.
Pluses are absolutely better and less frenetic road system and yes generally people are friendly, all ethnic backgrounds.
However the laid back Californian lifestyle is not evident and absolutely if you are not a church goer, then forget it.I am shocked at how churches on every street corner are run as businesses, and pervade the way everything is done here.This IS the Bible Belt and do not underestimate how that influences how all the local communities are run.If that is your background then great, but if not you may well feel excluded.
We have experienced a mild winter and so far summer has not been that humid.
We are all coming from different directions when relocating, but take advice of others, maybe rent first and then decide if NC suits your LIFESTYLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
 
95 posts, read 78,520 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEME View Post
I was born and raised in Kernersville, High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro area.
Come on home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Tarheel State
222 posts, read 849,695 times
Reputation: 83
The Triad hasn't changed too much since you've been gone. More people and traffic and houses/buildings. When they built I-40 bypass, it changed a lot of things between Peter's Creek Parkway and Jonestown Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,648,568 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewarchdale View Post
Think long and hard about NC,we did or so we thought, and have been living in the outskirts of SE Greensboro for 6 months, after moving from Southern California.
If more affordable housing is your only reason for moving, forget it.Taxes are higher , utilities are higher, local government is based on the good ol boy network and a shambles, school system is a mess.
Pluses are absolutely better and less frenetic road system and yes generally people are friendly, all ethnic backgrounds.
However the laid back Californian lifestyle is not evident and absolutely if you are not a church goer, then forget it.I am shocked at how churches on every street corner are run as businesses, and pervade the way everything is done here.This IS the Bible Belt and do not underestimate how that influences how all the local communities are run.If that is your background then great, but if not you may well feel excluded.
We have experienced a mild winter and so far summer has not been that humid.
We are all coming from different directions when relocating, but take advice of others, maybe rent first and then decide if NC suits your LIFESTYLE.


Greensboro NC is not the whole state of NC. Just like Buffalo NY is not the whole state of NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Reputation: 15493
we moved from Nortern CA to Union County (Indian trail) and thought we did ok until about 6 months in. 3000 sqft brand new house for 230k, taxes weren't horrible but the people that lived in our subdivision were. Mostly transplants from the east with the attitude to match. We sold and left but now we miss the south, specifically the central location that we were in. Don't miss the tornado warnings or the hurricanes, the bugs don't really bother us, miss the fireflys. The schools (we were told) were great but soon found out otherwise. The schools were at twice capacity, they actually lost 2 kids on a field trip to the mountains and wondered why parents were upset. I would not recommend Indian Trail but would not deter anyone from looking at other places in NC. Rent FIRST!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top