U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island change: cost of living, tax reductions, house prices

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 AM

23 posts, read 102,992 times

Advertisements

BIL and wife sold their Montauk (large, well appointed) home and relocated to the Sun City Del Webb community in Hilton Head, SC. They were shocked at How Much Cheaper everything is! Even the house insurance is a substantial savings. LI has become a zip code for the Rich and Famous as they are the only ones that can afford to buy in ... The Hamptons are lovely, I admit, but oh boy, a schlep to get there and then best to bring plenty of plastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 04:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,269,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJake
BIL and wife sold their Montauk (large, well appointed) home and relocated to the Sun City Del Webb community in Hilton Head, SC. They were shocked at How Much Cheaper everything is! Even the house insurance is a substantial savings. LI has become a zip code for the Rich and Famous as they are the only ones that can afford to buy in ... The Hamptons are lovely, I admit, but oh boy, a schlep to get there and then best to bring plenty of plastic!
This why i want to move. I will never own a house here. North Carolina was nice and even the people were. I guess they could tell i was from NY with the accent. But here on LI no one is friendly they think they are always better than you. I just have to get the guts to getup and leave. I have about1 year of college left. Then I plan on moving. I can't wait. Reading peoples posts on this board really gives me hope because i feel some of them are in the same boat that i am.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Tbltz

you are in college? take your degree to the Research Triangle. It's a great place to work and raise a family. We leave Friday to scope out the area. We will make many trips before buying anything, so this is our first attempt. We are in the 3 to 5 yr window to retire/relocate. I wish you much success. We still enjoy LI, but only for a couple of nts; then we have to leave. Oy! The traffic, the prices and OMG, what is a gallon of petrol these days???

Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 PM

414 posts, read 1,269,950 times
Quote:
you are in college? take your degree to the Research Triangle. It's a great place to work and raise a family. We leave Friday to scope out the area. We will make many trips before buying anything, so this is our first attempt. We are in the 3 to 5 yr window to retire/relocate. I wish you much success. We still enjoy LI, but only for a couple of nts; then we have to leave. Oy! The traffic, the prices and OMG, what is a gallon of petrol these days???
Yes im finishing up in a year from college. I also work in IT right now.

What excatly is the triangle?

how far away is it from charlotte?

There where I looked for a house. But I would be interested in someone else if the area is nice.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM

311 posts, read 560,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Just know that with the reduction in taxes there is often the reduction in services. They have amazing roads in NC, but that is somewhat a function of a moderate climate. My niece lives in Beaufort on the coast, and has a special needs child. We all grew up in Suburban Detroit (where we paid taxes up the wazooo), but had really strong schools etc. She has had a real problem finding services for her little boy. They have kind of had to do a lot of patchwork (thankfully her husband is a social worker). Not the kind of one-stop-shopping that you get in more highly taxed area.
Of course, those areas are eventually going to have the same problems you are facing in Long Island.
I think this is so true. No matter how much a community might "welcome" newcomers, it means more schools, more roads, more services and as a result, more taxes for the community that is here....even though the taxes you are paying here are less than what you paid in NY, MI or wherever you come from to escape those taxes. You may be putting money into the economy here, but for people on fixed income (such as my neighbors) who have no children and recently were incorporated into town with the added burden of town taxes and they feel they are too old to move somewhere away from their family. It makes it hard on people who have lived here all of their life to be "taxed" out of their home. I think many of the people who are against growth come from this age group. They see subdivisions popping up everywhere, traffic is becoming horrible, taxes are rising yearly, new people everywhere (and yes, lots of them are rude and impatient), more crime, schools are overcrowded and welfare abounds....at taxpayers expense. My heart goes out to people who are in this situation. They have lived quietly on their land, paid their dues and now that they are in their 70's, feel as though they will have to sell because taxes and service fees are rising so much. Sad.

My parents are in an entirely different situation. Their problem with "growth" is traffic. To get onto highway 42 from Neuse Colony in Clayton at certain times of day (expecially for older drivers) is getting harder...but the subdivisions are growing every day, more schools in the area.......

Old 07-13-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ

There where I looked for a house. But I would be interested in someone else if the area is nice.

Thanks
The Research Triangle refers to the Durham, Raleigh, Cary area (and I don't know what-all else). Fortune 500 companies; technology; highly educated population; higher cost of living; southern-style living. Great access via Charlotte airport. You might even wish to continue your studies at one of the great universities: Wake Forest, UNC, etc.etc. Do a google search

Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 AM

483 posts, read 1,447,757 times
Quote:
The Research Triangle refers to the Durham, Raleigh, Cary area (and I don't know what-all else). Fortune 500 companies; technology; highly educated population; higher cost of living; southern-style living. Great access via Charlotte airport. You might even wish to continue your studies at one of the great universities: Wake Forest, UNC, etc.etc. Do a google search
Did you mean Raleigh-Durham airport? Because Charlotte airport is about 2 1/2-3 hrs from Raleigh. RTP is HUGE in terms of technology and they have the big universities there (ie., Duke).

Old 07-13-2006, 09:48 AM

483 posts, read 1,447,757 times
Quote:

Thanks
Charlotte is FAR from the Raleigh area (almost 3 hrs). If you're interested in Charlotte, there are a lot of companies that deal with IT so you should have luck there as well as RTP.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,645,421 times
Quote:

Thanks
The Research Triangle of North Carolina is named for the triangle formed by the area's three major research universities: the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, Duke University in Durham, and North Carolina State University in Raleigh. The universities have a combined enrollment of more than 63,000 students; have libraries with more than twelve million volumes with interconnected catalogs; and have national prominence in a variety of disciplines. Collectively, they conduct more than $600 million in research each year.

At the center of the Triangle lies Research Triangle Park (RTP), set in 7,000 acres of North Carolina pinelands. It is located within 20 minutes of each of the Triangle universities, and five miles from Raleigh-Durham International Airport. RTP is the largest research park in the United States, and includes more than 140 organizations--corporations, government agencies, and institutes--that employ approximately 45,000 people. Organizations such as Cisco Systems Inc., Ericsson Inc., GlaxoSmithKline Inc., IBM Corp., the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Nortel Networks, the Research Triangle Institute, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conduct research and development in various areas, including biotechnology, computing, electronics, environmental science, pharmaceuticals, and telecommunications.

RTP is around 155 miles from the city of Charlotte.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,174,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
You may be putting money into the economy here, but for people on fixed income (such as my neighbors) who have no children and recently were incorporated into town with the added burden of town taxes and they feel they are too old to move somewhere away from their family. It makes it hard on people who have lived here all of their life to be "taxed" out of their home.
It may be that way for people who were early transplants to the area, too. We moved here without the large dollars from a house sale in a previous bubble market. The place we moved from had a similar cost of living to the area we moved. We've lived here almost 20 years, making a NC salary. 10 years ago we bought our current property, but looking at its market value today, we couldn't do that again. Two acres next to ours is on the market for over twice the price our ~5 acres cost 10 years ago.

Lord knows what our property taxes will be like when we hope to retire; probably to high for us to be able to configure into our budget. Heh. 10 years from now, we may be part of the early cycle of people selling their homes for an obscene price and fleeing NC for a "cheaper, less congested" area to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina