U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,953 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I am looking to relocate to NC within the next 1-2 years. I will need to find work in software development. I understand the tech triangle is an excellent place to find such a job, but I was hoping someone could be more specific in terms of areas within the triangle that would be good for me and my family to relocate to. I have 3 children(10, 6, 6) so schools are VERY important. I am currently near Orlando, FL and have been dying to get out of this state since I can remember. I hate the heat and have never gotten used to it. I very much dislike the beach except at night. I love mountains, and snow, and mountain streams, etc....I grew up camping in the Smokies several times a year for most of my life.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Demian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2006, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 27,955 times
Default Nc Bound

Just moved here myself due to job transfer from MICHIGAN>>>>

I know that my husbands company (which is small and growing) is looking for qualified people Check out there web and decide for yourself if you want to send a resume'

link removed Located in CONCORD

Good Luck in the search

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2006 at 01:37 AM..

Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM

143 posts, read 443,623 times
We're taking the plunge real soon ourselves. My wife and I are fiftyish, kids gone, moving to Burlington/Mebane area.
How are the opportunities for more hardware-oriented positions? I have been in tech support & field service for a number of years.
We can't wait to leave the rat race here in Mass. and know that we will blend right in as we've paid a few visits already :-)

Old 03-10-2006, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 77,734 times
Default Hardware techs in NC

I'm 50 ish my self. Was the Desktop Support Manager at Cisco in Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh, Durham , Chapel Hill area (about 20 min from Burlington/Mebane , pronounced like Mebin-rhymes with carbon, always better to avoid out of towner embarrassement) Lots of hardware support jobs available, check out Monster.com in RTP, NC. I know several temp agencies and head hunters looking for hardware guys.
jay

Old 03-12-2006, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,486 times
I am a tech writer, tech researcher and am looking to move to Asheville in a couple of years. Any hope of getting something in the tech field there?

Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Thanks, Jay!

Jay,

Thanks for the observations.

I am not certain if my current employer will keep me on once I move (the original plan was that they were going to), so that is good info.

Yes, my wife and I have been looking around twice -- the last time was last summer. I learned very early on about the proper pronumciation ;-) There are lots of towns up here in Mass. that trip up the "furriners" just as bad, if not worse (one of the best ones is Leicester - which an Englishman would have no problem with...).

My wife has been an office manager with a small hobby magazine, so I have noticed that there are lots of office jobs around there but she will have to hustle to find one that pays better.

It took us a long time in our lives before we decided to stick our necks out but I honestly figure that this is the perfect time to make this move.

Gotta go - work beckons...

Steve>>

Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 15,322 times
Default Relocating to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by C21Jay
I'm 50 ish my self. Was the Desktop Support Manager at Cisco in Research Triangle Park in the Raleigh, Durham , Chapel Hill area (about 20 min from Burlington/Mebane , pronounced like Mebin-rhymes with carbon, always better to avoid out of towner embarrassement) Lots of hardware support jobs available, check out Monster.com in RTP, NC. I know several temp agencies and head hunters looking for hardware guys.
jay
Hi C21Jay

I am looking to relocate NC in a couple of months and was wondering if you know of any recruiters or head hunters in the Software Quality Assurance field.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:26 PM

21 posts, read 75,194 times
2 years is a long time. What is here todau may not be here then. Or...what is here today may grow real big, making your chances better. RTP in Raleigh-Durham has the maximum oppurtunities. CHarlotte has quite a few. But the place that is growing currently is the Traid (Winston Salem- Greensboro).
Wachovia, RJR, Sara Lee, Triad Guarentee, GMAC, RMIC, BBnT all have a lot of IT positions. It is equi-distant to the coast and mountains both. Housing is still cheap.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 331,089 times
Anyone know of SAP jobs? I'm a traveling consultant but wouldn't mind living in Charlotte but driving to a position somewhere in the SC/NC area.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Well, things change...

I have been here in Mebane for almost three months and really love the city and the area. We feel that we made the right choice, that's for sure!

BUT --- my fickle company has decided to terminate me.

Anyone with decent recruiter leads in either the Triad or Durham/RTP area, I would appreciate any leads. Monster and careerbuilder are basically a waiting game after you submit your application or resume. I've been doing this for two weeks now and need to move on. My line is tech support and field service but honestly I am willing to go back to being a carpenter or handyman at this stage. In other words -- if the description says "nights and/or weekends/holidays" I skip on to the next posting. Life is now too short. It's not that I don't care (I do) it's that I have reached the point where life is more important.

On the plus side: I love the summer (yes, heat and all!), the people here are GREAT, Mebane is in a revival mode and it is still a LOT cheaper to live here than in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina