U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,196,367 times

Advertisements

Saw this in the headlines this evening...

DMV to start enforcing inspection rules - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/849124.html - broken link)

An excerpt: "Troopers stopped writing tickets for tardy inspections, and DMV stopped issuing fines. Drivers realized they could blow off the requirement with impunity."

I think there's still a lot of confusion about when to get your vehicle inspected. It was so much easier to go through the revenue generating exercise each year based on the sticker in the windshield.

Now that the state is too cheap to give us a sticker, they are seeing inspection compliance fall. Amazing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 AM

44 posts, read 229,027 times
I really don't see what the confusion is. Go to DMV website and enter in your info in the tool. It will tell you when you need your next inspection. For my car I don't need one this year but instead will get it next time my registration is renewed. My wifes car needs to be inspected as usual per the sticker and from then on at the same time as the registration is due.

I don't know why anyone would be tardy with the new system, it says right on your registration when the inspection is due.

I believe the whole idea of these inspections is just a way for the state to get some revenue. I still see junk cars driving around spewing black/blue smoke every time they take off. I don't find anything confusing about the new inspection process.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,893,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick78 View Post
I still see junk cars driving around spewing black/blue smoke every time they take off. I don't find anything confusing about the new inspection process.
And these pre 1995 vehicles will pass the safety inspection and continue to be on the road.

The new stickerless inspection system is about revenue, it has hit a serious snag in enforcement due to the utter incompetence that is so pervasive in Raleigh. DUH! must be a very common sound heard in the halls of the capital building.

But sounds like they have the bugs worked out almost a year after implementing the plan, and $250.00 fines will be mailed automatically in the future. I suspect many will also be mailed to owners of cars no longer on the road, wrecked and scrapped, sold or traded, and YOU will have to prove your innocence, at the state will have already deemed you guilty.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,196,367 times
I changed insurance carriers on my kids vehicle earlier this year to get him off my policy. Since then the state has sent me two notices of lapsed coverage and I had to prove both times that we had continual liability insurance on the vehicle. If you can't prove it, they issue a fine for the lack of coverage.

Had to laugh... the first notice said that Geico informed the state that we are no longer their customer. Well, I never had a policy with Geico in my life! I've been in "good hands" since I started driving years ago. My DS is now with GMAC. Ahhh yes, the government has no idea of reality; they just want a piece of the $$$.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM

11,813 posts, read 21,381,718 times
It's funny, there are so many out of state plates here in NC and they have to wonder why. Mostly because it's a PITA to get your plates and other states require a flat, low, yearly fee to register your cars and that's it. It just makes sense to keep your cars registered there.

Safety inspections are nothing except a revenue source. I like FL, $35/yr to register your car and no property tax or inspections.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I changed insurance carriers on my kids vehicle earlier this year to get him off my policy. Since then the state has sent me two notices of lapsed coverage and I had to prove both times that we had continual liability insurance on the vehicle. If you can't prove it, they issue a fine for the lack of coverage.

Had to laugh... the first notice said that Geico informed the state that we are no longer their customer. Well, I never had a policy with Geico in my life! I've been in "good hands" since I started driving years ago. My DS is now with GMAC. Ahhh yes, the government has no idea of reality; they just want a piece of the $$$.
I suspect that many people that change insurance carriers go through the same thing, I have. Big nasty note from the DMV, stating that plates must be turned in the day before the notice came, and a $50 fine, then another $50 fee to get new plates. Incompetency thrives in Raleigh

Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,853,830 times
I got my car inspected when my sticker ran out and then went to get my sticker for my license plate.(they were the same month) I noticed that there was a different date on my registration, I don't remember what it was-it's in the car. So, did I get my car inspected for nothing?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I got my car inspected when my sticker ran out and then went to get my sticker for my license plate.(they were the same month) I noticed that there was a different date on my registration, I don't remember what it was-it's in the car. So, did I get my car inspected for nothing?
Very possibly, I have one vehicle that the tag and the inspection both expired in June. I renewed the tag online, and noted that the registration said next inspection was due June 2010. So I got out my handy dandy scrapper and scrapped the old sticker off

Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM

924 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Oh well, I guess at least I know that it is good to go. LOL

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 AM

44 posts, read 229,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's funny, there are so many out of state plates here in NC and they have to wonder why. Mostly because it's a PITA to get your plates and other states require a flat, low, yearly fee to register your cars and that's it. It just makes sense to keep your cars registered there.

Safety inspections are nothing except a revenue source. I like FL, $35/yr to register your car and no property tax or inspections.
Guess I am in the minority. I never found it to be a PITA to do any of it here. Don't like a lot of the way things are done but it is pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina