U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM

306 posts, read 1,198,144 times

Advertisements

Littering/illegal dumping of waste is not simply aesthetically displeasing and environmentally damaging it is also very expensive. North Carolinians pay over $100 million per year for cleanup and insurance repairs according to the Wake County website.

The NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources has an informative page on the illegal dumping of waste in this state. This site includes information on how to report individuals guilty of this crime. http://wastenot.enr.state.nc.us/SWHOME/IllegalDumpinginNC.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM

238 posts, read 495,076 times
Wow, that's horrible. I hadn't noticed. In Florida there were also tons of no littering signs...but there was still trash on the highways.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 AM

823 posts, read 3,605,559 times
The NY Times has an article about roadside litter and accidents, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/us/11debris.html?hp.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
I am not denying that there is areas with problems but when this thread was created we was still dealing with the late winter and those jump suits do not protect the inmates that well so the cleanup from the winter litter bugs doesnt usually begin until the spring I have seen alot of orange bags along highway so I think at least in some counties they are on top of it.

Illegal dumping usually happens in the rural counties or parts of a county that doesnt have regular trash pick up service. (typically mountain counties have the issues due to also limited amount of recycle centers in those areas.

I just hope people would just do better and respect the beauty of this state because relying on law enforcement to handle this problem effects their ability to be focus on other more important crime issues that maybe be about.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 AM

306 posts, read 1,198,144 times
Thankfully North Carolina is still a beautiful state. We are no where near the 'Idiocracy' level of trash; but trash begets more trash. It is a problem better addressed than ignored. Do not be dissuaded from reporting the illegal dumping of waste. The authorities want to know (though they will give priority to investigating violent criminal acts).

Also, "Tourism has grown into one of the state’s largest industries. Annually, over 45 million people visit North Carolina and leave behind more than $14 billion. As many visitors have discovered, tourism helps make North Carolina, A Better Place to Be!" http://www.nccommerce.com/tourism/. Unspoilt beauty is an asset worth protecting.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM

179 posts, read 643,079 times
Not trying to steal your thread but before the signs for no littering how about one that says - "slower traffic keep right".

Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,101,653 times
Here in Georgia when I go out in the morning to pick up the newspaper on the driveway I carry a plastic sack so I can get the foam cups and food trays, empty cigarette packs, and other bits of flotsam and jetsam that has been thrown out of cars during the night. Just part of modern living, I believe....

Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM

157 posts, read 567,955 times
Default Litter awareness! Let people know!

I've come to a point where the next person I see littering, I am going to go out of my way to let them know how much of an a***ole they are...I was behind this woman on a red light when I see this plastic soda bottle come out the window...The bottle was one of those mini ones that are like 8 ounces or something...I was so pissed but was not sure if they did that on purpose...I just never seen that before...So we start driving and immediately after taking a left on the red light, two houses down, she goes into a driveway!! I was furious and slowed down to yell at her but then realized she was an older lady and there were cars behind me so I ended up not saying anything...I thought about going back to her house and emptying my full bag of trash right on her front lawn and leaving a note on her car saying it's okay to place trash on her property if she can place trash on public property. After that, I made it a point to let the next person know as I have picked up trash from my yard several times since the incident and can't wait to see the next person littering just to let out my frustrations over this dumb habit. SInce North Carolina isn't doing much to stop littering as far as signs, billboards, commercials to remind people, I think the people should! I am asking you to let people know not to litter the next time you see someone littering...At least make a smart remark towards them just enough to embarass them...

Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,192,921 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_America_Beautiful

Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 PM

378 posts, read 1,101,653 times
Elnene2k... You mustn't be too confrontational in a car. That "little old lady" coulda been packin' heat!

Seriously, be careful, though I know just how you felt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina