U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 AM

12 posts, read 29,692 times

Advertisements

I am considering a visit for potential relocation to the Pinehurst, NC area.
I notice on Zillow that there are a lot of homes for sale/sold in the past year.
Is this normal or should I be concerned that something is going on, causing people to move out?

Would like to know before I make the long car trip from Pennsylvania, so it would save me a lot of time if someone could help.

thanks so much
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,221,098 times
I recently talked to an agent from that area. It seems the high end properties are just sitting on the market. The normal influx of yankees has slowed because they can't sell thier homes up north. You might be able to find a deal if somebody HAS to sell. Prices are not really dropping though.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Question is about high volume of homes on markeet

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't address my question. I wasn't asking about looking for a deal. I am wondering why so many houses are on the market/have been sold - are people trying to move OUT of the area for some reason?
N.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM

59 posts, read 210,648 times
I live in this area. People are not leaving but coming. With the economy it is a hard sell and so you see a lot of homes on the market and more being added as people normally move. I have seen some gorgeous homes for sale in this area and just bought mine a month ago.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,527,571 times
Pinehurst is a resort town, and may have a lot of "2nd homes" people are trying to get rid of. However if you look at the overall price trends here, values of property still have a positive growth, though sale volumes are way down. People would rather sit here at a certain price then reduce, because in the long run, Pinehurst is good place to have property. Just wait until 2014.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 AM

Thank you - that makes a lot of sense. May have brain fog , but what is the reference to 2014?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,527,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Woof View Post
Thank you - that makes a lot of sense. May have brain fog , but what is the reference to 2014?
Back to back US Men and Women's Open @ Pinehurst #2.

That happens..well...almost never. It is going to be a mad house here, and bring a ton of exposure to this area again for people looking to retire (baby boombers) who see the 40 golf courses out here among a town of 12000/ "micropolitian" area of 45000 or so. That event will bring in a ton of money and publicity.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Woof View Post
I think he meant that by 2014 the economy and real estate market will have bounced back and anyone owning nice property in Pinehurst will be really glad they do

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Back to back US Men and Women's Open @ Pinehurst #2.

That happens..well...almost never. It is going to be a mad house here, and bring a ton of exposure to this area again for people looking to retire (baby boombers) who see the 40 golf courses out here among a town of 12000/ "micropolitian" area of 45000 or so. That event will bring in a ton of money and publicity.
Thank you - Maabus1999 - your answers have been extremely helpful - thanks to your help, I'm now planning a visit in August. Seems to have everything I'm looking for - small town feel with walkable main street, 4 seasons with mild winters, surrounding outdoor activities. Best of all - I just read that Southern Pines has an off leash dog park! I'll post back after I visit and thank you again.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 PM

3,004 posts, read 4,219,271 times
I know Pinehurst is popular for retirement - how is it for families? Are the schools decent? Sure would be nice to live near all those golf courses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina