Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,630,630 times

Advertisements

I too am from FL-Ft. Lauderdale. Correct on insurance -the house and cars being cheaper here.

Food we find is about the same and of course coupons help.

Where we live the tax we pay on our house is really cheap compared to FL.

And gas is cheaper for us than FL-both kids still live there and we compare. But we can go to Orange county right next to us and depending where, we could pay 10 or 15 cents more for gas. I do get whiplash driving around watching the prices go up sometimes twice a day depending on what street I am on just in my area.

So a lot depends on the city and county you live in and what their taxes are.

Our decisions were made three years ago before everything went to heck but always plan that somehow "they" will always find a way to raise taxes.

And as AshevilleNative said, Raleigh is still working on ways to get us all since they still don't have a budget worked out. I just can't wait to see what they come up with in the final budget.

We checked everything before we moved and when we decided on this area, checked out the tax base in our city and county.

Our county is also not experiecing that great of a shortfall in revenue. Of course now that I said that, it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Becky-This is the way I see it coming from FL. But the killer is: taxes on income. It's unbelievable.

<snip>

Do a lot of research before you think of coming here. The bf and I are considering getting out and we've only lived here a year due to the amount of money being taken out of his paycheck.
That's because NC has state income tax and FL does not. I'm not sure you would really need to do a lot of research to figure that one out. I mean, seriously. Everything else is either a wash or slightly ahead in favor of NC.

In the end, you pay the piper either way. For example TX is known as a cheap place to live with no income taxes but their property taxes are insanely high. Same w/ NH.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM

That's it exactly. They get you coming, going and in the middle no matter where you live.

We were talking about this earlier. For many years athletes moved to or had their main address in Florida so they wouldn't have to pay income tax on their salaries. I can't recall what exactly happened (pretty much because I don't remember much) but I believe some states passed laws that if you make it here you pay it here. I might try and look that one up. A lot of guys were upset. The rest of us poor people laughed.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,904,192 times
So is it pretty much the income tax where they get you?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,118,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
So is it pretty much the income tax where they get you?
I'm paying 8% on top of the other withholding - federal income tax, social security, etc.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM

You do pay the income tax but as I said a lot depends on the local taxes too. We are semi-retired. Both work part time jobs. And that is something we couldn't do in Florida. We could not have afforded to live like that there. Over all it is much cheaper for us even with the income tax and vehicle inspection et al. We save on the homeowner's insurance, car insurance and where we are, taxes.

It's hard but it just comes down to doing research.

Tennessee and South Carolina don't have income tax and both have beautiful places to live. It all depends on your needs and wants.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
We did our research on everything. But we weren't aware that we had to pay taxes on our vehicles! Just because we have brand new higher end vehicles and a new HD, we are taxed $450 per vehicle and on the bike. That's ridiculous!!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We did our research on everything. But we weren't aware that we had to pay taxes on our vehicles! Just because we have brand new higher end vehicles and a new HD, we are taxed $450 per vehicle and on the bike. That's ridiculous!!
Property tax is billed on every vehicle, every year. How much the actual bill is, depends on where you live. You will pay County Tax, City/Municipal Tax, School District tax, Fire district tax, Sewer district tax, if these apply to the address on your registration. The value you are taxed on compares to the Kelly Blue Book or similar publication estimated value of your vehicles.

Ridiculous, no, remember this is NC, the state that has never seen a tax, fee, or fine they did not embrace. They will nickle and dime you to death here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina