Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 18,291 times

Advertisements

We are from Grand Rapids, MI. It was our ideal place. Medium sized, great downtown where you can walk around safely, lots to do, and a great place to raise a family.

Recently my company merged with another after I received a promotion and relocation to Lansing, MI. I have a district assignment there, but it may or may not be 100% stable due to the merger.

North Carolina is the largest market in the country for my company. I was originally applying for a Raleigh position, but have been offered Fayetteville.

This would be a more stable opportunity for my wife and I, and a good career opportunity, given it is the largest region.
I should mention my wife is an esthetician (facials, massage, waxing, salon type stuff) for Aveda.

However, reading up on the Fayetteville area, I am concerned.

My district will probably be Fayetteville, around Fort Bragg, and potentially as far east as Jacksonville, NC.

Please help! I have today and tomorrow to decide if we will take it.
Should I take the job? Where should we look for a house?

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
Fayetteville is actually a pretty stable market right now, mainly due to the base. So jobs (for your wife) might be easier to find than in other locations in NC.
There is a LOT of bad stuff on here about Fayetteville, and sure, there are some not great things about Fayetteville. However, there is a lot of good there too, there are some great parks and rec areas, with nice walking/bike trails. There are some very good schools there, but you need to concentrate in some specific areas. Concentrate on Jack Britt school district, or Terry Sanford if you have a lot more money to spend--they are the best High schools in the county, and most, though not all of the elementary schools that lead into them are great as well. You didn't say if you had children or what their ages were, but even if you don't have children these are still areas you would like to be in. Other good areas, by high school, are Cape Fear, Grays Creek, and Southview.
Can't answer if you should take the job, that's for you to figure out! Fayetteville is not nearly as bad as some people on here make it out to be. And keep in mind you're only about 2 hrs from Charlotte, a little less for Raleigh/Durham, and 2.5 hrs to Myrtle Beach, SC., so that opens up a lot of opportunty for weekends, shopping (not much in Fayetteville for the wife if she likes shopping, malls etc)

Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 18,291 times
Thank you for the feedback joanchris2000! it definitely helps. No kids yet, but we would like to set up shop and start a family

Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
Joanchris covered everything I would say too. Fayetteville did have the highest rate of appreciation in housing of any city in the US last year. This year will probably be better. My best advice is give it a try! It will be an adventure!

Here are a couple of good websites.

Check out the relocation info
Fayetteville Wants YOU

NC School Report Cards. Search for Cumberland County
NC School Report Cards

Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 27,540 times
I'm not military and moved to Fayetteville - Hope Mills actually and absolutely LOVE IT. Please check out some of the cool things going on here. www.VisitFayettevilleNC.com

Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 19,287 times
My wife and I with our two son's just moved here from San Diego, CA and we love it and the people! We found a great log cabin on two acres in the country of Fayetteville and the people make it worth the move. The other county's have malls and big stores if you need or want to go to them. You have some trouble spots but no one goes there to watch what happens, they avoid them as with any big or small trouble area! Our boys like it and we think it was a good move as well. It has all that a family would need. We will be your first friends and make it work. I'm Luke and my wife is Martha; welcome outsider to NC! Come on down and stay awhile, Luke

P.S. Take the jump and do it quickly before it moves on and you have no choice!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callicleez View Post
Medium sized, great downtown
fayetteville does not have either of the two.

Quote:
North Carolina is the largest market in the country for my company. I was originally applying for a Raleigh position, but have been offered Fayetteville.
raleigh over fayetteville, EASILY. hold out for the raleigh position. don't let these ppl sell you short.

Quote:
However, reading up on the Fayetteville area, I am concerned.
why are you concerned? you should be, to be honest.

IMHO, fayetteville isn't terrible as far as crime. you're not likely to get robbed and shot and all of that. its just incredible...well...

i don't know how grand rapids is, but fayetteville is the country. honestly. i hope nobody gets offended by that. if thats what you are looking for then it'll work for you. if you're looking for what you said in the first part of your post then hold out for raleigh.

look, i'ma be real with you. these other ppl will sell you on something that may be a huge mistake. either tell the company that you need more time to decide and take a trip there and see for yourself or decline.

fayetteville is...just...eh.

this is my opinion and i'm sure there will be about 43243 ppl that post after me that will mention all types of activities that you can do in fayetteville .

Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
What did you decide?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM

59 posts, read 236,596 times
Even if he were to take the job in Fayetteville it doesn't mean they have to LIVE in Fayetteville. There are plenty of small towns just outside the city that are great.

What did you decide on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina