Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times

Advertisements

As reported by the Charlotte Business Journal:

N.C. ranks 44th in public-school spending

Charlotte Business Journal
North Carolina public schools are near the bottom of the list when it comes to the amount of money spent per student, according to a report by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The state placed 44th in the report, which ranked the 50 states and the District of Columbia by the amount of money public schools spent per pupil during the 2006-07 school year

According to the report, public schools in North Carolina spent an average of $7,883 per pupil during the fiscal 2007 school year. That’s nearly $2,000 below the national average of $9,666.
Northern states and the District of Columbia reported the highest spending rates. Seven of the top 10 states were from the region. New York came in first with average spending per pupil of $15,981. New Jersey and Washington, D.C., rounded out the top three, ranking second and third, respectively.
Virginia and Georgia placed highest in the South, ranking 17th and 25th, respectively. South Carolina placed 34th, at $8,533. Mississippi (46th) and Tennessee (49th) were the only Southeastern states to rank below North Carolina.
Utah took last place on the list at $5,683.

I realize that many states spend more for reasons that don't directly impact students, but this can't be spun in a positive light for North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Well, it still must have been too much since we are having to cut out programs/teachers/staff to meet the budget.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,634 times
When I lived in CT where schools were run by each town, vs county here, there was always debate on school budgets. There were always statistics in the paper on which towns spent more etc, and there were usually comparisons on achievement. Some of the towns that spent less (not all, of course) did have better achievement levels, it can be done (sorry, no time to find references) with less money. A lot of what is spent is not spent wisely. It's certainly easier to spend more and get good results, but good programs will get good results even if the textbooks aren't new.....
My older daughter repeated 6th grade last year (special needs combined with missing 83 days of school due to illness the previous year). She came home with a brand new social studies textbook her 2nd time around.....the old one, which we still had (for review over summer) was almost identical, and was not overly worn. Sixth grade social studies, what could have changed that would warrant brand new textbooks? If you combine spending less with what I would consider "stupid" spending, THAT will result in poorer education.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
When I lived in CT where schools were run by each town, vs county here, there was always debate on school budgets. There were always statistics in the paper on which towns spent more etc, and there were usually comparisons on achievement. Some of the towns that spent less (not all, of course) did have better achievement levels, it can be done (sorry, no time to find references) with less money. A lot of what is spent is not spent wisely. It's certainly easier to spend more and get good results, but good programs will get good results even if the textbooks aren't new.....
My older daughter repeated 6th grade last year (special needs combined with missing 83 days of school due to illness the previous year). She came home with a brand new social studies textbook her 2nd time around.....the old one, which we still had (for review over summer) was almost identical, and was not overly worn. Sixth grade social studies, what could have changed that would warrant brand new textbooks? If you combine spending less with what I would consider "stupid" spending, THAT will result in poorer education.
Everything in your post makes total sense. I think there is a lot of waste in how things are funded and how money is spent in most school systems. In fact, in bureaucracies, in general. The larger the system, the more likely there will be waste. You would think there would be economies of scale put into place but that is not what I see happening.

Good points, Joan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina