Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,902,314 times

Advertisements

Our electric rates, my home is between 2000-2500 dq feet. I do not have central AC and have only been running my ac unit now since mid june. I am billed every two months and my bill for 64 days of use is almost $700 )that is $350 a month) .... between taxes and lipa, how much more can the ultities and goverment bleed us. Now in sept after using ac for the next two mos, I anticpate that bill will be close to $1000 (yes that is not a typo-one thousand dollars)

Now when winter comes, this wil drop to about $275-300 a month but then since I have oil, that goes for about $400 -

So to all wondering why we here are on LI are looking to leave....this should be reason -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM

293 posts, read 956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Our electric rates, my home is between 2000-2500 dq feet. I do not have central AC and have only been running my ac unit now since mid june. I am billed every two months and my bill for 64 days of use is almost $700 )that is $350 a month) .... between taxes and lipa, how much more can the ultities and goverment bleed us. Now in sept after using ac for the next two mos, I anticpate that bill will be close to $1000 (yes that is not a typo-one thousand dollars)

Now when winter comes, this wil drop to about $275-300 a month but then since I have oil, that goes for about $400 -

So to all wondering why we here are on LI are looking to leave....this should be reason -
You took the words right out of my mouth! I don't know how the utility bills are in NC, but they can't be as bad as here in LI. What's up with that "fuel price adjustment" on the LIPA bill?? $66.00 a month-for what??

Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,902,314 times
they changed the billing now, and it is not called that, my bill without their little adjustment is reasonable at $350, the adjustment is more $355.-

Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,544,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
You took the words right out of my mouth! I don't know how the utility bills are in NC, but they can't be as bad as here in LI. What's up with that "fuel price adjustment" on the LIPA bill?? $66.00 a month-for what??
This is probably an anomaly, but when I had a 700 sq foot apartment in Charlotte, my power bill was $45 a month in the winter, around $35 in the spring. I'm still not sure how that happened. The apartment DID have a lot of windows, but still...

If you have good weather, and have a few appliances run on gas rather than electricity, you can have a very low power bill here in NC...much lower than the $355 bill in the last post.

Of course, gas prices are on the way up, so that's gotta be taken into account as well...

Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,264,823 times
Where I live, we (my husband & I) pay an average of about $100-125+ a month for electric in the summer, about $125-150+ in the winter, and about $65-75 a month in the spring and fall. We don't have gas or oil heat, so I can't help there.

By the way, our home is kind of new (built in 1998) and is around 1300 square feet.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM

954 posts, read 4,371,881 times
The place for real cheap utilities is Tennessee. The TVA really drives down their costs - They say Mass.,is cheap also, because of the Atomic power.
My power bills actually went up when i moved from TN to NC. Since I've been in NYC it has been a mixed bag. I guess about 180 month average in our Apt. We had one killer AC bill in our last apt., but I think they charged us for former tenants delinquent bills. I mean in one month our bill went from 175 to 375. Everyone in the building had that kind of jump, but nothing could ever be proved.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:34 PM

693 posts, read 2,757,807 times
Electric bills of $300-$400 or more are common in the Northeast. It's even worse in California, where they charge you a variable rate depending on the usage, so if you happen to use a little more in a month and falls in the next rate your bill will be huge. I am *thrilled* that my new home in NC will have gas heat/ac!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:59 PM

212 posts, read 921,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Electric bills of $300-$400 or more are common in the Northeast. It's even worse in California, where they charge you a variable rate depending on the usage, so if you happen to use a little more in a month and falls in the next rate your bill will be huge. I am *thrilled* that my new home in NC will have gas heat/ac!
Grass is Greener..does this mean that gas is less expensive than electric in NC? That is something for me to keep in mine if so. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,530,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
They pull that variable rate scam here with some non-residential buildings here in MA too. At my church we did an analysis of our utilties, the electric being one of them, a couple years ago. We found out if we turned all the sanctuary lights off or on *at the same time* (causing a significant current draw) we got billed at that current draw rate for the remainder of the month! We saved money by turning the lights off, one at a time (a gradual current draw). It's totally ridicoulous!!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,824,274 times
I live in Apex, NC, and our utilities are pretty high. I live in a 2000 sq ft house and our average electric bill in the summer is over $300 a month, same for gas when heating in the winter Our water bill is never less than $100 a month. Between gas, electric, and water we average about $500 a month.

I wouldn't assume utilities are cheaper here....I know things like water are more expensive because Apex buys its water from the town of Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina