Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,898,826 times

Advertisements

With each new post, it appears everyone is leaving somewhere whether it be NY, CA, FL, AZ, etc due to the high costs, these costs appear to be everywhere and all the growth is moving to NC...again I will re state even with costs going up in NC, it is still cheaper then where I am BUT, what is going to happen over the next 3-5 years.

A lot of companies are moving but it appears more people then jobs and jobs are being created but are too many moving too soon to keep up with it?

Employment is the area has been good but what does everyone feel the future will hold?

Even with new homes and tax base increasing, can the area keep up with all this in terms of dollars down the road?

Any thoughts by anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,390,546 times
Well due to the lack of smart sustainable growth, and the areas converting every piece of old farm land or forest into sprawling subdivisions & strip malls, we'll see two issues: 1) more traffic congestion than even now and 2) we'll run out of land to bulldoze and build on.

If, however, the counties and cities start getting smart about all this growth...building UP instead of OUT, then maybe it won't be so bad. One could hope.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
Based on U.S. Census Bureau projections, only around 15 of NC's 100 counties are expected to show unusual growth through the year 2030.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM

954 posts, read 4,367,286 times
North Carolina will end up like Florida. Funny, I have relatives that left NC 25 years ago to move to Florida for opportunity and low costs and milder weather (they were from Western NC). Now the migration is in reverse.
Everyone on these forums should read David Brooks book, On Paradise Drive. It is a fascinating study of why we Americans are so mobile and have such a penchant for looking for the next ideal place to live. Seriously, it makes you think.
My suspicion is that the small towns kind of off the beaten path will not change all that much. However, the area where developers are dumping money and the state is investing in infrastructure will become more and more congested and more expensive. Then everybody will move to Tennessee. After they ruin Tennessee, then on to Arkansas and then to Mississippi. Finally, after all the poor folks leave New Orleans, the Government will raise the entire 9th ward, and turn it into a gated community.........

Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 AM

23 posts, read 111,011 times
we are considering a relocation to NC from MD because we want to live a more active lifestyle "with services". Cost is cost, no matter where ya go! Paid $3.05 my last petrol fill up and enjoy tax free shopping in nearby DE. Our "why" NC is a consideration is because the NC winter weather is milder - when it does snow or ice, it's gone by noon; whereas in MD it sticks around very many days! It's great up here, but the ol house is just too big for we two + 1 lazy cat. We've got to downsize; might as well go where like-minded folks are going: Carolina Preserve in Amberly.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM

People have been relocating all over for many years

...if it is something you never looked into, you would not see that, as more and more look into leaving where ever they area, it becomes more apparent...

I think due to our economy and high costs in many areas, it is seen more now the never..

Someone told me ( I do not know the truth or fact to this) that the biggest change in NC growth is the Floridians coming there. People over time have moved into NC, but rare to see someone coming from Florida...

Whether it is costs ther enow too, or the hurricane issues, I really do not know...but I still know many people going to FLorida so to try and figure all this out, I do not think it is possible ...

MI may be another big spot in years to come as they have an economic depression there due to the auto industry and healtcare (friend of mine just left to go to MN due to this) - Noted yesterday, Google is putting something htere and many companies follow Google...

I guess we can debate this issue for hours

Old 07-12-2006, 11:33 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,840,091 times
At the end of the day the people posting here about moving from somewhere else to North Carolina are such a minescule portion of the overall population as to not even be a statistic. That said, MOST people end up somewhere for one of a very few reasons: they were born there or they move for a job. The remainder of people moving may then fall in to the category of the posters here on this board who move for economic or lifestyle reasons. As our country's population continues to grow (in large part due to immigration) just about every community in the country will experience growth.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
At the end of the day the people posting here about moving from somewhere else to North Carolina are such a minescule portion of the overall population as to not even be a statistic. That said, MOST people end up somewhere for one of a very few reasons: they were born there or they move for a job. The remainder of people moving may then fall in to the category of the posters here on this board who move for economic or lifestyle reasons. As our country's population continues to grow (in large part due to immigration) just about every community in the country will experience growth.
I agree with you in that respect growth in many areas are cylical like anything else, people follow jobs...Like the MI example, they are trying to bring more people to that state by offering tax incentives, the same thing is going on in NC and even NY governor race, revitalizing our area is on the agenda...Many people, no matter what, will just stay where they are. and many will move

..Generally speaking when the economy takes a rise or fall, the entire nation is usually effected in someway (good and bad) when jobs fell due to 911 and tech boom, many other areas felt the impact too and each area has it's own ups and downs... The reasons people move or stay or so varied amongst each one of us and I guess that is why America is America, with our diversity and freedoms. ( I do not see many leaving the USA!!)

Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM

23 posts, read 111,011 times
I've traveled the world and am always/all ways happy to set my feet back on USA soil Our relocation dreams are for a lifestyle change due to retirement. We need to downsize our home, but oh boy, it's gonna cost more for less if we go to Carolina Preserve. I think the area is going to be ideal; it's the higher cost for housing that has me taking a deep breath (and losing the zero state sales tax of DE)

Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 PM

954 posts, read 4,367,286 times
A friend of mine I met while living in NC had an interesting experience with one of these planned communities. He grew up in a big family in Eastern NC. He became a Ford executive and lived literally from one end of the country to the other. After he finally retired (last place he lived while working was Southern Cal.), he moved back home to Eastern NC to be near his brothers and sisters. After about two years (miserable the whole time), he and his wife moved to a planned community with everything (outside of Phoenix). They stayed about 4 years, but eventually moved back near family. All the amenities just didn't satisfy when his kids were both in other states and all his family as well. He is back in Eastern NC near most of his siblings, sweating it out, but much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina