U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
With a year of unemployment you could speak a few languages fluently I bet....

Times are tough. Sometimes the best option is to pack up and move. That is what I will be doing.
WHAT???? With a year of unemployment you could speak another language? What have you been smoking?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I hate to sound mean, but 92 weeks is 86 weeks more than what it took to get my CDL. Heck, my wife became a LPN in under 92 weeks. I am sorry, but I can't understand why (or how) anyone can be unemployed for 92 freaking weeks. Sorry, but I don't buy it. After 2 weeks of being unemployed, I am either moving to a different area (with more jobs in my field) or getting retrained to do something else. Plain and simple.
How long was your wife on the waiting list for nursing school and was she already an NA? Not everyone is able to "pick up and move". What if your spouse isn't able to find employment in the area you want to move? It's nice that it worked for you but it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM

171 posts, read 211,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
WHAT???? With a year of unemployment you could speak another language? What have you been smoking?

You can, if it is a language somewhat close to a language you know:
italian-french(70%), spanish-portuguese, italian-spanish,etc

Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,192,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
How long was your wife on the waiting list for nursing school and was she already an NA? Not everyone is able to "pick up and move". What if your spouse isn't able to find employment in the area you want to move? It's nice that it worked for you but it doesn't work that way for everyone.
I agree. Not everyone can pick up and move and not everyone can change careers just like that. And since some, depending on their jobs, can make more on unemployment than taking other jobs what's the point? My niece's husband is a carpenter. He get's $500.00 per unemployment check. He has searched and applied at multiple places for jobs including fast food and retail. Never got one of them but personally considering the big drop in pay he would take from the unemployment check I would hope he wouldn't get one. But he is trying as are thousands of other people. And yes he is considering taking courses in another area to broaden his options. But they have two small kids to worry about. My niece works at a retail store at night because they can't afford day care and he is job hunting every day.

It's a sad situation for so many people these days. And the majority of them are trying to do whatever they can. Because let's face it, the unemployment will run out. Then what is going to happen to all these people?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM

171 posts, read 211,716 times
"can't afford to work " thread shut down. This one had a similar slant...anybody left with anything to add? I liked the youtube songs "shanana" etc

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,666,665 times
Troll says, "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..."

I say, "YAWN..."

Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,192,477 times
Funny how this one came back after the other was shut down.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 PM

716 posts, read 1,358,010 times
Maybe the person who brought it back should get a time out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina