Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 AM

218 posts, read 1,462,763 times

Advertisements

Found a snake in my house last night. Live in eastern NC. Can anyone tell me what kind.... i was hoping it was a garter.... but no stripe.....
Closest i can find is a pine snake, but not sure if i'm right. Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Snake pic.. Can anyone tell me what kind?-snake.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
Looks like a baby rat snake....not venomous.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Thank you, looked up a pic, looks a little darker then this 1, but the pattern is the same. Makes sense, I know I have mice, old house off of large crop fields, can't win the battle. Boy I can't wait until my new place is built!!
Its beautiful and peaceful here..... but there is always something, I have seen some of the BIGGEST spiders I have ever seen living here, and now snakes..... yeah.
Glad its not venomous, but is of the constrictor family and I have a 4 year old.... not so cool!
(I also have 2 KILLER :-) jack russells in the house who dont particularly appreciate slithering or scampering visitors)

Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 AM

There is NO native snake that will pose a threat to your child, unless it's venomous! That snake is more afraid of you and your child than you are of it! Stay calm! You aren't dealing with a 20 foot Burmese Python!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
Glad its not venomous, but is of the constrictor family and I have a 4 year old.... not so cool!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Good to know and I wasnt really worried, especially at the size of this 1, he was little. but found it interesting it was a constrictor type. I had just read news recently where a pet python (I think) killed the baby in the house trying to keep warm. So I do think of it.
but my 4 year old, let me tell you, would wake the whole house plus, if something crawled up next to him!(and before others tell me..... I did remain calm for my childs sake, but also I have 4 brothers and growing up..... lets just say there were many snakes around) I dont like them but they dont "freak" me out either.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 PM

8 posts, read 51,698 times
First let me say this, i am no snake expert, and you cant tell difinitavly what kind of snake it is in a picture.

But, from pictures and from experiance, it looks like a copperhead. One reason i say that is it is a very common snake in NC, along with a cottonmouth, which looks similar. Another thing is if you look at the head, it is more of a dimond shape, which is a characteristic of poisonous snakes. Also, if you look up pictures of a copperhead, you can tell by the pattern and color of the skin.

Like i said, im no expert and its hard to really tell through a picture, instead of inperson. Just from experiance of seeing and dealing with those types of snakes tells me thats what it is, but i could be completly wrong.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM

It's NOT a copperhead, and really doesn't look like one. But to some people, including many of my customers, even an earthworm or millipede looks like a copperhead! LOL

For a good picture of the pattern on a copperhead, look at the "Charlotte" forum at my posts on "King Snakes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshdr07 View Post
But, from pictures and from experiance, it looks like a copperhead.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:47 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,360 times
If you click that photo, you will see that it is a red rat snake, aka "corn snake." It has redish coloration, but there its resemblance to a copperhead stops.

Yes, it IS a constrictor, NO it is never going to get big enough to be a threat to your four year old. Or even a two year old.

My first pet snake was a corn snake like that one. Corns make good pets because they generally have a gentle disposition and don't require a lot of specialized habitat or husbandry. They have been bred for all kinds of "designer" color variations. Breeder Kathy Love has made a good living creating these variations. http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Uto...wer%20shot.jpg

Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
How about this one? I've found 3 of these in the last 12 months. One was sun bathing on my driveway!
Attached Thumbnails
Snake pic.. Can anyone tell me what kind?-p1010734.jpg  

Old 08-15-2009, 05:12 AM

[quote=bugguy;10236229]It's NOT a copperhead, and really doesn't look like one. But to some people, including many of my customers, even an earthworm or millipede looks like a copperhead! LOL

I find this statement funny, as i am 1 of those people. Ok maybe not with earthworms or millipedes but I really dont get how people look at a copperhead and say it is because of its head. to ME, MOST snakes look like they have a Diamond shape head, and im not getting close enough to see if it has a copper color ontop of its head, so i'm usless when it comes to identifying. Have to take pic and look and read, look and reread, and almost every different article i read on rat snakes say how often they are mistaken for copperheads. So thanks for the help bugguy.

All I really know is they are not a welcome guest in my house and my jacks dont like them either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina