Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,564 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to North Carolina and are very interested in areas with good schools. We have two boys who are currently in Kindergarten and Third. Can anyone shed some really life experience on this subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM

79 posts, read 178,254 times
I would propose one of these: Charlotte,Winston-Salem, or Raleigh.
Good Luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysalldone View Post
We are thinking of relocating to North Carolina and are very interested in areas with good schools. We have two boys who are currently in Kindergarten and Third. Can anyone shed some really life experience on this subject
Your questions is a bit broad.

Where will your job be?

What do you like to do? What are you looking for?

I am sure there is an area that will fit your bill...but there is not just ONE area.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Yes, I guess that is a bit broad. We like the easy access to the city but don't want to live right in it. We were thinking somewhere close to the Raleigh-Durham area. Close enough to drive to the coast within a couple hours. I have a friend moving to Cary but not sure if that is the place for us. I am trying to collect some information on towns that I may have not considered. Of course, my main interest are good schools for my children. Where we live now, we know towns that have great homes but the schools are not good. Thanks for any insight you may have!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Yes, I guess that is a bit broad. We like the easy access to the city but don't want to live right in it. We were thinking somewhere close to the Raleigh-Durham area. Close enough to drive to the coast within a couple hours. I have a friend moving to Cary but not sure if that is the place for us. I am trying to collect some information on towns that I may have not considered. Of course, my main interest are good schools for my children. Where we live now, we know towns that have great homes but the schools are not good. Thanks for any insight you may have!!
You missed the entire point...where will your job be? We get, and understand, the fact that you want good schools.

There are a few areas (mostly around urban areas) that have good schools...but what do you like to do for hobbies? What are your kids interested in?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,584,321 times
Quote:

Judging by what you've said, it sounds to me like you may want to reconsider Cary. What are the reasons that you think it's not the place for you? I'm a mom with several young children, and we lived in Cary for awhile. The schools were wonderful, it was a really family-orientated community, and it was close to Raleigh (only 15 minutes or so) as well as the coast (2 hours or so). It was a great area.

I'd also recommend Wake Forest, which is another area right outside of Raleigh with great schools, great athletic programs, great subdivisions, close to major cities and the coast, etc. I'd recommend looking into that as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
You missed the entire point...where will your job be? We get, and understand, the fact that you want good schools.

There are a few areas (mostly around urban areas) that have good schools...but what do you like to do for hobbies? What are your kids interested in?
Yes, NC is a big state. There are a lot of nice, family oriented areas with good schools. How close do you want to be to the beach?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

15 posts, read 46,421 times
Fayetteville is a great place to raise a family. There are two elementary schools in Cumberland County that are schools of distinction, and they feed into a Great middle and High school. House prices are great a lot of job opportunities as well.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Depends on how you want your kids to turn out.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Thank you for all the responses!! We are planning a week trip in November so I will make a point to visit Cary, Fayetteville, and Wake Forest area. My friend's parents are in Wilmington so we are stopping there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina