U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM

20 posts, read 36,737 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering moving out of New York State. I've lived here all of my life (35 years) but am looking for a change and a better life for my family. The taxes and cost of living keep rising (so does the insanity of the politicians but that is mostly everywhere... I digress)and I don't see relief anytime soon.

I am considering NC. Can anyone suggest good places in NC? I'm looking for an area that borders on suburban/rural (I live in Queens County and would like an area that is like Central/Eastern Nassau County in the '70s and '80s in terms of density).

I work in IT and could possibly work remotely with my current employer. I know Cary is near a big tech area but is it becoming too populated?

I'm also a Freemason, so if anyone on this board is one I'd also appreciate some guidance on local lodges (if, in fact I do move to NC.... TN, VA, SC and GA are in the running).

I don't want too much, do I? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,235,670 times
The IT industry here has been hard hit in the downturn. Working remotely for your employer would be a good idea.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,655,321 times
honestly, you'd be better off considering other areas in the ne within close proximity to nyc. long island, westchester county, jersey city, etc.

the job market is terrible everywhere but nc has a higher unemployment rate than nyc, the it field is not good in nc right now, there's less going on in nc than in ny (given), public transportation is inadequate in comparison (also a given), wages are definitely lower, there are less opportunities, etc.

at least if you moved out of nyc and to the surrounding areas, you can always go back. consider what would happen if you moved so far away from nyc and take a huge pay cut but you don't have a plan b.
also consider that everything comes with a cost (sure, cost of living is cheaper in nc but that comes with cons as well).

think about it, visit the area you're thinking about moving to (if its nc, visit, stay for a lil bit, etc.). not sure if you have already (i'm assuming that you've already visited nc)...

then again, you're asking if cary is becomming too overpopulated so you seem like you're ready for the drastic change you'd get from nyc to nc.

good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,326 posts, read 14,045,399 times
try the Ft. Bragg, Fayetteville area, also lumberton (raython is there)

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,235,670 times
NYC to Lumberton? Now that's a culture change.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
NYC to Lumberton? Now that's a culture change.
REALLY, lol!! That would not have been my first suggestion either!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,326 posts, read 14,045,399 times
Well I am originally from Long Island. I work at Ft. Bragg, and live in Lumberton, its an easy commute to work or to enjoy the beach at Willimington and Myrtle Beach, or to go to the mountains for skiing. Lumberton is a nice neutral location with easy access to all.

the home that I bought which is 3500sf on a full acre with an inground pool for 200k would EASILY cost 1.5 million on long island.

I love North carolina....is there some culture shock, yes...do the schools leave a little to be desired. yes...we go to plays here, and the oprah, there are parks and pleanty to do......mostly what I miss about Ny is the food...miss my pizza, and bagels

Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 AM

656 posts, read 1,272,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenr74 View Post
Hello,

I'm considering moving out of New York State. I've lived here all of my life (35 years) but am looking for a change and a better life for my family. The taxes and cost of living keep rising (so does the insanity of the politicians but that is mostly everywhere... I digress)and I don't see relief anytime soon.

I am considering NC. Can anyone suggest good places in NC? I'm looking for an area that borders on suburban/rural (I live in Queens County and would like an area that is like Central/Eastern Nassau County in the '70s and '80s in terms of density).

I work in IT and could possibly work remotely with my current employer. I know Cary is near a big tech area but is it becoming too populated?

I'm also a Freemason, so if anyone on this board is one I'd also appreciate some guidance on local lodges (if, in fact I do move to NC.... TN, VA, SC and GA are in the running).

I don't want too much, do I? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Allen
Actually Allen, the taxes in NC are just as bad as new york , also true in SC, and to an extent GA, the cost of living may be a bit lower but your salary may be lower, and trust me the politicians may just as bad, in fact NC just raised taxes.

Tennessee does offer a lower cost of living, generally speaking and it is true the home prices are cheaper, I presume you are looking to cash out since you may have lived in nyc for a long time in a home (you mentioned taxes), if you can do it it may be a great idea but only if you make a lot of profit that would negate your lower salary.

Also, the taxes on homes in nyc are not that high as percentage of value, in fact the other states are just as high and if not higher, although Tennessee has no state income tax on most income and low property taxes

Last edited by FlyDrive100b; 08-20-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 AM

The property taxes are just as high too and so are income taxes. North Carolina's tax burden is among the nation's highest along with new york, so your argument is wrong and unemployment is higher in NC too then new york state.

It sounds like the typical rhetoric a lot of think tanks use to compare new york with states like NC, you know its easy to spot something like this by doing some fact checking.

In fact for many years North Carolina income tax was much higher than new york states at over 8%, actually it still is higher , but not by much.

I am pretty sure that the people who aren't happy there, aren't happy because NC is not much better than NY in terms of state tax business climate, its just that a lot of people may have cashed out and bought cheaper homes, although the taxes are just as high as percentage of value if not higher, people like to try to use rhetoric about new york which has problems, but when someone starts comparing states like NC and using that rhetoric they need to check facts.

It's an easy way to spot misinformation and bias on part of the author.

By the way salaries are much lower too, are you moving your business to pay workers lower wages aka right to work state and cash out your house, if so that may be a bit smart if your household salary does not change, but consider other states like TN where they are not as high taxed.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-30-2009 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Default Actually, that may not be a smart move

That may not be the wisest move due to several factors.

First the poster, has not indicated as to where his job will be, if its in NC and he lives in SC he has to pay NC tax, so taxes will not help him and vice versa although you get a credit if you reside in another state the liability is the same regardless since the rates are similar,

South Carolina's income tax is also just as high although other taxes are a lower than NC it ranks more as to the middle of the pack as taxes, so whether he moves to NC or SC he is still taxed basically the same rate, corporate taxes are a bit lower in SC, and you still have to pay a personal property tax.

Add this and the commute because you won't be saving much, I suggest the poster skip the Carolinas altogether, his reason for leaving new york and going to the carolinas is exactly the same reason someone would leave the carolinas and go to Tennessee or another low tax state such as nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina